law on the lowest chop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• law on the lowest chop

yeah i have a 1935 dodge pickup truck and i want to chop it this weekend or the next. i am just wondering how low can you chop a car with out getting a ticket i heard that the windshield had to be a standing dollar bill tall which is like 6 inches but i have seen lower if anyone know let me know and i live in michigan so it would have to be there laws i guess thanks

im in california and i dont honestly think your leagally alowed to chop the roof on a car but people do it all the time it just depends if your dooing anything to get the cops attention.. good luck with your chop
    I WISH I WAS RICH, INSTED OF SO GOOD LOOKIN

Comment

Mines less than the dollar bill way of measuring and don't care! Years ago coppers kinda knew the "car" laws....Todays newer generation of cops (at least in my area) Don't sem to have a clue.

Just behave yourself and you'll be fine!
      Tom
      FOX FABRICATION
      Brookfield, CT

Comment

simplest way, just go ask a cop or go to the dmv and get a vehicle code handbook. in california they run about $12 at dmv.
        cApTeN ICON

Comment

I know it is different state to state. As general rule, don't give them a *reason* to stop you and you won't have a problem.

I have never seen a "chop" law enforced, but I have heard of "obstruction of view" laws being enforced. The obstruction was a big a$$ tunnel ram and hoodscoop that came to the top of the windshield. Of course the driver was acting like a fool, so they busted him for anything they could.

Also, why would you want a windshield less than 6 inches? You couldn't hardly drive it if it was smaller than that, unless you like to rest your chin on the steering wheel.
          Last edited by hotrodbill; 10-14-2009, 08:38 PM.
          The price of scrap metal is the number one threat to our hobby.

Comment

This is a little shorter than a soda can no problem with the fuzz
            Last edited by Spider; 10-26-2009, 11:33 AM.

Comment

well i thank all of you guys for helping me out with this i know i have owned a 1969 chevy truck and its choped it was my first car and i never plan on selling it i just live in a little town and one of the cops do not like me so every thing i drive he pulls me over and i just dont want to go to court anymore and fight tickets so i figured i would ask some of you guys on here to help andi appreiate it because i am only 19 and building and driving traditonal hot rods ismy life and i want to do it as long as i can i am just getting my bussnies around so i can start building cars for the guys who dont have the time or skills to do it but they can come over and help with there car so they can learn on how to do it so thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by RiffRaff
                Rile of thumb with a chop is if you can't fit a dollar bill (6" standing end to end) between the center area of the windshield,it's illegal,mostly because it falls under the obstruction of view laws. So,you're supposed to have at least 5 inches of visibility between the top and bottom of the windshield at it's narrowest point(Center). Any othwer laws you want to know about,I can pretty much find'em.
                Hey man you think you can find the chop law in missouri for me. I've looked but cant seem to get an answer.
                Thirst is a shameless disease so here's to a shameful cure

Comment

Call your State Highway Patrol. In California is the the discretion of the officer. If he or she does not feel like it is safe then they right you a fix-it ticket and you fix it or take the car off of the streets. I drove around a car with a 5" windshield for a couple of years and never had a problem. Also, If you driving a custom/modified car don't drive like and **s. Your asking for a ticket. I know a lot of our cars do not fit within the letter of the law and most cops leave us alone.
                  Old and Low is the Way to Go!

Reverend_Grimm13 is my Hero!

Comment

The law in PA is 12" minimum vertical windshield height. It's one of the things that is supposed to get checked during the enhanced inspection that is part of getting street rod or specially constructed vehicle registration. I can't find it right now but it's somewhere in the vehicle code. I see lots of cars less than 12", so I don't think it's enforced much. In PA the inspections are done by private shops and most of the guys that do the enhanced inspections are car guys like us.

Comment

dollar bill in s.d. but mine is a half inch smaller but i dont think they will care
                      Build it and drive it screw trailer queens
                      All comfort has been sacrificed for style
                      1931 ford model a sedan rat rod
                      1931 ford model a coupe rat rod
                      1947 cadillac ambulance
                      1948 cadillac Hearse (hauls motorcycle)
                      1957 chevy stepside

Comment

they don't say much here in Colo. have seen a few less than 6"

Comment

Cops are fairly ignorant these days. You can get away with most anything on an old car in Missouri. I wouldn't sweat it man, they dont really check stuff like that anymore. And **** the police anyway right?
                          Taste, style, and class...Some people have it and most people don't!

Comment

Originally posted by ratroder35 View Post
                            well i thank all of you guys for helping me out with this i know i have owned a 1969 chevy truck and its choped it was my first car and i never plan on selling it i just live in a little town and one of the cops do not like me so every thing i drive he pulls me over and i just dont want to go to court anymore and fight tickets so i figured i would ask some of you guys on here to help andi appreiate it because i am only 19 and building and driving traditonal hot rods ismy life and i want to do it as long as i can i am just getting my bussnies around so i can start building cars for the guys who dont have the time or skills to do it but they can come over and help with there car so they can learn on how to do it so thanks again
                            OMG this is one sentence.

Comment

Out here Manitoba Canada the law it 10" of vertical glass

Comment

Working...
                              X