No announcement yet.

What did you do today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drove home for the third day in a row with heat index over 100 degrees. Seems I would've answered the clue phone earlier in the spring (for the 5th year in a row) to fix the a/c in the '58. 'Tis brutal indeed. For some reason the desire to go outside after supper to work anything. Imagine that....

On the upside though, it's still "cool" to drive. LOL!
    https://www.killbillet.com/forum/30s...the-30-chevyMy 1930 Chevy truck build link:

Comment

The weather guys are saying we will be getting that 100+ heat index here by Friday. I've been trying to get some stuff done, because when it get that hot, I will be sucking up the AC in the house.
      Nothing photo worthy. I got the motor and trans off the 96 frame. Once that frame was clear of other stuff I saw I was short one of the 2 cross members that hold the fuel tank, so I had to remove the needed one off the 96 frame, fortunately, it just bolted in place. By the time I got all the crusty flakes off of it, it was much thinner then it started out, but I think it will be OK. I ended up using an air needler to clean up the flakes off the cross member. An air needler is about a dozen 1/8" rods stuck into a holder, that is attached to an air chisel, you put on hearing protection, and proceed to drive the dozen 1/8" rods into the surface of the cross member and it removes everything that in not solid. Its probably almost as effective as a heavy duty sandblaster without forming a sandy beach on my driveway. You can sweep up the falling debris. Once its "cleaned", I was able to paint the cross member and bolt it in. Then I noticed that the cross member under the trans mount was different then the one on the 96, and I would also get to use that cross member off the 95 as well. I got to drag out the air needler and do another cross member. It too has been painted and is bolted in place.
      Today I ran all new brake lines. All are finished except the one from the rear that connects to the master cylinder. I ended up making that one line out of 3 individual lines with couplers. The 3rd line I will need to cut off and change the fitting on the master cylinder side, but I will need to wait until I get the cab back on the frame, so I get it the correct length. I also made new gas tank straps, and got the fuel tank from the 96 mounted on the "new" frame for the 49. I have installed new motor mounts (on a 4x4 Dakota, the motor mount brackets also support the front axle and have to be in position when the motor is sat down in the chassis). I also have a new trans mount I will install after the motor & trans are sitting in place. I spent the last hour today touching up the paint job on the frame.

If things work out, tomorrow the motor and trans will be sitting on the frame and bolted in place. After the motor & trans are in place, I need to run new fuel lines and get them connected. I can also connect the front driveshaft, and then get a length measurement for the rear driveshaft and see if I might have one that will work in my 20 or so driveshaft collection. After the drive train is buttoned up (as far as I can go without spending a bunch on money), the cab installation is next, then I get to see how much of the cab floor I will get to make or modify.

The last few days have been great weather wise, but Friday the temp is suppose to be back in the 90s, with the weekend forecast at the mid 90s with "unbearable" humidity levels. Supposedly, early next week is suppose to be back in the mid 80s again. Gene

Comment

Well, today was different! I sold my 39 Dodge truck this morning. I didn't get as much as I had hoped for, but I got enough to move the 49 pick up project forward without much delay.
        The new owner left with a smile on his face as he drove away, and his wife followed him off with a smile on her face. I ended up following them for a couple miles. Just before I turned off, they passed an eating establishment, and a couple guys that were eating both gave him a thumbs up. Both him and his wife were really smiling after that.
        My wife was pretty happy when I came home with a handful of cash as well. We are able to put to rest a few minor financial concerns, and have money left to build the 49. I guess that makes 4 happy people from that sale.
        I guess from here on out, you will need to look for me in the 40s Rat Rod Truck section, where I will starting a build thread soon. Gene

Comment

Originally posted by Gene View Post
          Well, today was different! I sold my 39 Dodge truck this morning. I didn't get as much as I had hoped for, but I got enough to move the 49 pick up project forward without much delay.
          The new owner left with a smile on his face as he drove away, and his wife followed him off with a smile on her face. I ended up following them for a couple miles. Just before I turned off, they passed an eating establishment, and a couple guys that were eating both gave him a thumbs up. Both him and his wife were really smiling after that.
          My wife was pretty happy when I came home with a handful of cash as well. We are able to put to rest a few minor financial concerns, and have money left to build the 49. I guess that makes 4 happy people from that sale.
          I guess from here on out, you will need to look for me in the 40s Rat Rod Truck section, where I will starting a build thread soon. Gene
          Thumbs up Gene. Couldn't ask for a better outcome all the way around- including the new build thread. Keep on having fun brother.
          https://www.killbillet.com/forum/30s...the-30-chevyMy 1930 Chevy truck build link:

Comment

A couple of days ago.... I've been wanting to buy or make something to set my phone in for the '58 for a while. The sweet spot is right on top of the dash which is the perfect mix of being seen while driving (GPS especially) yet not being obtrusive visually. Broke down and made a little homemade unit using original sheet metal from the '30 which is extra cool. There where 4 small rare earth magnets (on the side of my tool box for no telling how long) that I put on the bottom side followed by a little bit of protection for the dash paint. It's strong enough to hold the phone firmly in place but removed easy enough when desired. The phone will both slide in from the top or slip up and in from the front. (*The Otter case keeps the magnets messing with the compass.)

