Ford (speed sensor?) on rear axle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ford (speed sensor?) on rear axle

I have a '97-'99 Ford F150 8.8 rear axle going in my '30 chevy truck. A google search says the sensor on top of (above the pinion) is either a speed sensor, or ABS related depending on who says what. ???

If a speed sensor, can that be used for an electronic speedo?
    If not going with ABS I would dangerous assume that it can just be left alone?
    Last edited by Old Stuff; 12-16-2019, 08:51 PM.
    https://www.killbillet.com/forum/30s...the-30-chevyMy 1930 Chevy truck build link:

I am gonna say I'm 90% sure it's a ABS sensor.
    but... that being said, why could it not be used for a speedo?
    if it's a 2 wire sensor it will simply put out a sine wave which is typically recognized by aftermarket programmable speedos.
    the only limitation may be the frequency of pulses... if it's a ABS sensor and the tone wheel has a small teeth it MAY be too high.
    I believe they're spec'd by pulses per mile. So you could probably do some math after pulling the sensor or the cover and counting the teeth on the tone wheel.

I recently took delivery of a Dakota digital speedo box that interfaces any transmission speed sensor to any speedometer. I tried to think of a cheap way of using my jaguar speedo with the Chevy NV4500 trans... but just ended up dropping about 150 bucks on the Dakota digital and saving headaches.

Even the Dakota digital one has upper frequency limits so you would have to figure pulses per mile.... but other than that you would be fine even if it is ABS.
    My build thread:
    https://www.killbillet.com/forum/20s...at-is-it/page7

Comment

Originally posted by Burnin#2 View Post
      I am gonna say I'm 90% sure it's a ABS sensor.
      but... that being said, why could it not be used for a speedo?
      if it's a 2 wire sensor it will simply put out a sine wave which is typically recognized by aftermarket programmable speedos.
      the only limitation may be the frequency of pulses... if it's a ABS sensor and the tone wheel has a small teeth it MAY be too high.
      I believe they're spec'd by pulses per mile. So you could probably do some math after pulling the sensor or the cover and counting the teeth on the tone wheel.

I recently took delivery of a Dakota digital speedo box that interfaces any transmission speed sensor to any speedometer. I tried to think of a cheap way of using my jaguar speedo with the Chevy NV4500 trans... but just ended up dropping about 150 bucks on the Dakota digital and saving headaches.

Even the Dakota digital one has upper frequency limits so you would have to figure pulses per mile.... but other than that you would be fine even if it is ABS.
      Thanks. My buddy down here posed me that question yesterday during a brain storm session. I guess the upside to running it off the rear is that if I ended up swapping the tranny (for some reason who knows...) I wouldn't have to mess with reprogramming the speedo. The thought of using that instead of a mechanical is because of the gube with my '58- supposedly used the correct info (tire height, gear ratios) to get a new speedo drive gear for my 700R and it's still about 5 MPH off. Arggg...

Sometimes I resist embracing technology... but sometimes I shouldn't. LOL

https://www.killbillet.com/forum/30s...the-30-chevyMy 1930 Chevy truck build link:

Comment

Working...
      X