No announcement yet.

Rivets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, I just talked to my Son. Here is where he bought the gun and aluminum rivets:

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/to/rivet.html

Don

Comment

Thanks Don, put that site in my "favorites"for future reference. Still dont quite understand all the weird shapes of the "buckingbars". I guess if there was a how-to video it would be more understandable.
      If it aint steel it aint real

Comment

You really don't need those bars. Dan just laid the backside of his rivets against a flat piece of steel on his welding table. Any hard, flat piece of steel that won't move works great, especially with the aluminum rivets.

Don

Comment

Thanks again Don. I have a drawer full of steel rivets,I`ll have to try "bangin" on a couple of them to experiment on how hard they are.(just for fun)

Comment

I've heard of guys preheating the backside of steel rivets with a torch to soften them and make them easier to buck, but never tried that myself.

Don

Comment

rivets

I use to work at a trailer manufactor and we used to use a larger head pop rivet when we were not able to get behind it to buck , then we would use a drill powered head shaver to make it look just like a buck head rivet, used the same to repair postal jeeps and trailers that were wrecked, DUCKMAN

Comment

What does that head shaver look like and how does it work?

Don

Comment

Originally posted by donsrods View Post
                  What does that head shaver look like and how does it work?

Don
                  I used to be in the RV repair business. We had a shaver like this for Airstreams. (When blind rivets were the only option).

http://www.vintagetrailersupply.com/..._p/vts-177.htm
                  A SMALL MIND FITS EASY IN A SWELLED HEAD

Comment

I was wanting an industrial look to the ole Jeep Rhino so I took after it with some big ass rivits. I mean what says INDUSTRIAL better than Rivets? I couldnt get to the back side so I drilled a small hole, Dabbed a couple of drops of JB kwik epoxy on the back of each head and drove them in. It kind of gave it a puckerd appearance. I tell everyone that it was stock in 1963 and only a few came from the factory that way as a promotional thing. Most people believe it! Just something different.

Last edited by Metal Twister; 06-04-2011, 01:36 PM.
                    SCRAM...

Comment

Twister, Nice touch to make an ol` Jeep cool. That thing is exactly the same Jeep I use to plow snow from my driveways. It donated it`s dash cluster,fuel sending unit and fuel filler tube to my 37 build, posted under $3000 club.

Comment

solid rivets and how to shoot n buck

Okay guys, first thing is you don't use an air hammer to shoot rivets!!!! The tool is called a rivet gun, looks similar, but has a variable trigger where an air hammer is all on or off!! Second you need to look at a store called "the yardstore.com" they sell aircraft tools, and third, yes its a lost art to do it correctly!!! Having been an aircraft sheetmetal/structure mechanic for 18 years I know a thing or 2 on this subject, so lemme know if you need any further advice or help in the right direction.

Comment

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page...vet%20squeezer

Comment

Working...
                          X