Help with installing timing tab on 350 chevy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with installing timing tab on 350 chevy

I replaced my timing cover with one that has no marks so I am going with a bolt on non adjustable tab. I am little confused but this is what I am going to do and I am not sure it is right. The tab is a Mildon 65507 model for a 7" balancer. It mounts on side of the timing cover. This is what I plan to do.
    Get # 1 coming up towards tdc. Install my piston stop too in cylinder. Roll it up by hand until it is against the tdc tool and mark the timing tab at 0 degrees on the harmonic balancer.. Then I will roll the motor backwards until it comes in contact with the tdc again. I will then mark the harmonic balancer again at o degrees. From my understanding the point between these two points will be true top dead center. I will then put me a small line on the harmonic balancer marking this point.
    Now my question is when I remove the tdc tool and roll the motor back forward, when my line is on O degrees on my timing tab will that be top dead center. Can't seem to understand this.

If anybody can explain this I would appreciate. Seems like to me what I said would be how to do it but not sure. Thanks

the outline you laid out above is the correct way to find the true TDC mark on the damper.

now you can install a stick-on tape style degree marker, or have a machine shop mark it out with grooves into the surface of the damper.

usually you would mark it every 2 degrees form TDC to 60 degrees before TDC, then a mark at 90 deg., 180 deg., and at 270 deg.

Comment

Install your non adjustable timing tab and rotate engine clockwise until the 0 on your crankshaft damper is on 4 degrees BTDC. set your piston stop. now rotate you engine counter clockwise until it hits the piston stop again. Your tab should show 4 degrees ATDC. The difference between the two should be the 0. If the piston stops at something like 6 degrees ATDC, your non adjustable tab would be off by 1 degree or half the difference between 4 and 6 degrees. As long as the 7" tab is a match for crankshaft pulley,
      it should be right on unless your crankshaft key is offset.
      Last edited by ls1; 06-11-2016, 04:34 AM.

Comment

Just realized on my post I put 350 cu in instead of 305cu in. I have a 305. Installed my new timing tab today. It is the one I would say at about the 2:00 position. Really do like it. This is what I did. Got the #1 on compression ready to fire. Almost to the top of travel. Then I put my piston stop in and rolled it on clockwise until I felt it stop. Then I marked a mark at 0 degrees on the damper. Then I rolled the motor backwards until I contacted the piston stop again and put another mark on the damper at 0 degrees. I measured between two and it was 2 1/4 inches. I split the difference and made a good mark on the damper. Fired it up and showed 6 degrees before tdc which is about what I figured. I just didn't understand that I was establishing and new mark on the damper at tdc to go with my new tab. It seems like all the article I read just said to put a mark on the damper but not where. I think I have it now. Now to play with the carb some. I had put a thread about help with edelbrock 1405 carb. Going to lean it down a little.

Comment

Working...
        X