Most older Jeeps have the e-brake system you're
    looking for. Adapting this to your build is what
    Ratrodding is all about. There is no "off the shelf"
    system available to fit your needs. You gotta
    figure out a way to make it work.

Leave a comment:

• ronn
    replied
    INVU has it right. why cause yourself extra problems?

Leave a comment:

• INVUJerry
    replied
    Why not just use antique plates? You register the car once and they’re good for the life time of the vehicle. I usually put 10k miles on my station wagon during the summer and never get pulled for it.

Leave a comment:

• DHJ
    replied
    Willys Jeeps and older CJ5s have an emergency brake
    that attaches between the transfer case and driveshaft.

Leave a comment:

• ls1
    replied
    Originally posted by Hamstn View Post
    While you are searching, and to give you another idea, look for line lock. I have no idea how they work as a park brake or would pass inspection.
    Will not work. Emergency brake has to be separate from main braking system.

Leave a comment:

• Hamstn
    replied
    While you are searching, and to give you another idea, look for line lock. I have no idea how they work as a park brake or would pass inspection.

Leave a comment:

• ls1
    replied
    Originally posted by darrell1955 View Post
    does any one know if you need emergency brakes for inspection in Pa. on a rat rod or hot rod; and if so can I purchase a pinion mounted emergency brake system that hooks up to the drive shaft? to get it inspected; my rat has now way to mount the emergency brakes to the wheels at this time. the drive shaft system is the only way I can go if I have to do so; in order for it to pass if I need to hook up a emergency brake. thanks guys
    Do you have a computer or are you posting off your phone? All these questions you are asking are easily found on the net in about five minutes.
    You state in another post that you don't know if its a Ford or Chevy rear end. Really? How do you know it's not from a Russian taxi cab.
    Assuming it's a Ford or Chevy, you still would need to know if it's a Ford 9", 8", or maybe a 8.8" As for a Chevy it's possibly a 10" or 12".
    You can tell the difference from twenty feet away in the Ford has a drop out 3rd member while the chevy has a rear cover to get to the gears.
    Even then you need to know your specific rear end as not all parts are inter-changeable. Lots of sites on the net have detailed info and pictures to easily allow you to know.
    Putting back or fixing the emergency brakes in your rear end would be far cheaper than using this setup from Speedway.
    I bought a complete rear disc brake setup for my Ford 9' off ebay which came with everything from the nuts and bolts, slotted rotors,pads ,brackets,built in emergency brakes,hoses and cables for $308.00 including free shipping. Lots of kits in the $350.00 range.
    This is less than the speedway parking brake when you include their shipping cost.

1bigrat was kind enough to go on the internet and post the regs for you.

And to finally answer your question. NO, the speedway parking brake will not work.
    If you read the regs 1bigrat posted it says that you need a emergency brake . If you read the bold statement from Speedway, it makes a point to tell you this setup is NOT a emergency brake but a parking brake only.

You really need to do your own research instead of coming on the board and asking questions about whats legal and not legal and possibly taking their advise. What would be your next step if someone replied" yes it worked for me or looks good to me" and you spent $400.00 to buy this setup, get it installed and being turned down at inspection. Do you think the inspector would care what someone from the board told you.
    Last edited by ls1; 03-01-2015, 05:17 PM.

Leave a comment:

• 1bigrat
    replied
    This is what I found on Google,

Subchapter K. STREET RODS, SPECIALLY CONSTRUCTED AND
    RECONSTRUCTED VEHICLES
    § 175.203. Braking systems.

(a) Condition of braking systems. Braking systems and components shall be compatible and in safe operating condition as described in § § 175.80, 175.110, 175.130, 175.160, 175.190 and 175.220.

(b) Service brakes. The service brakes shall act on all wheels upon application and shall be capable of stopping the vehicle in not more than the maximum stopping distance prescribed in Table I (relating to brake performance). Every street rod, specially constructed vehicle and reconstructed vehicle shall be equipped with a service brake system which is identical to the originally manufactured brake system; except, if the original system has been modified or the street rod has rear tires wider than 9 inches, the service brake system shall be of a design that rupture or failure of either the front or rear brake system will not result in the complete loss of braking function. Braking function may be obtained by hydraulic or other means through a normal brake mechanism. In the event of a rupture or failure of actuating force component, unaffected brakes shall be capable of applying adequate braking force to the vehicle.

(c) Refuse trucks. A vehicle reconstructed as a refuse truck and designed to be operated from an unconventional location—usually the right side of the vehicle—shall be equipped with a system that prevents movement of the vehicle when the operator is not at the controls. This system shall engage the brakes and lock the transmission in neutral. This system need be operative only when the vehicle is being operated from the unconventional location.

Source

The provisions of this § 175.203 adopted December 2, 1977, effective February 1, 1978, 7 Pa.B. 3499; amended July 31, 1981, effective August 1, 1981, 11 Pa.B. 2686; reserved July 9, 1982, effective July 10, 1982, 12 Pa.B. 2181; amended October 29, 1982, effective February 1, 1983, 12 Pa.B. 3862; corrected November 12, 1982, effective February 1, 1983, 12 Pa.B. 3947; readopted December 2, 1988, effective December 3, 1988, 18 Pa.B. 5362. Immediately preceding text appears at serial pages (82391) to (82392).

Leave a comment:

• darrell1955
    started a topic emergency brakes for hot rods in Pa?

emergency brakes for hot rods in Pa?

does any one know if you need emergency brakes for inspection in Pa. on a rat rod or hot rod; and if so can I purchase a pinion mounted emergency brake system that hooks up to the drive shaft? to get it inspected; my rat has now way to mount the emergency brakes to the wheels at this time. the drive shaft system is the only way I can go if I have to do so; in order for it to pass if I need to hook up a emergency brake. thanks guys
Working...
X