Follow Us On Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube Watch us on Google+
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Model A project

Default Model A project

just picked up this 29 model A and a 34 chassis. the body is very solid. it has already been chopped 3in and the roof has like an s10 roof welded in and has a motorized sunroof. i wanted to chop a lil more than three inches but i think i will just leave it where it is, the guy who did the work didnt do the greatest job putting the roof skin in you can see in the pics is pretty uneven and the visor is completely crooked. there are a couple places that will need patched but nothing major. has a new cowl tacked on. i plan on using the suspension and rear end from the 34 and building a new frame. this will be my first rod build so im sure i will be full of questions when i get started. but i need to finish my chopper first, which wont be long, its about ready to paint and assemble. here is some pics of the A just sitting on the 34 frame.

thats a nice body man. keep us posted.
    cApTeN ICON

nice find and a great start, keep us posted

50 Chevy Fleetline 2 door, all original, Drove and SOLD
    53 Bel-Air , 95 mustang gt front suspension, setup for 350/350 combo, and alot of rust!!! FOR SALE - $500.00

Gona Be A Good Looker

thanks guys, im going to pick up a flathead stroker motor tomorrow, and gonna order some coker classics as well, should be finishing up my chopper soon, and then it will be go time on this thing, i cant wait to get started. the motor im getting has a 48 rear. does anyone know if a c4 trans will bolt up to it? or what would be a good auto trans to put on it?

here are a couple pics of the flat head i picked up. it is called a "french" flathead...from the research ive been doing on this motor and what i learned from the guy i bought it from is that france made and used flat heads all the way up until the early 90's. were used mostly by the french military..a company called Halibrand, bought a huge inventory of brand new complete motors and parts still in crates off of the french military, and built some stroker motors out of them. this is one of them...it is basically brand new, only has be test run. the previous owner took apart the top end because he was going to upgrade it to stainless valves and aluminum heads, unfortunately he misplaced a couple of the valves. so i will probly go ahead and get stainless ones, aluminum heads, and a 3x2 manifold for it...ive been reading about these motors online, and i found out what some of the numbers on the block mean, and learned that my block was casted in 1980. the US stopped production of flatheads in 1953..these newer blocks have some updates from the older american motors. and from what the guy told me, mine has been bored to aprox 254cu in. he is looking for the paperwork he has on it. im gonna measure the cylinders to see what the bore actually is. i also found that speedway sells trans adapters for mounting up a c4 trans. so i need to find one next.
    if you are interested in stuff like this, here is a link to an older page that has some info on these motors.
    http://flatheaddrag.com/french.html
    and here are a couple pics, will take some better ones later

Looks like a great start....you ARE planning on ditching the sunroof right?
    LOUD AND PROUD!!!!!

KillBillet Approved

Quote Originally Posted by ridin98ci View Post
    Looks like a great start....you ARE planning on ditching the sunroof right?
    yes i am! that thing is horrible, im thinking about doing removable tarp top, or i will just fill it in, either way, the whole top is getting cut out, its so uneven

If it were mine I think I would just fill in the sun roof...my 2 cents
    LOUD AND PROUD!!!!!

KillBillet Approved

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast