Keeping my chevy 194, help with MODS!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keeping my chevy 194, help with MODS!

OK I know you guys will come up with 100 reasons as to why it needs to go but I am liking the idea of keeping the 194 in my 1930 chevy 1.5 ton truck. Now I just need to figure out how to make it breathe fire. Built lots of performance engines in my time but I have to say that the smallest six that chevy makes has not been high on my priority list. So here's a short list of what I am thinking. Keep in mind I will be using a power glide behind it.

Bore and replace pistons for lighter assembly
    Blueprint and balance the rotating assembly
    upgraded towing/rv camshaft
    shave and port head for increased compression and better breathing, new valve seats a given for unleaded fuel.
    Exhaust header
    Fabricated intake manifold, possibly 3 single barrels?

Alright, I know that this is a lot of work to do but I can do most of it in my machine shop and mostly because I want to vs a need to. So what I need to know is what factory parts can I use to get some of these things accomplished? Larger replacement pistons for instance. Anyone build an intake manifold for this engine? Specs?
    Any help is appreciated.

after a little more investigation, the casting number on this block is 835501 which puts it in the 216 range, not the 194. So that is a little better. Carry on.

Comment

If its a 216.I wouldn't push it too hard.It should have babbit bearings and they are known for weak oiling systems.The later 235 had insert bearings and drilled crank for better oil flow.Go for a 250 or a 292 if you want power.

Comment

so you have a newer engine then- dual carbs will do the same as the triples, with less synch problems- unless appearance is the main goal

you might want to consider looking on some of the model A sites............... reason being, there are guys pulling over 200 hp out of 4 cylinder A engines. you might be able to apply some of the same principals.

many more A engines out there being rodded then 216's I believe.

regarding the 216 vs the 235............... in 1950 the auto trans used the 235 and the manual the 216. the 235 started in the early 40s-with manual cars all using the 216. so poor old IH is absolutely right.

the 216 can have inserts installed and that would be the wise choice, if keeping your engine.
        Last edited by ronn; 07-01-2016, 03:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X