55 gallon barrel for fuel tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 55 gallon barrel for fuel tank

I want to build a diesel fuel tank out of this half barrel and would appreciate any welding tips. It will be mated to a 1/8" steel bulkhead plate.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC05444.JPG Views:	0 Size:	1.28 MB ID:	724138

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC05447.JPG Views:	0 Size:	1.46 MB ID:	724139

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_138847.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	1.93 MB
ID:	724137

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05460.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	2.68 MB
ID:	725117

Comment

If it were me... I'd be considering some sort of protection...
      more so if it was gasoline... being on the rear out in the open like that...

The only suggestions I have are that a TIG would probably be the best method of getting a leak free weld.

a mig is fine though... just make sure you clean that coating off for about an inch from where the weld will be.
      keep the heat concentration down to to avoid warpage.. and pressure check it after your done then possibly epoxy coat the inside.
      My build thread:
      https://www.killbillet.com/forum/20s...at-is-it/page7

Comment

I just realised I'm late to the party.... the fuel tank is done??
        its looking good!
        how did it go?
        My build thread:
        https://www.killbillet.com/forum/20s...at-is-it/page7

Comment

Yes, that portion is done and it's finally driveable again. I tried to Tig initially, but reverted to the Mig welder to finish. It was without a doubt the hardest thing I have ever attempted to weld and it aint pretty lol! Bed skirts are done and I have all the lights/flashers operational now. Repaired the door window regulators and waiting on some window run channel to get the glass back in before putting the doors back together. The only pressing thing remaining is to relocate all the gauges to the dash instead of the console area so I can actually see them while driving.

I'm considering adding a little color to the cab exterior to break up this rust theme. Not certain how to go about this, but luckily it is a "Rat" project and does not require an expert hand hehe. I did consider at one point some type of protection for the tank, but was unable to come up with a satisfactory solution.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC05477.JPG Views:	0 Size:	1.73 MB ID:	725121Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC05478.JPG Views:	0 Size:	1.34 MB ID:	725122
          Last edited by HandOverFist; 12-12-2019, 06:18 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X