Stopping Rust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stopping Rust

Other than cutting out badly rusted area's and patching what do you guys do for very light rust? Is it possible to arrest it? When we took the Nova down to bare metal it was very clean and free of rust except for the rot where we mig'd in new metal. The dodge has alot of surface pitting on the cowl. I ask cause I'm not sure if I'm going to go for a rust patina look or a satin / flat paint.

Thanks
    Couper

Sandblast it.

Comment

Thanks for your reply..... I have a sandblaster pressure pot. I thought there might be some sort of metal prep to use after blasting. Not needed?

Comment

After the sand blasting, there are several chemicals that are rust converters, that usually work pretty good (not Por 15, thank you!) I'll have to look to see what the last stuff I used was called. You spray, or brush the stuff on, two coats usually, then prime and sand smooth before top coating. Gene

Comment

If you're still up in the air on the patina you might want to consider using Ospho on the rust. It will neutralize the rust and, though changing the color somewhat, leaves what I consider a very cool patina. In the example below, the lighter cooler rusty 12" back cab panel is basically how the whole thing looked originally. The darker portions you see (firewall, cowl, and door) had Ospho applied directly to the metal with no prep at all.
          ​ As you can see, your patina after application will vary quite widely. Ended up with shades of black, brown, and some white-is gray. It actually enhanced the original blue color paint that was still there.

The fender below was treated and then one coat of rattle can black was applied. I personally couldn't be happier with the finish, with the original roughness still there underneath the black...
          Click image for larger version

Name:	Patina painted.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	1.41 MB
ID:	724836
          https://www.killbillet.com/forum/30s...the-30-chevyMy 1930 Chevy truck build link:

Comment

Originally posted by Old Stuff View Post
            If you're still up in the air on the patina you might want to consider using Ospho on the rust. It will neutralize the rust and, though changing the color somewhat, leaves what I consider a very cool patina. In the example below, the lighter cooler rusty 12" back cab panel is basically how the whole thing looked originally. The darker portions you see (firewall, cowl, and door) had Ospho applied directly to the metal with no prep at all.
            ​ As you can see, your patina after application will vary quite widely. Ended up with shades of black, brown, and some white-is gray. It actually enhanced the original blue color paint that was still there.

The fender below was treated and then one coat of rattle can black was applied. I personally couldn't be happier with the finish, with the original roughness still there underneath the black...
            Click image for larger version

Name:	Patina painted.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	1.41 MB
ID:	724836
            Hey Old Stuff..... Thanks for the idea and the pictures. I like the look. Not sure what I am going to go with. I was kinda sold on a bare metal look with a finish using a contour sander. I' gona have to weld in one of the patch panels and see what it looks like. If not I like this brownish look as well.....see picture. Have a nice Thanksgiving bro.
            Attached Files

Comment

Whatever you end up choosing will look good on that truck. Lucky for us we're not doing 6-10K paint jobs so if you don't like where it's going.... then change it! LOL.
              Thanks much and you have a great Thanksgiving day as well. Let's get ready to eat!
              https://www.killbillet.com/forum/30s...the-30-chevyMy 1930 Chevy truck build link:

Comment

Nice share, i found this really interesting

Comment

Working...
                X