Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finishing minor imperfections in patch panel welding.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finishing minor imperfections in patch panel welding.....

Hey Guys..... Hey Gene (I know your here) :)

I'm welding in my patch panels with my new miller multimatic 215. Sweet Machine. I'm trying to do the very best metal work I can so the option to go bare metal is a for me.

I'm looking for a way to clean up minor imperfections like weld undercut ect. All stuff that high build primer would take care of if I decide to paint it. If I go with a rusting process I don't have to worry either.... but I might want to go with bare metal and a contour sander.

Has anyone dealt with this? I'm thinking possibly a silver soldier or all metal type of stuff???? Anybody done it?

Picture of what I'm talking about.... ahhhh tried to load pic 3x, no dice

Thanks
    Couper

Try pic again
    Attached Files

Comment

Couper, as long as there are no holes in those voids, don't worry too much about them. If it bothers you much, I would use your welder to fill the voids, just weld them up, but skip around so you don't over heat the metal. You can clean them up with a wire brush before you fill them with weld. I wouldn't silver soder them, but I suppose that would work too. You can prime over the voids, but its likely even high build primmer won't fill the voids completely. If you get to the point you want it smooth, you can fill the voids with plastic filler (bondo) applied either directly on the metal, or over top of primmer.It wouldn't take much filler to cover up the voids.
      I have places like that on my coupe, around the rear window. I'm going to use plastic filler (bondo) to fill the voids in my weld flanges,applied directly onto the bare metal. Gene

Comment

Originally posted by Gene View Post
        Couper, as long as there are no holes in those voids, don't worry too much about them. If it bothers you much, I would use your welder to fill the voids, just weld them up, but skip around so you don't over heat the metal. You can clean them up with a wire brush before you fill them with weld. I wouldn't silver soder them, but I suppose that would work too. You can prime over the voids, but its likely even high build primmer won't fill the voids completely. If you get to the point you want it smooth, you can fill the voids with plastic filler (bondo) applied either directly on the metal, or over top of primmer.It wouldn't take much filler to cover up the voids.
        I have places like that on my coupe, around the rear window. I'm going to use plastic filler (bondo) to fill the voids in my weld flanges,applied directly onto the bare metal. Gene

Hi Gene,

It was not so much that they bothered me but I'm thinking of going with a straight line sanded bare metal finish with a satin clear so I'm trying to get my metal work perfect....... no bondo. I kept touching up the weld and I'm real happy with the final finsh. Picture attached. I'm presently working on welding in the corner and the rear piece.....I'll keep you posted on my progress. Thanks again for your help.

Couper Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3480.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	2.01 MB
ID:	725259

Comment

Working...
        X