Pontiac firebird 350 vs. Chevy 350

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pontiac firebird 350 vs. Chevy 350

My 52 international project came with a pontiac 350 off a 67 firebird. I'm really thinking of selling that and going with a chevy 350. Is there any reason why I should keep and stick with the Pontiac 350? All the research I've done seems to lean on the chevy side.

I looked around and found this on the internet.....................

The Pontiac 350 is basically a big block, as the block itself is the same dimensions as the 400 and 455, but it has a much smaller bore. Bore and stroke for the Pontiac 350 is 3.876 x 3.75 compared to the Chevy 350, which is a true small block, 4.00 x 3.48.

Pontiac 350 makes for a decent daily driver, just don't expect much in the way of performance, or even the ability to upgrade it. It just can't breathe with the small bore and head design. It can't be made into a 400 either. They share the same stroke, but you'd have to bore it out dang near .245 over, which can't be done.

Everyone knows of the potential for the Chevy 350, so I won't go into that.

So basically the Chevy 350 is smaller, lighter, and can be made to run much better. The Pontiac 350 is bigger, heavier, and will never run near the Chevy. Although Pontiac did make a 350 HO than ran faily well, but the Chevy is still a much better choice.

Comment

Thanks... yea I've done alot of research on the subject found all that info. I just wanted to hear people's opinions, Since I have the firebird 350 and tranny. 350 Chevy seems like the better choice.

Comment

I'll echo Turbo T as well - the SBC is very affordable in every aspect. In addition there is a demand for the Pontiac motors for some folks like me. I would rather take a 400 of 455 but for a Rat Rod - the 350 works as well. Put it on craigslist and you could probably make enough money from it to buy a good running 350.

Comment

Cool any idea on what I would be able to get for it? It's off a 67 firebird with matching tranny.

Comment

Do some research on the Firebird forums to give you an idea. Then, list it on Ebay. Whatever the winning bid is, is usually the current market value. Collectors always look there for hard to find stuff and seeing as it's a numbers matching combo there should be some people looking for that.

Comment

Cool thanks!

Comment

Working...
              X