68 289 2V Performance upgrade advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 68 289 2V Performance upgrade advice

Hey All, I am in the middle of a 1926ish Model T build. The chassis is now a roller and I am moving on to the body and engine. When I got the body, it belong to my wife's grandfather, my father in law gave me a 1968 289 2V with a C4 that was pulled from a Falcon with 20,000 miles on it in the early 70s to go with it. The engine still turns over and was complete including the air cleaner. My original plan was to get it running and just run it as is......and then I started thinking.....so I am going to do a budget performance build. After a ton of research here is what I believe the engine specs are. 1968 289 2v with 63cc heads, 8:1 compression, 2BBL stock intake with a Autolite 2300 carb. My plan is to put flat top pistons to move the compression closer to 8.7ish, mill the heads .030 to bring it up to 9.5ish. Pin the stock rocker arm studs and install TFS beehive springs with the stock rockers and better pushrods. I am going to port match the heads, grind out the egr humps, and a light polish. To finish the top end I will use the edelbrock performer RPM cam and intake with a 1406 (600 cfm with vac sec) carb. I am keeping the C4, putting in a 2500 stall converter and using 3.90 gears in the axle. For exhaust, I have custom fit headers with 2.5" collectors. I know there are better head choices but I like the look of the cast iron and really don't want to put a ton of money into the heads. The car will be a light Model T bobber that will obviously not spend a lot of time on the highway. Anybody have any recommendations or suggestions for the plan? Any help is appreciated!

Just some food for thought: your plan sounds fine.. I'm not really an engine builder so cant tell you how it will perform..
    but what I immediately though about seeing the relatively low compression... just put a turbo on it.
    You need low compression to turbo a gas engine.
    You will need a either a blow through carb, mount carb ahead of turbo inlet or just go fuel injection.
    Look at it this way, leave the bottom end as is, spend your money on the induction.. that way, if you blow up the engine, just change it out with another long block and swap all the goodies over.
    My build thread:
    https://www.killbillet.com/forum/20s...at-is-it/page7

Comment

Would imagine a killer Ford motor guy will jump in. I'm not that guy but that sounds like a decent combination and vaguely familiar! Do be encouraged and enjoy it along the way. Take plenty of pics and...take plenty of pics.

I used similar components in my first hot rod. In 1979 at the ripe age of 21 (LOL) I drug home a '30 Model A tied on a t-bucket frame with a rope. In that frame was 289, C-4 trans and Ford rear end. Camp fire story made short, the rebuild for the 289 was K.I.S.S. method. Had the block cleaned and magnifluxed, and the heads resurfaced and rebuilt with stock components. When getting them back I did port matching, deburred the exhaust ports only, and pinned the studs. Mild cam, T-Bucket headers, and topped it off with a Weiand high rise and a pair of Holley 600's with progressive linkage. Definitely had more bark than bite but it looked really neat and was built on the cheap. Not equal performance wise compared to what you have in mind (yours actually matches up) but it ran good and provided some fun reliable cruising. Even drove away from our wedding in it in 1981. Would definitely be considered a rat today.

Keep building those memories.
      https://www.killbillet.com/forum/30s...the-30-chevyMy 1930 Chevy truck build link:

Comment

Thanks for the words of encouragement guys! Burnin, I had given the turbo idea some thought. That compression would be perfect. It is definately an option for the future. Maybe a junkyard twin turbo even. For now I am just trying to get it on the road as cost effectively as possible. Old Stuff, this body is pretty close to the same as yours was. It appears to be be a four door body that someone cut the back two doors off and scooted the rear pan forward....very poorly I might add. The frame was a basic rectangular 2x3 frame that had a rear kickup. It was set up for a cross spring front and rear coil springs. I redid the frame with a Z and taper to match the body line and taller kickup. The suspension is now 1/4 elliptical front and rear with friction shocks in the front and standard shocks in the rear. I will see if I can get some pics up later today. The engine combo I think is pretty close, just wasn't sure how well the factory rockers will hold up to the lift and 6000-6500rpm on occasion. I found set of Chevy flat top pistons that I had pulled from a marine engine. The dish in them is half what the stock Ford ones are. I know the rods will need to be resized for the pins and the valve reliefs altered but It would bump the compression up a half point or so.

Comment

Where's them pics at?! LOL
          https://www.killbillet.com/forum/30s...the-30-chevyMy 1930 Chevy truck build link:

Comment

Working...
          X