Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Welcome to Killbillet. Take a moment to tell us who you are....

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey everyone I am a new member and trying to navigate this site. I am hoping to have my first attempt at a rat rod on the road this spring. Itís a 1952 L130 on a 1984 Dodge Ram 2500 frame with a Cummins 4wd 5 speed drive train. I like all the odd trucks. Fargoís Dodge and International. I got this truck from someone that had started the build but ran out of steam to get it finished. I am in Manitoba Canada so the truck it has to be safetied and have working windshield wipers, signal lights and defrost. I have had taken it out for a ride so the mechanics are pretty much done and I am moving on to wiring and gauges

Comment

• Sounds cool! Can we expect a build tread in the 50s truck section?

Comment

• Originally posted by 73Harley View Post
        Hey everyone I am a new member and trying to navigate this site. I am hoping to have my first attempt at a rat rod on the road this spring. Itís a 1952 L130 on a 1984 Dodge Ram 2500 frame with a Cummins 4wd 5 speed drive train. I like all the odd trucks. Fargoís Dodge and International. I got this truck from someone that had started the build but ran out of steam to get it finished. I am in Manitoba Canada so the truck it has to be safetied and have working windshield wipers, signal lights and defrost. I have had taken it out for a ride so the mechanics are pretty much done and I am moving on to wiring and gauges
        Would love to see a thread, and pics!
        I'm in Alberta, and just got my build, registered as a 1918 done and on the road this past spring.
        Of you have any questions feel free to ask.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	20210814_200054.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	2.16 MB
ID:	730156

​​​​​​​
        Attached Files
        My build thread:
        https://www.killbillet.com/forum/20s...at-is-it/page7

Comment

• Hey burnin#2 I donít have a lot of pictures but I will post what I have when I figure out how to. You have an awesome truck. In Manitoba we are limited with what we can do, canít have open wheels everything needs fenders. Exhaust has to be routed behind the cab. I spent a lot of time on the phone making sure I donít miss anything, it would really suck working your butt off and then having to change it to get it registered. I love that low open wheel look but I would never be able to get it on the road here.

Comment

• We have the same regulations in Alberta, but I found "grey areas"
            So, what I did is got a CVIP inspection at a local highway tractor shop. This is permitted only on 1 ton and up vehicles. Since mine is a dually, during registration told them it's a 1 ton.
            the trickiest part is finding a mechanic that does CVIP's willing to do it on your build (after all its their number that goes on the inspection)
            Heres where it gets really grey... I used my engine serial number as the VIN, (which is what was done in that era, number on engine, frame, body all matched)
            so, I just told registry what year I wanted it to be and they created my VIN in the system.
            now, since it's registered as a 1918, you only are required to have the safety items that were mandatory in 1918.
            so, nobody has been able to tell me that fenders were a safety requirement in 1918, nor is where the exhaust exits any different (also no front bumper)
            thats what worked for me, I'd avoid at all costs getting a gov. "assigned" VIN, cuz then it's registered as a 2021 homebuilt, and may be required to have all 2021 required safety items.
            good luck!
            My build thread:
            https://www.killbillet.com/forum/20s...at-is-it/page7

Comment

Working...
            X