Radiator Suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radiator Suggestions

I'm building a 29 Sedan Tudor. Almost got the frame finished, looking to set my motor and trans very soon. Now I'm looking at buying a radiator and electric fan. Don't know which way to go. I've got a Blown Chevrolet 427 and a built 350 trans that I don't want running hot. I'm gonna run a 160* thermostat. Any suggestions is greatly appreciated.

What model or size grill shell is my first thought. Room sometimes dictates size. There are some reasonable 4 cores out there.

Comment

I'm planning on running the 29 grille shell, and no hood.

Comment

With a blown rat motor that needs to be cooled (big) and a '29 grille shell to fit the rad in (small) it would behoove you to spend the funds and do it right. Otherwise, you wont be happy! It's no fun driving your ride a few blocks before you have to pull over and let it cool down! Walker (brass and copper) and Griffin (aluminum) are 2 quality companies. Here's some reading for you...........
        http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/t...iators.479551/

You want a rad that can hold the most coolant, has the most fins per inch and as many rows as you can accommodate inside the '29 grille shell. Also, with a huffer up top I doubt you're running a mechanical fan therefore, a good quality electric puller fan (think Spal) with the biggest motor/blades/cfm output you can fit needs to be installed.
        Basic HVAC: Coolant absorbs the heat molecules from the hot engine block as it flows through the water jackets. More coolant, higher absorbtion rate. As the now hot coolant passes through the rad those heat molecules are dissipated by the incoming air that flows across the rad tubes. Hi-flow fan = more air passing over tubes.

Bottom line - spend the dollars now, you won't regret it! Would luv to see a pic of your setup!

Comment

Even an extra cooler for tranny will help. Amen to the no shotcuts. "build it right or build it twice"

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20160223_095807.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	586983
            Originally posted by 2.3Turbo_T View Post
            With a blown rat motor that needs to be cooled (big) and a '29 grille shell to fit the rad in (small) it would behoove you to spend the funds and do it right. Otherwise, you wont be happy! It's no fun driving your ride a few blocks before you have to pull over and let it cool down! Walker (brass and copper) and Griffin (aluminum) are 2 quality companies. Here's some reading for you...........
            http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/t...iators.479551/

You want a rad that can hold the most coolant, has the most fins per inch and as many rows as you can accommodate inside the '29 grille shell. Also, with a huffer up top I doubt you're running a mechanical fan therefore, a good quality electric puller fan (think Spal) with the biggest motor/blades/cfm output you can fit needs to be installed.
            Basic HVAC: Coolant absorbs the heat molecules from the hot engine block as it flows through the water jackets. More coolant, higher absorbtion rate. As the now hot coolant passes through the rad those heat molecules are dissipated by the incoming air that flows across the rad tubes. Hi-flow fan = more air passing over tubes.

Bottom line - spend the dollars now, you won't regret it! Would luv to see a pic of your setup!
            Click image for larger version

Name:	20160223_095807.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	586983

Comment

Yep, that'll work!!!
              Give Walker a call, they're in Memphis..............
              http://www.walkerradiatorworks.com/

Comment

Working...
              X