nailhead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nailhead

got a question about Buick nailheads. What years did Buick make the nail head?
    I see the last 401 was made in 1966 was it a nail head?
    Were the 364 and 401's all nail heads.
    I'm a mopar guy and as you can see don't know much about Buicks
    Thanks for thr info.

no nail head gear heads??

Comment

Come on help me out.

Comment

Nailhead:

1st generation: 1953-1956 264/322
        2nd generation: 1957-1966 364/400/401/425

"I see the last 401 was made in 1966 was it a nail head?" Yes
        "Were the 364 and 401's all nail heads?" Yes

Now can you tell me why they call them "nailheads"?

Wicked
        - Ware -
        The Wicked Rod Shop
        Pearl, MS

Comment

Nailhead

they r called a nail head because of the unusal postion of the valves in the motor also beacuse the valves r small and look like an over sized naill. the motor used a speacial cam with high lift and long duration to compensate for the small valves, and restrictive ports. The small valves and ports made for alot of torque with most motors putting out more torque then there ci size.

They made a 264, 322 in the first gen (53-56)and a 364, 400, 401, 425 in the second gen.(57-66)

i have more info. if needed just pm me

Mike
          If u can't move it get a bigger hammer, if u still can't move it u aint tryin

Comment

you can go over to v8buick.com and find anything you need to know about them motors there, the one thing i know about them is it cost too much to put a th350 behind one they had two different bolt patters and nether fits the chevy or the bop.

odie

Comment

I've never heard of a 400 nailhead. I think the 264 was until '55 and then the 322 until '57 and then 364 til '59. I think the 425 came out in '64. '66 was the last year for all nailheads in Buicks. Some of the displacements overlapped. I know 364 went until at least '60.

They are great motors, they make great torque, they run forever they get good mileage and they just plain look cool. F*ck a SBC, get a nailhead
              Robert Lewis
              1959 Pontiac Star Chief 4 Dr HT Dual quad 389 4 speed
              1962 Pontiac Grand Prix 389 4 speed

Comment

Their narrow, horizontal valve covers give 'em away.

Hemis, Flatheads, and Nailheads, the big three of vintage, nostelgic engines.
                1935 Dodge Bros. Coupe, 53 Chevy 210, 54 Ford F100.

Comment

Working...
                X