trans cooler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trans cooler

has anybody used a aftermaket trans cooler for a chevy 350tb vs the radiator connections , considering using one in my 54 sedan delivery but are there any cons of using one, any help would be appreciated.

For just an around daily driver it is normal to just use the aftermarket cooler in conjunction with the radiator. Never seen any problems with a cooler, only when people dont tighten the lines enough.

Comment

Originally posted by cw&g View Post
      For just an around daily driver it is normal to just use the aftermarket cooler in conjunction with the radiator. Never seen any problems with a cooler, only when people dont tighten the lines enough.
      But what about using only the aftermarket cooler without the radiator, will it still cool the trans, or are they made to work only in conjuction with the radiator, after trying to find couplers to conect the trans and aftermarket cooler and not having any luck, I might just use the radiator hook up's only, thank's for the reply.

Comment

If you are having heating problems, and want to get the tranny heat out of the picture, the larger aftermarket cooler will work fine by its self, Just use oil rated rubber hose and steel line and hose barbs and gearclamps.

If you really want to get some heat off the rad, check into engine oil coolers. Appx 1/2 the engine heat is from friction and is carried in the oil.

PA41
        "Bold talk for a one eyed fatman"

Comment

I use only a separate cooler, none in the radiator. The one I like is the tubular one with the fins all around, and especially the "double pass" versions where both fittings are one one end.

Don

Comment

Originally posted by donsrods View Post
            I use only a separate cooler, none in the radiator. The one I like is the tubular one with the fins all around, and especially the "double pass" versions where both fittings are one one end.

Don
            I was looking into using one of those what length are you using since they make them in several sizes, I was going to go with a 24" double pass will that work ok, and thaks for the info you all.

Comment

Stand alone radiaitor cooler (double pass) is all that I have ever used the past 25 years I've been playing with cars. I do try to fit the largest one I can on the vehicle. A few years back I was running my 67 Camaro with a 10" 3000 RPM stall convertor with a T400 tranny (reverse pattern, manual valve body) on the street (weekends, mostly Saturday nights -wink-wink) for about a year or so with no problems of the tranny getting hot (was running a trans temp gauge to monitor).
              Tom
              FOX FABRICATION
              Brookfield, CT

Comment

Working...
              X