Olds Big Blocks!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Olds Big Blocks!

Along with my rat truck build Im also restoring a 1967 Olds 442 clone for my father in law. (cant beat building something bad ass and not having to pay for it! Oh and also he is paying me to do it as well) Any who......I have never really dealt with Olds motors but I will tell you what my next build will for sure have an early 70's Olds big block in it. They just look mean. They are massive!

Here is the motor that is going in the 442. Its a 65 Olds 425 that with all the BS that we put into it should be around 450 HP. But we will really know when it goes to the engine dyno next month to be broke in and have HP numbers pulled.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130930_175703.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	631033

there really is no "big" block Olds engine .

they all are basically the same, the 330, 350, 403's are low deck engines, and the 400, 425, 455 are tall deck versions of the same block.

Comment

I know that they are not as different as a SBC but they are still referred to as small block olds and big block olds motors. But I do know that all the block are not alike because there are some pretty big diffences in the big block olds blocks other than the 90 V shape.

Comment

I had a 72 Olds 88 with a 455 Rocket. Plenty of torque, hard on the rear tires! It also had a gas leak. Everytime I stepped on the gas, the tank would go empty!!!

Comment

Haha! Yeah I think that's what's going to happen with the 442.

Comment

Originally posted by olddave View Post
            there really is no "big" block Olds engine .
            They indeed are commonly referred to as "big block." In my book anything with 425 cubes is a BIG BLOCK!

Comment

Here is a quick video of the motor in the car running for the first time. 442 First Start With Motor In: http://youtu.be/Je8A8aFTY6A

Comment

Originally posted by DulliesRule View Post
                Along with my rat truck build Im also restoring a 1967 Olds 442 clone for my father in law. (cant beat building something bad ass and not having to pay for it! Oh and also he is paying me to do it as well) Any who......I have never really dealt with Olds motors but I will tell you what my next build will for sure have an early 70's Olds big block in it. They just look mean. They are massive!

Here is the motor that is going in the 442. Its a 65 Olds 425 that with all the BS that we put into it should be around 450 HP. But we will really know when it goes to the engine dyno next month to be broke in and have HP numbers pulled.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]114358[/ATTACH]
                Yeah, and they also sound wicked with a big cam....

Here is how I know....one of our olds big blocks. The other is sitting on my dad's garage floor. I might be pulling this bad boy if I can find me a good deal on an LQ9 and trans for the olds.

Comment

Working...
                X