This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

satin/flat finish

yrs ago I heard that mixin in a bit of talc powder in the gloss paint will flatten it...i never tried it though..

Comment

A really good paint to use for satin or flat finishes is Mathews line of paint..."sorry been doing custom paint also for 20 years haha" anyways that stuff is almost fool proof man... It was made for the sign industry and last forever... You can throw wet coat after wet coat on and it always dries to a even satin finish... Throw some dx84 "accelerator" in it and it dries in minutes.. Good stuff man I have used it for years.. It's actually made by ppg it's there cheaper line of paints... I can help ya guys with any questions if the op isn't around to answer...

Comment

John Deere "blitz black" paint is the cheap and easy!!!!! Its satin finish, premixed, touch up comes in a spray can. You wont find an eaiser way!!!!!
        Ive used it alot and wouldnt do it anyother way!!!! oh ya.....under $100 per gallon!!!!!

Comment

John Deere "blitz black"
          you can get it a any John Deere Service center
          [IMG][/IMG]

Comment

flat balck

I just tried Tractor Supply and they have a low gloss black enamel $40 a gallon plus $15 for 8 oz of hardner..it also comes in spray cans too... it seems to be ok...but i just sprayed it....I picked up some semi gloss clear online $100/2 gts with reducer..for the top coat...
            Last edited by ajbcc2; 03-05-2013, 07:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ajbcc2 View Post
              I just tried Tractor Supply and they have a low gloss black enamel $40 a gallon plus $15 for 8 oz of hardner..it also comes in spray cans too... it seems to be ok...but i just sprayed it....I picked up some semi gloss clear online $100/2 gts with reducer..for the top coat...
              The John Deere product dosent need a sealer clear coat.... I HIGHLY recomend using "Blitz Black" I have sprayed alot of paint and this was by far the best bang for your buck! Just my humble opinion.

Comment

If I remeber, there was no hardner either..... just thin it out and shoot it!!!

Comment

right.

the thing is hardener makes 2k catylized paint so much more durable.

it literally bonds on a molecular level, making the entire painted surface, one entire chain molecule..

this means when you spill oil, solvent, or gas on the paint, it won't turn to goo!

well worth the extra few dollars. every dollar could mean another year of paint life in this application
                  Bodyman, painter, frame guy.. basically I hit sh*t with hammers..

Comment

in the old days it was corn starch.
                    Lungs

Comment

Warning, warning...Do not us JD blitz black. That **** sucks like you wouldn't believe. Sanded and painted my 48 Chevy 3 times with high quality guns following all the instructions on the net and it still a 25 footer. All you have to do is drag you finger over it when dry ( 3 weeks) and it will leave a scratch. It will stain from the oil on your finger and anything else that get close to it. Spend a little more money and get some good satin black. Blitz black is the biggest mistake I have ever made in painting cars. You can mix and follow instructions but the paint seem to dry between the gun and the car, Flashes before it lays out.

Comment

Working...
                      X