Help reverse engineer Flatty with full flow oil filter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help reverse engineer Flatty with full flow oil filter

I have a friend that bought a rebuilt Flatty...125 over, merc crank, relieved, aluminum heads, dual carbs. For some reason he does not want a full flow oil filter system. I'll take the modified parts then. Are there any step by step instructions on how these are normally modified so I can help him reconvert it back to stock. Thanks in advance.

Common practice on flatheads is to not use the filter system and change oil every 2-3 thousands miles depending on usage.

Comment

Agreed, the most common way to add filter is drill a hole into the gallery then let part of the oil flow through the filter. My last 8BA build (full race balanced stroked bored , ported relieved etc etc etc) I just change oil every 3K and drive the ears off it. Runs just fine for a lotta miles.
      I did this on the advice of one of the premier flathead machinists in North America as thats how he runs his blown flattie.

Comment

That's why I'm trying to help my buddy out. He bought a motor already modified and he wants to undo the filter system and he asked me to help. I just keep thinking....."no good deed goes unpunished". I know obviously the pan and oil pump was modified. My biggest concerns are if oil galleys were opened, closed, enlarged, or restricted to do the mod.

Comment

Is it actually a full flow system, meaning ALL the oil from the pump is directed through a filter? Because that's different than what bentouttashape describes, taking partial flow from a gallery....
          Maby some pics?
          My build thread:
          https://www.killbillet.com/forum/20s...at-is-it/page7

Comment

Working...
          X