My unusual T-Bucket powerplant build.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My unusual T-Bucket powerplant build.

I have been putting the proverbial cart before the horse on this build as I started with the engine before building the car. Although, I guess it's technically the horse before the cart. But I wanted to start a progress thread for the latest engine I've put together for myself with the intention of going in a T-bucket project.

I can not stress enough the level of budget and penny pinching I've attempted to do for this one by use of junkyard, dismantler, craigslist, Ebay and chinesium parts yet still have a build I can be proud of. Irregardless, just as every project, it is currently nickel and diming me to death.

I introduce the late 90's BMW M62B44 shortblock. 4.4L V8:

10:1 compression, 286hp & 310 ft-lbs of torque in stock naturally aspirated trim.

You see the addition of head studs, you'll find out why in a little bit.

Although getting rare, take out engines are cheap. I can not believe how cheap these engine assemblies go for. In fact, so much so I bought two. The M62 has an achilles heel. You see that plastic U-guide for the timing chain, it has a tendency to shatter...because plastic. Note the use of a single sprocket crank gear for a single chain.

Cue engine #2, an early 90's M60B40 4.0L V8, 10:1 compression 282hp & 295 ft-lbs tq.

Note the full length double roller timing chain both for crank to cams and from cam to cam. This design uses a timing idler gear instead of the plastic U-guide. Engine #2 is going to donate it's cylinder heads, timing set up and misc hardware for the M62 shortblock. It is claimed the M60 heads have slightly bigger valves and slightly bigger cams then the M62 heads. It was also believed that because both engines have 10:1 compression that putting the heads from the lesser displacement engine on the bigger displacement engine bumped static C.R from 10:1 to closer to 11:1....however, as I found out by measuring is not the case. It is said that M60 cam's are 246/242 degrees duration and .380"/ .370" lift, using BMW cam timing tools it's said O.E cam timing is 109 ICL / 108 LSA. I've yet to verify this info but will soon.

On the M62 the pistons sit .025" above deck and have a slight dish to them. By my measurements I found roughly 4cc of volume in piston dish.

Opened up the bank 2 coolant port in the block to closer match the bank 1 port size for equal coolant distribution:

M60 cylinder heads back from machine shop:

Measured combustion chambers, found a surprisingly uniform chamber volume of 52cc in each chamber.

The M.L.S. gasket I could find for the M62B44 application is spec'd at 1.74mm (.069") compressed thickness.

...by my calcs this will yield a static compression of 9.66:1, we'll say 9.5:1 for conversations sake.

M60 heads on M62 shortblock pictured with intake manifold adapters & serp idler.

...intake manifold adapters for what, you say? An late 90's Jaguar XJ8 Eaton M112 supercharger, heat exchangers and intake manifolds. An automotive dismantler find.

BMW S65 exhaust manifolds, more junkyard finds. Not a direct bolt on but I've got a plan

The M60 head gaskets have the upper to lower timing cover gaskets built in, the M62 head gaskets do not. In order to maintain the OBD1 style 60-2 crank trigger and VR sensor I needed to use the M60 timing covers. Nothing a roll of gasket material couldn't resolve.

Color:

(You can see I still need to pull, flip and press back on the supercharger pulley for alignment)

Flipping the S65 manifolds around might give a close enough exit angle to clear the T-bucket cab...

That's where I'm currently at with the engine build. My next post will be talking about the engine management of choice for this build.

The plan in my head is to mate this engine to a BMW Getrag420G 6speed manual, put into T-Bucket rails with a Jaguar independent rear end and '27 body....sounds easy enough :-P
    Last edited by Mykk; 05-23-2018, 08:03 PM.

This outta be a hoot! Definitely outside the box. Looking forward to the next installment!!

Comment

Engine management of choice, a budget system: A DIY standalone EFI controller that you build yourself, program yourself and tune yourself (kinda, more on that in a bit) called Speeduino, using an Arduino Mega2560. I've already got the system up and running in a mid 90's BMW with an M60B40 V8 & 6spd manual. This car will eventually serve as the donor parts car for the T-bucket build (6spd manual trans, driveshaft, mounts...misc).

Wired the Speeduino to the vehicles engine harness.

