318 LA electronic ignition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 318 LA electronic ignition

Getting the TBI off this smog engine. Switching to carb. I will switch to electronic ignition. Need advice on type for this 1990 318. HEI coil in cap like GM, or a Ready to Run Mopar small cap -type unit with coil on firewall.
    I think I will have plenty of room for the bigger GM style cap and like the simple one wire hook up and not having to mount a coil. I have used this before. Found some for $70 to $100.
    Not familiar with MOPAR stuff. Do I need a control box or a resistor, too?
    What do you all think?

Thanks

Crusty2r. Look for a HEI for the Chrysler 318. There from Davis Unified Ignition or DUI. I made on for myself. One wire and use a 2 wire porceline. Dang it. Cant think what there called the older 80's chevys had them. Mounted on the fire wall. Thats all you need. 12 volts from the keyswitch to distributer. Then a wire from keyswitch to starter. Should fire up.

Comment

Check out this site. They used a module from a HEI on a Mopar.

http://www.allpar.com/fix/electronic-ignition.html
      Thanks,

Wade

Have a Big Time!

Comment

Used one from CRT perfomance. Small cap HEI vac advance, wires, cap,rotor, coil and hardware for about$140 Instructions left to the imaginaition but once I figured it out- works great.

Comment

Got a small cap HEI complte and Ready to Run from CRT performance. $140 cap/ rotor/ wires/ coil and hardware. Intruction were fair, but once I figured it out- it runs great!

Comment

Working...
          X