12v to 6v or 6v to 12v?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12v to 6v or 6v to 12v?

I put this question in my build thread and didnt get much of a responce. I'll try here since it deals with electrical issues. I have a 1951 Chevy 3100 truck slightly customized. I want to use the stock 6v gauges because they are in very good condition. My truck has been updated to a modern SBC with all new Killbillet wiring. How would I switch the old gauges over to operate off 12v? The gauge lights are no problem because the bulbs just poke into the back of the cluster. My question is the fuel gauge and volt meter. Do those gauges require a resistor or other device to step the voltage down?

I think this is what you need.: http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-VOLT-to-6...-/260730846521

Comment

olddave,

thanks for the response. Have you used this before?

Comment

I should have said, it's like the one I helped a friend of a friend of a friend install in an old jeep a few years ago.

but the brand name of the one we used has been lost to the fogs of time.

Comment

Speedway sells a device called a "Runtz" resistor that hooks to the back of your gauges ....reduces to 6v...need one for each gauge it says

Comment

Originally posted by Bare-Bones View Post
            I put this question in my build thread and didnt get much of a responce. I'll try here since it deals with electrical issues. I have a 1951 Chevy 3100 truck slightly customized. I want to use the stock 6v gauges because they are in very good condition. My truck has been updated to a modern SBC with all new Killbillet wiring. How would I switch the old gauges over to operate off 12v? The gauge lights are no problem because the bulbs just poke into the back of the cluster. My question is the fuel gauge and volt meter. Do those gauges require a resistor or other device to step the voltage down?
            *sorry, answered the guage part of this in "catfish's" thread but here's for the Amp Guage*

it should be an Amp Guage you have in that 51 cluster.
            it just measures Amps (charge or discharge) and will work fine with 12v hitting it.
            but its a dang good idea to add a volt guage, as that Amp guage doesn't tell you much at all about your system.
            I usually hook it up, just so the needle wiggles, and then I add a cluster somewhere else (under the speaker grill, or in a con.) for the real reads.
            *Those old gauges are really vague, and I like to see what is actually going on when it comes to this stuff*
            hope that helps
            Last edited by BareRose; 04-11-2018, 10:18 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X