Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TRW Pistons question

Hi All,

I bought a set of pistons, TRW L2278 , I am confident they are 327 chevy +.030 I just am unsure of the compression ratio , I just cannot find any info on them

Any help would be greatly appreciated

I am building my dream engine

327 large journal steel crank in a 350 4 bolt main high nickel block with these pistons , a set of X rods , 462 heads, with gear drive, roller rockers and stud girdle , Tm1 intake , Mallory YL dual point ( brand new , bought it years ago and never used) aluminum flywheel , and thinking of a L79 sold cam , should be fairly strong.

then the search will continue as to what to put it in .

thanks guys

leave message here

The TRW 2278 pistons you have are 12.5 to 1 compression ratio. These are old obsolete TRW pistons and I have not seen a set in a long time. It was a relative low cost "FORGED" piston. This is a lucky find for you depending on what your plans are for this motor. If it is going to be a track motor then the 12.5 to 1 is no problem at all. as you can run 110 octane race gas. If your idea is to run this in a street car that could pose a problem depending on a few things. One what cam?--the camshaft and its profile can raise compression by as much as a point in some cases. Next is what type of car? If it is a light weight car like a coupe or roadster and the weight is pretty low, you probably will be just fine with premium fuel. If it is a heavy car then you are in for some problems with detonation.

Remember compression ratio is the fast way to more horsepower, trouble is today we do not have the fuel to support that higher compression ratio. Most good engine builders will almost not build a street motor with more than 9 to 1 or 9.5 to 1. One thing that can be done to help is aluminum heads, you can actually run about a full point more compression with aluminum heads.

If I had a set of these pistons I would build a motor around them, it would be a light weight car and I would have aluminum heads and use premium fuel and back the timing off a might to help with the detonation. I would not run a L79 cam they were not a solid cam by the way but a hydraulic cam, this cam first cam out in 1965 and was a barn burner no doubt about, but there are a lot of much better suited cams today.
    Protected people will never know the intensity life can be lived at. To do that you have to understand completly the meaning of the word "DUCK"

Comment

Working...
    X