Since Speeduino uses 4 output channels for injectors and 4 channels for coil logic out the V8 gets wired in semi-batch fire injection and waste spark ignition by pairing up the two cylinders that are 360 apart from each other.

I took the opportunity to use MSD waste spark 4cyl coils & MSD DIS-4 ignition box....Ebay finds.

I'm feeling the individual BMW coil packs on the supercharged build, keeping clutter to a minimum in a simple chassis & body.

The system uses Speed Density algorithm or Alpha-N algorithm , tuners choice. Speed Density will be the obvious choice for the boosted engine using Speeduino's built in MAP sensor capable up to 250kpa of manifold pressure (21psi of boost).

Speeduino uses TunerStudioMS software, same as megasquirt. The registered version of the software can build a base VE map to get the vehicle running and then will make automatic VE adjustments while driving based on wideband O2 input.

First fire up and test drive after install:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRjPw6jeFoU

I figured I might as well take advantage of the internal system monitoring and live data so I built a digital dash using a RaspBerryPi3 and a generic screen & driver. I plan on using the screen as the T-Buckets dash. I just need to add a GPS sensor for a speedometer and wire in and program fuel level sending unit through Speeduino to read in the software. The RaspberryPi can handle any tuning changes a laptop can so the car will have it's own tuning computer built into the dash.

I can even make an old timey wooden background with vintage looking gauges to match the platform
      Last edited by Mykk; 05-25-2018, 10:33 AM.

Comment

Very cool, motor looks really good!
        Clutter is the evidence of life!

https://www.minterfab.com/

Comment

Had a chance to dial in cam timing last night:

Found true TDC with dial indicator and an SBC pushrod:

marked dampner at 0 for ignition timing alignment laer on:

Installed degree wheel, using some scrap aluminum stock I bolted it to timing cover and marked zero TDC:

Installed and aligned cams using aftermarket BMW timing blocks.

Tool to take out timing chain slack:

Getting the dial indicator on the face of the hydraulic lifter. I then turned engine by hand and marked where cam timing event's occured, using two measurments; .1mm and 1mm

Measured cam timing events at Cyl#1 and Cyl#6, since those cylinders are 360 apart and on opposing banks I wouldn't need to move the degree wheel to get all four cams. When all was said and done I found that Bank1 cam timing was 2 degrees retard from bank2. I liked Bank2 timing events better so I spun engine to TDC advanced 2 degrees and re-aligned Bank1 cams only with the timing blocks.

After verifying that both banks cam timings matched each other the final verdict is:

@.1mm lift:
          Intake opens 12 BTDC / Intake closes 48 ABDC
          Exhaust opens 48 ABDC / Exhaust closes 12 ATDC

240/240 duration -108 intake centerline / 108 lobe separation

@1mm lift:
          Intake opens 2 ATDC / Intake closes 33 ABDC
          Exhaust opens 33 BBDC / Exhaust closes 7 BTDC

211/206 Duration - 107.5 Intake centerline / 108.75 lobe separation

I'm getting the impression the cam has asymetrical lobes and a more agressive intake valve opening ramp compared to exhaust thus the 1mm timing event threw off the ICl & LSA.
          Last edited by Mykk; 05-30-2018, 09:49 AM.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Mods, if so pleases feel free to move to appropriate section.

Comment

Fantastic build. Thanks for sharing!
                  How involved was bolting the jag charger to the BMW? You mentioned adapter... I assume all home made?
                  My build thread:
                  https://www.killbillet.com/forum/20s...at-is-it/page7

Comment

Originally posted by Burnin#2 View Post
                    Fantastic build. Thanks for sharing!
                    How involved was bolting the jag charger to the BMW? You mentioned adapter... I assume all home made?
                    The adapters are by a machinist that made a set or his own project and sells them to other enthusiasts, probably not very high volume.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Lookin' sweet! This board has been pretty dead lately but don't let that stop you from posting updates. A lot of us diehards check in here regularly and I'm sure I speak for many in saying...….this is an awesome build! Keep the updates and pics comin'!!

Comment

Comment

I like that a lot! How are you going to cover the gas tank? Gene

Comment

Working...
                              X