Coolling System Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coolling System Question

I just put a new aluminum rad in my ride however due to space the top of the rad is slightly above the top of the intake manifold but below the top of the thermostat housing and the upper rad hose is angled down from the housing to the the rad. I have installed an expansion tank for overflow from the rad filler cap on the side wall of the engine compartment about 6" below the top of the engine and rad. I've always had problems getting good cooling on this engine so I'm hoping that the rad being slightly lower will not be a cooling system problem.
    Any thoughts?

I would use a inline radiator filler like this. You need to get all the air out of the system at it's highest point.
    http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performan...53098/10002/-1

Comment

Interesting ... will keep this idea in consideration!

Comment

You could also drill a 1/8' hole in the thermostat and jack the front of the vehicle up in the air until the radiator cap is the high point of the system and fill it this way. I would leave it in the air for a while to make sure all the air is out of the system.

Comment

Originally posted by ls1 View Post
          You could also drill a 1/8' hole in the thermostat and jack the front of the vehicle up in the air until the radiator cap is the high point of the system and fill it this way. I would leave it in the air for a while to make sure all the air is out of the system.
          Hey ls you're the first to say that, good one! My shiny rod I did that plus put a pet cock in the thermostat housing. My rad was also below the housing. you could bleed the air and add coolant until it was full.

Comment

Originally posted by ls1 View Post
            This is how I deal with mine. I call it burping the system....

Comment

Anyone have experience with a mini rad style trans cooler vs an extruded fin type? Both claim to be able to reduce the trans oil temp by up to 30 degrees. The mini rad style would be hard to package on my vehicle.

Comment

Working...
              X