A little slot on the bottom lets the voices escape, also allowing the charger to be plugged in. Ah the small victories. Scratch another item off the list!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7765.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	727493Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7766.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	727494

Comment

Bought a Killbillet tee-shirt and DVD. Be inspired and treat yourself to one! LOL
              Last edited by Old Stuff; 07-28-2020, 05:19 AM.

Comment

..... good gosh I miss swap meets.

Comment

This has been a pretty frustrating week already, and its only Tuesday!

Sunday afternoon I noticed the charging system on the coupe wasn't working. We were40 miles from home, but we were able to make it back home, The car wouldn't even crank over after I shut it off at home. Not a big deal, its a car, stuff happens. I put it on the battery charger to charge the very dead battery. Monday morning, I drove it over to my buddy's shop where he has testing equipment. This car has EFI, so the charging system runs through the computer. In years past, I've had the computer circuit that charges the battery quit. The fix is pretty simple, you can remove the two field wires out of the computer off the alternator, and wire in an electronic voltage regulator. On a Mopar unit, one field wire comes from the ignition (or in this case, from the computer), and goes to one field wire post on the battery and also to one post on the voltage regulator. The second field wire off the alternator connects to the other post on the voltage regulator (instead of returning to the computer). Once that is complete, the external regulator replaces the computer to control the voltage the alternator puts out. Other then the wiring, the only other component in the system is the alternator itself.
                  In the case of the coupe, I believe the alternator is the OEM one and has been on the vehicle for its entire 180K miles the chassis has. Its starting to sound a little rough. So we did the test, and the field wires both have battery voltage at them. That would indicate the alternator is toast. Off to the parts store. Two different parts stores do not have the alternator I need in stock, one can get it Tuesday morning, the other will be Wednesday. I orderd the one that will be in Tuesday morning at 8:00 am and paid for it, $169. Ouch! but its the coupe, I pay the man and go home and pull the old one off. Tuesday morning, I'm at the parts store to pick up my new alternator, but it has the wrong pulley on it. The next new one will be in by 10:30. I go home to try to get something done. I loaded up some scrap and hauled if off the the scrap yard. $9 WO! WO! I'm rich! OK, maybe not. Its after 10:30 when I get to the parts store, its not in yet. I walk over to my buddy's shop and shoot the bull until I see the parts company van arrive. 5 minutes later, I go get the new alternator, its there , so I picked it up and head for home to install it. I got it installed before lunch, it doesn't work!
                  After lunch, I call the parts store and tell them the new alternator doesn't work. I want to know if they can test the old alternator to see if it was good, because if it was, I wasn't keeping their new alternator. They can't test it, but the other parts store can. They will let me pickup the old one and get it tested. I did ask if they could get an electronic regulator with a pig tail wire. They could, but it would be Wednesday before it came in. I picked up the old alternator and went to the other parts store. They said it tested good, but was very noisy. I asked them about the voltage regulator and pigtail, the regulator they had in stock, but the pigtail would be in by 4pm today. I ordered both and paid for them. $32 and change. I decided to keep the new alternator, I figure the old one making noise means it won't last long, and I sure don't want to do this again very soon. I dropped the old one off at the 1st parts store and went to my buddy's shop to waste an hour and a half. The pigtail was in by 4 pm, and I drove home. I think I will install the pigtail and mount the regulator tomorrow.
                  Today was nice and cool, it would have been a great day to weld up floor pans on my 49. Maybe I'll start tomorrow out with welding the floor pan, then install the regulator and pigtail later in the day. Gene

Comment

I have days like that gene... just what should be a simple trip to town takes all day... annoying.
                    My build thread:
                    https://www.killbillet.com/forum/20s...at-is-it/page7

Comment

Besides having more withdrawal pains from not working on my '30, I did get a few things headed my way for the '58. Going to add a couple of relays to the headlight low and high beams to hopefully correct a high beam flashing problem. From looking in the Stovebolt forum it is somewhat common. Also looking at some Procar bucket seats for the '58.

Why is spending money (or even thinking about it) on the hot rods soooooo much fun???

Comment

Its always fun to spend money on our toys.

I bought a tailgate for the 49 late this afternoon. Its from a 70s Dodge truck, so I think its probably a few inches wider then what the 49 box is, but I didn't get a tailgate with the 49. I figured cutting one down to fit was easier then building one from scratch, besides this one has the embossed DODGE stamped at the center of it. It was a big win at only $75, usually these things bring $300-$400. At $300 or more, I'd build one from scratch, but it wouldn't have the DODGE stamped in it. Gene

Comment

Unpacked a new set of Procar low back bucket sets for my '58 truck today and I couldn't be happier! Before ordering I called Procar and asked about what they were listing as "velour". Guy said they were more closer than modern auto fabric than what we typically think of as velour (like from the 70's) and he was right on the money description wise. A bit more pricey than the vinyl but won't toast my leg in the summer. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sca-80-1400-61l

Perfect for my truck and can't wait to install them but in the meantime they're sitting in front of the TV for a "break in period". LOL

Comment

Working...
                          X