Follow Us On Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube Watch us on Google+
Register
Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Default 30-31 Model AA build (shorty)

I picked this derelict up yesterday. Up until now I couldn't even begin to name my project. Been collecting up parts and pieces....AMC, Chrysler,Chevrolet,Ford....looks like a bunch will be represented by parts if nothing else.
    Got this for $350. Purty good pile and different choices for directions to go.

Default Donor

This is a deal I got on a rolling chassis. This is a DJ5 Jeep roller. 232 I6,727 tranny, Dana44 posi with 3.07 gears. It was right hand drive. Got a Saginaw steering gear box out of an early 70-s Gremlin that fits ok for the left hand swap. This frame is real short to try a truck on but I'm going for a "shorty". I have 2 s10 donors too. One a extended cab reg bed and the other a reg cab short bed, both of which would probably make an easier move with crunching everything together. We'll see! hohohoh!

If some of you more knowledgeable guys can skool me on whether there are any differences in the front axles on Model A and Model AA trucks, please let me know. At some point I'd like to upgrade that AA axle and have been studying for gathering parts to do it. I've seen info on swapping to 53-56 Ford front brake pieces to upgrade to juice brakes....just don't want to be looking for parts that won't work on this one. Looks like it's going to be a long search. I can't afford the kits offered around.
    While I'm gathering parts, I'm going to do some changes on that funky looking AMC tube axle to push the front end out.....maybe quarter eliptics....
    Running this cab on such a short donor frame is going to be a challenge but the cab I scored is already a mess and my first chop can't possibly screw it up anyway worse. I'm thinking of tacking all the pieces together temporary and then figure what I need to do to fit it on the frame. Maybe a change in the firewall to gain a couple of inches forward on the cab. I either need to slide the cab forward or narrow it to clear the rear tires. Oh man, what a shorty little bed....I'll be lucky to get 3 feet.
    The good thing about this Jeep frame is that the frame rails offer chances to shift things around as the same features are available exactly the same from side to side and the cross members are bolt ins with extra holes everywhere on the rails. Lowering it all is not going to be much of an option. If I get it much lower than it sits already, I'll never make it out of my 1 1/4 mile sugar sand driveway :)....

AMC tube axle

Quote Originally Posted by smallfoot View Post
    If some of you more knowledgeable guys can skool me on whether there are any differences in the front axles on Model A and Model AA trucks, please let me know. At some point I'd like to upgrade that AA axle and have been studying for gathering parts to do it. I've seen info on swapping to 53-56 Ford front brake pieces to upgrade to juice brakes....just don't want to be looking for parts that won't work on this one. Looks like it's going to be a long search. I can't afford the kits offered around.
    While I'm gathering parts, I'm going to do some changes on that funky looking AMC tube axle to push the front end out.....maybe quarter eliptics....
    Running this cab on such a short donor frame is going to be a challenge but the cab I scored is already a mess and my first chop can't possibly screw it up anyway worse. I'm thinking of tacking all the pieces together temporary and then figure what I need to do to fit it on the frame. Maybe a change in the firewall to gain a couple of inches forward on the cab. I either need to slide the cab forward or narrow it to clear the rear tires. Oh man, what a shorty little bed....I'll be lucky to get 3 feet.
    The good thing about this Jeep frame is that the frame rails offer chances to shift things around as the same features are available exactly the same from side to side and the cross members are bolt ins with extra holes everywhere on the rails. Lowering it all is not going to be much of an option. If I get it much lower than it sits already, I'll never make it out of my 1 1/4 mile sugar sand driveway :)....

AA's are heavy duty versions of the A's- Thicker axle- bigger king pins, bigger perches, and spindles are bigger in diameter, and possibly longer. Standard A parts will not fit on AA axles. Buddy of mine is using one and had the spindles turned down to fit Chevy bearings and is running Nova rotors and discs on his.

Thanks for the info! I understood that the frames were bigger, just didn't know if the axles differed from A Models...thanks again, that'll give me another option for upgrade.

Been collecting parts for a while now. Got the pieces of the rust puzzle temporarily tacked together. Lots of stuff to work on.

Last edited by smallfoot; 09-16-2013 at 03:07 PM. Reason: pix

Pulled the motor and tranny yesterday and started stripping the neccessary parts off to "stretch" the frame some. Today I snatched the front axle and removed brackets and other non needed stuff. Still have to remove the front section of this frame in order to fab up the Model AA front clip. Thinking about chopping at the high point of the front frame hump over the axle. It'll give me a small Z. I've got ideas and measurements that lead me to believe I can add the frame rails off the AA and make the seam real close with what I have. The point where the taper of the AA rails intersect with my DJ rails will be very close by sliding the A rails around the DJ rails. Maybe not easy to explain but I'll post pix when I check it out closer. Have to chop the AA front clip back off the PO's frame start with 2x4 steel. More pix later...this build will be done trying to lower some but I still have to maintain some drivability as my driveway will stop me from going anywhere otherwise. About a mile and a half of bad, 2 rut road consisting of nothing but God's pure sugar sand. Only thing good about it is that I've never bought blasting media for the sand blaster. Just a bucket and a screen and ready to blast...heheh!

Last edited by smallfoot; 11-08-2013 at 06:17 PM.

Talking

I had the front frame clip off a Model AA. It's looking like a good fit to lap it in place the way I thought. I cut the DJ5 Frame at the highest part of the front rise and slid the two frame rails from the AA right up on the original frame. Cut slots in the outside corners of the AA frame rails back to where it touched the DJ5 frame on top. It gives me 7" off overlap and I'll take the heat wrench to the top of the AA frame and massage it down to the top of DJ5 frame. Then I plan to hit the several frame holes with plug welds and a perimeter weld inside and out. I don't believe that fish plates will be needed. This gives me enough rise in the front rails to sit where I want it with the axle underneath.

Using a 1953 F truck front axle. Mocking it up with a piece of 3" channel as a cross member. Was going to use the original cross member but the AA was off from what I needed.

Maybe not as low slung as some on here, but I will use use it and I have to get in and out of this place...

Got some things done lately. Built some axle brackets, welded the batwings to them, mocked up the hairpins. Increased the wheelbase from 82" to 110" by adding the front frame rails of the AA. Fixing to set the motor in it and do some subframing on the cab to set it on too.
    Here's a few pix.

Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast