Home made tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home made tools

Some of you guys get pretty creative with your rat builds, I want to see some of the home made tools that got them to where they are now.

Here's a couple. First, my homemade stationary bandsaw conversion.

Built a base outta 1" square tubing.............

Added a support bar.............

Bought this 3" Craftsman for $2 at a garage sale and mounted it................

Built the table structure...................

Cut the top from a chunk of metal I found in the dumpster...........

Mounted my Milwaukee 6230 portable and presto, chango.............staitionary bandsaw!

It works great! Cut all the tubing and bracketry for my roadster frame on it!

Next up is the speed reduction mechanism on my drillpress. I had gotten this 1950's Craftsman floor model DP off of Craigslist for a great price. It was pretty scungy but the spindle spun true and didn't make any noise so I tore it apart and restored it.

It spun too fast for metal work so I needed to slow it down. A speed reduction setup was a Craftsman option back in the 50's but good luck trying to find one! So........I built my own! The pulley was $25. The rest set me back another $2.50.

Drilled a hole and welded the bolt to the steel blank.............

Flipped it over and welded the steel blank to the top of the DP post.........

Installed the bronze bushing, pulley, another bronze bushing and topped it with a washer and nylock nut. $12 in new belts and now I've got a variable speed drillpress with a ton of speeds and the lowest speed is 175 rpm! Perfect for drilling axle lightening holes!

Lastly is my funnel drain system. Technically, not a tool but pretty handy none the less. No more dripping, oily funnels. Compact and outta the way, I always know where the funnels are and they're always clean and ready to go! A couple of pieces of wood, some scrap PVC pipe and a chunk of SS trench drain that I nabbed, where else, out of a dumpster!

It stays hidden away behind the compressor...............

Last edited by 2.3Turbo_T; 08-24-2012, 10:59 PM.

Comment

I love the funnel drain.

Comment

I like the porta band holder. For the last 20 years or so I would just stick one in a pipe vise and wire the switch on. The winers would say ITS NOT SAFE and Id want to punch there lazy faces in. But showing the lazy pricks how to do it was a little reward.

Ron

Registered Six offender

Comment

Built this Vertical bandsaw about 12 years ago from a saw I was parting out, can't imagine not having it in the shop.
          Attached Files

Comment

My roller and press brake I built..
            Attached Files

Comment

Built a louver press a while back and now a cnc plasma table kinda ghetto bit they work well.

I still have to make my slats for the table just don't really have the scrap pieces to make it yet lol

Last edited by hoitink; 08-30-2012, 08:27 AM.

Comment

Did u make the louver die?

Comment

yeah it's just 1/2" steel and ground to shape.

Comment

great pics!

Comment

cool

I always like these threads, I always see something I need. Here is my belt grinder, uses a 2"x72" belt. It is built mainly from extra stuff, there are a few different attachments with different size wheels. I use it all the time.
                      Attached Files

Comment

cool

here is the coolant system I added on to my drill press. It uses a propane tank as a coolant reservoir and a regular 120v pump. I really like it for when I am using hole saws.
                        Attached Files

Comment

paint

here is a simple paint shaker I made from some scrap and an old garage sale drill. I will hold a quart or a full gallon
                          Attached Files

Comment

roll bender

And finally here is my roll bender. This was alot of work to bulid, but it is handy to have around. I got the drive unit out of a pile of scrap. This bender must weigh more than 300 lbs. I arced the rear link bars for my current build, it also put the arc in the top of our outdoor movie screen.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by hoitink View Post
                              Built a louver press a while back and now a cnc plasma table kinda ghetto bit they work well.

I still have to make my slats for the table just don't really have the scrap pieces to make it yet lol

Any photos of it in action? tell me more.................................

Comment

Working...
                              X