MOPAR altenator wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MOPAR altenator wiring

Putting a 1990 LA 318 into a 1998 Dakota frame that will underpin a 1950 2r5 Stude pickup

Converted the 318 to carb, and HEI. No computers on this build for me.

I am told the altenator from the Dak will not charge as the computer will have been deleted. is that true?

Any ideas on what to do? Early 1980's/ late 1970's altenator I guess and an external voltage regulator?? I was hoping not to spend any money on this part!

I was thinking on keeping the Serpentine belt setp up from the Daks donor Magnum V6, too

Thanks

it will not charge with out the computer, you will just have to wire in a external voltage regulator.

Comment

I would check your local salvage yard for a early Chevy 3 wire altenator. I have before made a bracket for the chevy alt for a Chrysler small block. Simple to wire also. Internal regulated too. As that helps keep the wire clutter down in engine bay. Also. Look into the early non efi dodge/chrysler altenators. Not hard to get'em charging your battery.
      Last edited by Low51; 11-11-2016, 02:15 AM.

Comment

WIred up and external voltage regulator for a 197x Challenger. Works great. Got the pigtail from Rockauto. Using the stock Mopar altenator .

Comment

Is the alternator the primary concern with an earlier (say 87) harness? What else is impacted?

Considering a rewire using a 87 factory harness and going same route as Crusty2r - carb and HEI
          peace ~ rg

Comment

robber grin, I suggest you but a hot rod wiring harness. The 87 Dakota harness has a lot of useless stuff in it you probably won't use, and probably don't want. Is is a pain to remove everything you don't want from the Dakota harness.

I just spent weeks cleaning up a Dakota harness for my current project. Yea, I had the harness, and it didn't cost much, except the 100 or so butt connectors I used removing and shortening the wires to fit in my project truck. I won't ever do that again! Spend the money, buy a wiring harness, and have all new wires with labels telling you where they go. A 7 -9 fues kit will cover nearly everything you will want. Gene

Comment

Thanks Gene - I'm shopping for wiring harnesses.
              peace ~ rg

Comment

Working...
              X