need help getting it registered

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need help getting it registered

I got a truck from a family friend who dad owned it the problem is no nows were the title is I'm building a 38 international rat rod so if any one can help or has a title please let me no

Check into the DMV from the state you get it from, in the "lost title" dept. Keeps it legal that way.

Comment

Originally posted by 23dodges10 View Post
      Check into the DMV from the state you get it from, in the "lost title" dept. Keeps it legal that way.
      Yep, do it legal. All these guys that buy titles may get away with it over and over, BUT, when they do get caught, life can quickly turn to ****. You can lose the car, good luck getting things titled in the future, but ITS A FELONY in all 50 states.

Comment

Originally posted by prewarcars4me View Post
        Yep, do it legal. All these guys that buy titles may get away with it over and over, BUT, when they do get caught, life can quickly turn to ****. You can lose the car, good luck getting things titled in the future, but ITS A FELONY in all 50 states.
        Here's the problem there is no Vin number on the body of my truck so I have no start

Comment

Thats when they do a bonded title and issue you a VIN. Do what you want, but I had a friend here in AZ buy a New York title from a guy that was selling them online (early 2000s). Titles were clean as they came from an OLD wrecking yard and the car had been crushed from years before. He stamped the vin in the frame, ordered a vin plate from a resto shop, stamped it, it all looked pretty good.

Few years later, the guy selling the titles gets busted as different states were losing tax revinue from the titles. The guy gave up all the names he sold titles to as part of the plea deal (he still went to prison, just less time).

My buddy gets a knock on the door from detectives, they acid test the stamped frame, confiscate the car, throw cuffs on his happy ass.

State keeps the car, crushes it after the trial. He got convicted, did 6 months in jail, 5 years probation. Worst part for him, EVERY time he goes to title a car now, they require a bond (even on the newer family driver) and its a real PITA.

He saved about $50 buying the title over doing it legally.

With all that said,,,,, its your choice in life. Odds are definately in your favor that you wont be caught, so only you can weigh the options.

Me personally, I would AT A MINIMUM try and find out what it takes to do it legal.

Comment

1938 Dodge 2 door sedan, if you are interested.

Comment

Originally posted by prewarcars4me View Post
              I'm try to do it legal but worst come to worst I might buy one just so I don't get busted for it be in on the road at all its not a daily I fought it ever goes to work with me just something to build and say I did it thanks for all the advice

Comment

Do you won't to sell the whole 38

Comment

Originally posted by speedy65 View Post
                  Do you won't to sell the whole 38
                  Was telling you the type of car he got busted title buying. Reason why, Model Ts used engine numbers, not body/frame, so buying a t title, for example, is a bit safer.

Good luck with whatever direction you go, just hope you dont end up being a fudge packing recipient from Bubba in the pen.
                  Last edited by prewarcars4me; 02-24-2014, 07:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X