My 29 Plymouth Build...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 29 Plymouth Build...

This is gonna be a slow process but have to start somewhere. I bought a 29 Plymouth Model U a couple of years ago with the intention of building a ratrod. I traded a chainsaw for a 94 Ram Cummins with an automatic for the drivetrain. The cummins hadn't been running in over 14 years but got it going. The plan is to run the cummins/auto with a newer disc brake rear end. Not sure on the front end yet, IFS or straight axle. My thought on a straight axle was a 4wd front diff from a newer ram with disc brakes, remove the pumpkin. I want to keep this all dodge/plymouth parts related. I want to have this fairly low, running on airbags hopefully. I want to keep it a 4 seater. Anyway, on with some pictures...

Comment

Cool project and great choice of powerplant!

Comment

Thanks! I would also like any advice you guys could give me during this process. Next step, I think, is engine placement. And I think I should have a good idea on what size tires I will be running early on correct? I would like to run a bigger tire, atleast in the rear, then the mockup photo, maybe something in a 32"ish?

Comment

That is absolutely a very cool '29. Looks really solid from the pics and the patina is super. I look forward to watching this build.

Knowing what tire size you want up front is never a bad thing because it will determine what (if any) fab work needs to be done on the chassis and any accompanying body mods- but you can sure keep busy on other things if you haven't made up your mind if unsure just yet. Some folks are wired to have a full plan up front before they start. Others (like me) are a bit more relaxed in the planning- which can create problems of their own.... LOL.

When I started on my '30 I knew right off the bat I wanted tall wheels and tires. The originals were 20" wheels with 6" wide tires giving 34" in diameter. I was thinking Mob Steel 20" solid wheels which are killer but out of my price range so in the process of making that final decision I stayed plenty busy working on the cab, splash apron repair, planning, looking, and more planning, My wallet ended up making the decision for me ending up with the same type/look in 17" rims and tall tires giving me 33" in diameter for massively less money. After getting them mounted up I'm real happy with that decision. Since I'm doing a more "simple approach" to this build staying with the parallel leaf springs I didn't have any chassis mods. The rear is wider than the front (which I happen to like) so no money in cutting down the axle.

It's all working out super for me though some wouldn't like the process so "free spirited"! (insert massive laughing emoji!)

Have massive amounts of fun!
          https://www.killbillet.com/forum/30s...the-30-chevyMy 1930 Chevy truck build link:

Comment

Just playing around, these are 35s a buddy had laying around. I like that size in the rear, doubt I want something that big in the front.

Comment

Big tires in the back of a slammed rat just looks 'bad-a$$'. Now for the hunt for the perfect width rear axle!
              https://www.killbillet.com/forum/30s...the-30-chevyMy 1930 Chevy truck build link:

Comment

Getting axles today from an 05 Ram, we'll see how close they are!

Comment

More playing around...

Comment

Got 05 ram axles, mocked up with a front axle

Comment

So I would think the next plan of attack is to decide on what wheels I'm gonna run. Remove the wood floor and get an idea on a frame. Sound good? Also, where are you guys with cars like this putting their fuel tank? I'm afraid there won't be enough room behind the rear axle, make a shelf and go above the rear axle?

Comment

Do you intend to have rear seating? If you intend to lay frame, there won't be much space above the rear axle, you may need to do a pair of saddle tanks in front of the axle. Gene

Comment

I'm starting to keep my eye out for something unique for saddle tanks for my '30.

Remember that thinking outside the box is a good thing. Saddle tank/s out of a compact might fit just right or require little fabrication. There might be something unique out there that would be a perfect fit. Custom shaped tank to fit a weird/unusable space is always an option, etc. ............Just don't go Pinto on us! LOL

BTW- the initial look/stance of the ride is looking very cool. Am sure you are super excited about the project.

Comment

I do intend on have a rear seat, need room for the kids! Don't care if it lays frame, but it would be a bonus. I would rather have more room then lay frame. I'm thinking rear axle as far back as it will go, that should leave more interior room. That tranny will be huge so I need it as far forward as possible. Played with the idea of widening it also, but that would be last resort. I am super excited about this, and I hate doing things twice, so this will be a slow process. ANYTHING you guys see that's a problem, please speak up, I value opinion. :)

Comment

Based on physics, any time the car body gets closer to the ground, the rear axle and the driveshaft (and maybe the motor, exhaust, and the transmission) will intrude more into the floor of the passenger compartment. That results in having an area large enough to accommodate the size of the rear axle, and a tunnel for the driveshaft to run in, occupy the area wanted for seating and feet space. The taller the rear tires, the more space is required to clear the rear axle and the driveshaft.

Another unintended result is extra floor space also needs to be given up for a fuel tank since it must be above the ground level with the vehicle at its lowest position. The larger the size of the fuel tank, the more floor space needs to be given up. From my past experience, having a fuel tank much smaller then 15 gal is a real pain in the butt. For example, a 10 gallon fuel tank means you will probably have to refuel it every 100- 150 miles or so and that really sucks if you plan any road trips over an hour or two long. A 10 or a 15 gallon fuel tank requires specific dimensions to hold the fuel, fortunately custom tanks can be built to take advantage of available space.

You are free to build your rat however you like, but compromises often need to take place between something looking really cool and something being functional, because there are times those two things are conflicting with each other. You are the guy that gets to decide where those lines of compromise are placed.

Just one more thought, I've built probably 20 or more hot rods, I don't believe there is such a thing as not doing some things more then once. It usually takes a few times to get everything to work out right. Building hot rods is a complex undertaking with a lot of stuff that has to fit together. Read some of the build threads posted here. I suspect its a concept you will soon understand. Gene

Comment

Working...
                              X