Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have an idea but im not sure if it will work...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have an idea but im not sure if it will work...

So i have an inline 6 250 that I'm about to use in a build. I was trying to think of some cool exhaust ideas and I ran across a video where the guy had I think a 32 Ford and he ran the exhaust out of a split manifold, down and up out the passenger side of the engine compartment. From there he installed 2 pipes up in the air like stacks. I really liked the idea.

I am wondering if I can copy his idea (or maybe it's a common thing that I've never seen) but when I turn up, split the pipes so I have 4 stacks coming up instead of just 2. I think it would look kinda cool in there but will that open my exhaust up too much? I don't know much of the super technical side of mechanics so forgive me if this is me over thinking but would that cause me to lose too much back pressure? My plan is no cat and no mufflers. I'll risk the ticket. Thanks
    Last edited by WhiteDog; 05-10-2018, 12:32 PM. Reason: I cant spell gud
    Don't listen to me, I'm just the new guy

A lot of Demo derby guys run the exhaust up rather then running it down. Most just turn the manifolds up rather then pointing them down. I've also seen them run single pipes for each cylinder turned up, think zoomies pointing up instead of down. But, most demo cars are not exposed to things like rain, and most are not subject ed to needing mufflers or to quite the exhaust in any way. Farm tractors have had the exhaust pointing up for a very long time.

Not sure how it would work on your inline 6, I'm thinking 6 pipes pointing up, with tractor style flapper pipe covers. Gene

Comment

sounds like a really good idea..... I mess with this old Inliners a lot (love the look, and they are really cheap to come by).
      the problem you will run into on it though....... Heat, or lack of for that matter.
      you have to get heat to the bottom of your carb via the intake manifold.
      the stock exhaust is designed to do this, and it keeps you from icing up when clouds roll over, starts to rain, or you come into cooler weather (even driving near rivers or irigating fields).
      12 bolt.com has an Offy Heat Plate that you bolt to the bottom of your intake, and plum in through your water lines.
      $25 part, that solves 90% of the headache people talk about with split exhaust on these old inliners.

https://www.12bolt.com/
      (and there is a lot of other goodies and tips on that site as well)

as for the mufflers...... I'd leave them out too, but I would either make, or buy some "baffles" for it.
      they are really easy to make, and it takes a lot of the "cackle" out of it.

Comment

I used spiral baffles in the last sedan we built. Made the pipes alittle quiter and the now sound better. Along with just alittle back pressure
        Clutter is the evidence of life!

https://www.minterfab.com/

Comment

Ok. Thanks for the tip about the heat. I'd read about folks doing that but didn't realize it was a real issue. I thought it was more of a performance thing. Good advice on the baffles too. Thanks yall
          Don't listen to me, I'm just the new guy

Comment

12bolt.com has a lot of information and parts. I have a few (2) 250's and (2) 292's. One of the 292's has had a lot of work to the head. BBC intake and exhaust valves / decked 0.020 to raise compression / flow porting and lump ports. These engines are incredible. I am putting a 292 into a 54 Pontiac 2 door HT. Hope to be driving in the spring.

Comment

Working...
            X