Crown Vic chassis question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crown Vic chassis question

So I know the front suspension on the 03-09 Crown Vics are popular with the pickup guys... Do folks use the whole chassis / suspension for stuff? I am planning out a 74 C600 Cabover / pickup project, and wondering if the frames are at all a viable option for stuff. It looks like they get pretty wide in the body area, but beyond that - any thoughts on them?? I plan this to be a low cool cruiser like one I spotted from Asia.
    1946 Ford Sedan
    1935 Chevy Sedan
    1974 Dodge Charger

Several guys on you tube swapping the short bed trucks and using the whole chassis and some using the long bed trucks and cutting the bed down to short bed length that's what i'm planning to do with my 68 F-250. Looks to be a pretty slick way to go.

Comment

I'm sneaking up on obsession for the heavier trucks being built like the pic you show. They are freaking super cool. Give us some pics of the truck you'll be building!
      https://www.killbillet.com/forum/30s...the-30-chevyMy 1930 Chevy truck build link:

Comment

Here's the cab I am starting with:Click image for larger version

Name:	YELLA2.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	158.4 KB
ID:	728962
        1946 Ford Sedan
        1935 Chevy Sedan
        1974 Dodge Charger

Comment

Gonna pick it up after spring break in a couple weeks... Have a line on a bare frame, and still need to sort out a proper stepside box. hoping to use Crown Vic front suspension, with 88-97 Cougar rear IRS. Should be pretty fun and unique. The origin of my obsession resides in Asia somewhere.
          1946 Ford Sedan
          1935 Chevy Sedan
          1974 Dodge Charger

Comment

Couple more pics
            Attached Files
            1946 Ford Sedan
            1935 Chevy Sedan
            1974 Dodge Charger

Comment

My biggest head scratcher at the moment is how will I sort out the steering. The rack on the CV points toward the rear, and the shaft coming down from the cab is very likely forward of all of that. we'll see.
              1946 Ford Sedan
              1935 Chevy Sedan
              1974 Dodge Charger

Comment

That's one beautiful cab you got there!!!

Comment

Thanks. Its a 74 C600 from a low mile fire truck. Pretty stoked.
                  1946 Ford Sedan
                  1935 Chevy Sedan
                  1974 Dodge Charger

Comment

Originally posted by 46FordPile View Post
                    My biggest head scratcher at the moment is how will I sort out the steering. The rack on the CV points toward the rear, and the shaft coming down from the cab is very likely forward of all of that. we'll see.
                    And then make it work with the tilt cab? Should be a pretty big challenge. Most guys use a steering box from a motorhome, but those are steering boxes, not rack & pinions. Does the Crown Vic rack sit in front of the suspension (front steer) or behind the suspension (rear steer)? If its a front steer, maybe you can just rotate the rack so the steering column linkage points up? Gene

Comment

Yes it is front steer. Rotating might be a possibility
                      1946 Ford Sedan
                      1935 Chevy Sedan
                      1974 Dodge Charger

Comment

Working...
                      X