5-speed question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5-speed question

Been contemplating a project. Something from the late 30s. I figure it will weigh about 2500# give or take.

Intial engine will be a small V8 with around 200HP at 4000RPM, but I may go for something larger later.

Been looking at the AX-15 that comes in some Dakotas and jeeps. I think there's one locally I can get for under $100 if I pull it, maybe even closer to $50.

Ratios are 1st 3.83, 2nd 2.33, 3rd 1.44, 4th 1.00, 5th 0.79

I think the trans will handle anything I plan to throw at it, but is 1st too steep to be useable? If not, what rear gears would you recommend with this box and vehicle?

This would be a driver/cruiser only, but I'd like it to be fun while still allowing decent highway mileage.

I don't have enough experience swapping manual transmissions and gears to have a feel for what will work well. Thinks can disappear from the junkyard, and this is the only AX-15 there, so I'd like to grab it if it's useable.

The truck with the AX-15 was gone, but I came up on a Mustang with a T5.

It's the V6 (3.8) model, which is good for 265ft-lbs but that rating is in a 5000lb vehicle.

The engine I'm looking at puts out 275, but I should be close to half the vehicle weight, and with skinny tires, I think the trans will do OK.

Comment

i have a 5 speed out of a v8 camaro in my truck. works great, only have a 307 and truck weighs about 2000 lbs. so hopefully i'll have no problems. good luck.

Comment

I'd love to find a V8-rated T5, just for the extra peace of mind, but the price tag is a little high for my taste.

Actually, a Mustang V8 T5 would have been perfect.

I need the bellhousing off a 2.2 S-10 to mate up with the engine I plan on using (GM 60degree V6 with a driver side starter), and by that time (early/mid 90s), GM had switched over to the Ford-patterned T5-to-bellhousing bolt pattern. So the trans I got will work OK for my plans.

I did talk to a guy over on the H.A.M.B. who uses AX-15s with early Hemis, and those engines have a similar output to my engine. He likes the wide gear spread because the engine has a wide torque curve. This T5 is probably not going to be perfect, but it's still better than a slushbox.

Comment

Remember that the T5 had numerous input shaft lengths and diameters. I used the V6 T5 on my '50 Buick straight eight and had to use an adapter to move the tranny back a bit. If I had used a V8 tranny (shorter input shaft), it would have mated right to the bellhousing.

Take goodl measurements.
          Last edited by Rande; 08-23-2011, 03:23 PM.
          "If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck"

N4ZYV
          '37 Chevy PU
          '37 Binder D2
          "66 Mustang

Comment

Thanks for the tip Rande.

I wonder if bellhousing depth is a factor.

The one I have, according to this page http://www.mackstrans.com/BorgWarnerT5WC.html is a 10" shaft, but the bellhousing I need would have been mated up to a S-10 2.2 which has a 9 1/4 shaft.

I plan on getting the whole S-10 trans.

I haven't taken one apart yet, can I swap input shafts between the two?

Comment

Dont forget all the ax15 also came with a transfer case bolted to the back so you would have to deal with that also.

Comment

Originally posted by jduffy01 View Post
                Dont forget all the ax15 also came with a transfer case bolted to the back so you would have to deal with that also.
                Not all of them. There were 2wd and 4wd versions.

Jeeps mostly had 4wd, but Dakotas had mostly 2wd.

Comment

Jeep used the AX15 from 1989 (the actual change over occurred during 1989 production) on. The Comanche and Cherokee used them. Both 2wd and 4wd. Not sure if the Wrangler used it. Before '89 they used the Peugot (sp?) BA10. Be sure of what you are getting when getting a Jeep 5spd.

The AX15 is superior to the BA10.

Finding 2wd Cherokees and Comanches is easy in the south. Up north they are rare.
                  "If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck"

N4ZYV
                  '37 Chevy PU
                  '37 Binder D2
                  "66 Mustang

Comment

Originally posted by Rande View Post
                    Jeep used the AX15 from 1989 (the actual change over occurred during 1989 production) on. The Comanche and Cherokee used them. Both 2wd and 4wd. Not sure if the Wrangler used it. Before '89 they used the Peugot (sp?) BA10. Be sure of what you are getting when getting a Jeep 5spd.

The AX15 is superior to the BA10.

Finding 2wd Cherokees and Comanches is easy in the south. Up north they are rare.
                    I have not seen a 2wd Jeep with the AX15. For that matter, I haven't seen a 2wd 90s Jeep with any stick. The Dakota was the only one I've seen yet that had a stick at all. But, but the time I researched to identify it, it was gone from the yard. I now have nice picture-based guide, but then I found the T5 and although it's not as strong as the AX15, it has some nicer ratios and is good enough.

I'm actually considering the 2wd tube axle from a Cherokee in my project. It's not a traditional beam, but I think I can make it work. Despite the non-traditional aspect, I like how it mimics the look of the rear axle when it exits the body. Dirt cheap and gives me decent disc brakes.

One of the reasons I'm leaning towards that is I commute through a lot of really rough city streets. Beats my cars' suspensions to death and I'm constantly changing out ball joints, tie rod ends, etc. I figure with a straight axle, with ball joints that only rotate (like the Cherokee), and a lighter load than the axle was designed to take, it ought to be comparatively bulletproof.

Then I can spend more time inside my car than underneath it.

Comment

did the 2.2L come with a t-5? I thought they all had nv1500's.

The 2.8L had a t-5. The issue you will find now is the bolt pattern
                      I'm intercontinental when I eat french toast.

Comment

Originally posted by Ludakris04 View Post
                        did the 2.2L come with a t-5? I thought they all had nv1500's.

The 2.8L had a t-5. The issue you will find now is the bolt pattern
                        YES the 2.2 did in fact have a t-5- I currently have one on my bench.

Mine is from a 93 s-10 2wd. It has the driver's side starter mount. It had been notched out once upon a time and mated to a 2.8 s-10 engine. (pass. side starter) the bolt pattern is the same.

all that to say the 93 2.2 t-5 is a world class trans. The trade off is that it has the ford bolt pattern at the trans flange.

What other options do I have to bolt the ford pattern t-5 to a 307 sbc. I can get steel or alu gm bell housings, I just dont know if I can use one or not.

Any thoughts or ideas that wont break the bank?

Comment

Originally posted by OKEYJOHN View Post
                          YES the 2.2 did in fact have a t-5- I currently have one on my bench.

Mine is from a 93 s-10 2wd. It has the driver's side starter mount. It had been notched out once upon a time and mated to a 2.8 s-10 engine. (pass. side starter) the bolt pattern is the same.

all that to say the 93 2.2 t-5 is a world class trans. The trade off is that it has the ford bolt pattern at the trans flange.

What other options do I have to bolt the ford pattern t-5 to a 307 sbc. I can get steel or alu gm bell housings, I just dont know if I can use one or not.

Any thoughts or ideas that wont break the bank?
                          Not to split hairs, but the 2.2L did not come out in the s-10 until 1994 when the body style changed. As for the bell housing, it sounds like its like basically the same t-5 as the camaro firebird v-6's of the later 90's. Look for they guy on here running one behind a 305, he redrilled a diff bell housing to make it work. He has a post "$75" or something like that in the "under $3k" section.
                          I have seen recently that the 2.5L in the 80's had the same bolt patern as the sbc. I think Jeeps had a bell houseing that works with a bunch of stuff (t-5, t-4, etc). Might be something to look into.
                          I'm intercontinental when I eat french toast.

Comment

Working...
                          X