Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intercooler lacking airflow. Need suggestions!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intercooler lacking airflow. Need suggestions!

I'm on my first build right now, a 53 REO f22. It is sitting on top of a 2nd gen dodge cummins. It has a flat steel bumper. Due to space I have to tuck the intercooler behind the front bumper and it wont see much airflow.
    I understand how intercoolers work, so I get that putting a fan behind an intercooler is almost pointless.. however in my case, if my intercooler is not going to see air from anywhere else...

Can I substitute a fan for actual air flow and just run the fan full time? Are they rated for full time?

My only other option is to mount the intercooler vertical, and that is something I've never seen done.

Let me hear what you've got. I'd add pictures but I cant get them to load on this site.

Pictures seem to be working now since they got the update going. Try and repost some so we can get a better idea of what you're talkin about. I do not see a reason why your intercooler could not be mounted vertically. I would get it away from the big air dam in the front of the truck.
    Clutter is the evidence of life!

https://www.minterfab.com/

Comment

This truck has a 12 valve cummins in it and space is a little tight. My intercooler is 26 inches wide and in so, the only place I have to mount it is either behind the bumper or vertical

Comment

Any input? I would really like to mount it vertical but I cant find any info supporting that idea

Comment

Your I/C can be mounted vertical, upside down, at an angle or whichever way you want. The only thing flowing through it is air.

Here's a couple of ideas I thought of. Looks like you've got room behind the grille, can you mount it back there?
          How about mounting it behind the bumper, like you said and cutting a hole in that big steel bumper and covering the hole with expanded metal screen?
          Mounting behind the bumper, or elsewhere and make an air dam to direct air flow to the I/C?

I mounted my small Audi S4 I/C inside the racecar nose of my roadster. Limited airflow through the small grill opening so I made a ram air type of deal to direct airflow. Made an airdam to direct air towards the I/C.......

then I sealed off the area between the nose and radiator to keep the air contained within the nose.........

Been driving it for a few months.....works great!

BTW, luv that Reo truck!!

Comment

That is a cool truck!...
            woukd live to see more pics..
            and oh yea, mount that intercooler wherever and however, direction it points is irrelevant to its function...
            My build thread:
            https://www.killbillet.com/forum/20s...at-is-it/page7

Comment

Working...
            X