Welders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welders

This may be covered somewhere in this folder but couldn't locate it specifically. What welder do you use? Recommend? and oxy or Tig or Mig or Stick? I know a little more about welding than a starter outer but wanted to see what other builders use too. I'm using an inverter Everlast mig box myself.

Miller Blue 220 volt mig here. Don't remember which series it is (251 maybe?) I just turn it on, turn on the gas, and weld with it. Its over 30 year old and hasn't caused an issue yet other then a few new whips, lots of .035 wire, and lots of 380 CF cylinders of AG 75/25 gas. I've earned my living with this one machine, its pretty well has been used 5-6 days a week, 8+ hours a day, for 30 years. Gene

Comment

Thanks Gene. There is a group out there that says the only way to go is TIG but I find it too slow and expensive as well.

Comment

Some people (like me) are not coordinated enough to hold a rod, hold a tig torch, and run a foot pedal all at one time. I can gas weld just fine, but throw in that gas pedal and I'm screwed. It may be just because I didn't have a chance to work with a tig much when I first learned to weld, around 45 years ago (it was a new thing then), but I've gotten along just fine without it. I was told for years that sheet metal had to be welded with a tig, but I've welded a lot of 20 gauge sheet metal together using my mig with little or no warp, with .035 wire in my machine (another thing I was told couldn't be done). I didn't pay much attention to those educated professionals, I just welded the stuff together. I believe the person makes the weld, the machine just has to have the capacity to do the job on hand.

I'm at a stage in my life (I retired and closed my welding shop 2 years ago) where I'm not about to spend the money to take up learning a new to me welding process. If I was 20 years younger, maybe it would be a different story. Most people that brought stuff into my shop just wanted it fixed, they didn't care how it was done as long as it worked. Gene

Comment

These are my go to units. 220v Hobart Ironman 210 w/.035 wire for big stuff and a 110v Lincoln Handy Mig w/.023 wire for sheetmetal.

Takes seconds to switch over thanks to the Y-valve for gas flow. Close one side, open the other....done!

Comment

Some great replies. If you watch all those youtube videos it can get overwhelming and they all say something different on welding applications. I do agree that if you stick to fundamentals and practice that is the most important thing. Did not know about the y-valve regulator!

Comment

I have a Miller 252 mig
              a really old (my grandpa's) Miller stick welder
              a Miller syncrowave 210 tig
              a Miller 625 xtreme plasma
              and a Miller 120 mig.

My dad got me the little 120 mig when I was like 16 and I've never looked back.

But in all honesty the 252 mig is my go to any day.
              awesome machine.
              run .035 wire and argon mix for EVERYTHING.
              welded " thick stuff down to rusted thin tin on my rat rod... pretty much never touch the 120 anymore.

If you are looking for a welder, get a larger name brand machine, something that will burn in the thickest stuff you think will ever need to weld in one pass, and remember they can be turned down for light stuff too.
              my Miller 252 is built for a production line to be used all day every day.

I got the tig mostly for aluminum, but a tig is nice because theres no spatter whatsoever, so doing a fine detail weld where spatter is a bad, it shines... I also found it's great for doing tanks and even making hyd fittings where you dont want leaks. It can be incredibly precise.

The stick welder..... never touch it unless I'm welding rusty garbage like drill stem. But good for welding outdoors (if you mig outside and the wind blows your shield gas away, it will make a complete mess of your weld)

The plasma I found i use quite a bit, i dont have access to a shear, so the plasma slices anything very nicely (also non ferrous materials like aluminum)
              I also have an oxy/propane rig.... dont use it for cutting since I got the plasma, just heating/bending.

Also, spend some money on a good quality welding helmet, ive used the cheap helmets... they're only good for the trash can.
              My build thread:
              https://www.killbillet.com/forum/20s...at-is-it/page7

Comment

Burnin....good advice. Will have to save some pennies though for an industrial level machine. I weld or will weld off a generator (clean power) as my electrical set up at home is not ideal.

Comment

My old Lincoln stick welder collects dust like so many out there but won't every get rid of it.

Millermatic 210 that I've have for I have no clue how many years I absolutely love it.

Grew up using oxy-actelene for light welding and cutting but... If I could jump in the Delorean and go back, I'd bought a Plasma years ago. (The next item on my short list.)

Tried Tig welding for the first time a month and a half ago. Picked up on it pretty quick and (of course) fell in love with it. I can live without it but do hope to eventually get one.

Most excellent thoughts from the guys above that use this stuff day-in and day-out. Enjoy!
                  https://www.killbillet.com/forum/30s...the-30-chevyMy 1930 Chevy truck build link:

Comment

Thanks Old Stuff

Comment

Working...
                    X