No announcement yet.

What did you do today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today cooked poached eggs for breakfast, burnt toast. Going on a cruise this afternoon for a club member's birthday- going to drive by his house in a convoy and honk!
    I retired in March and finally started getting some work done on my 57 IH pickup. Yesterday cut some patch panels for the bed, still have to trim them before welding. Need to replace some of the cross pieces underneath the floor because they look more like lace than steel. Getting ready to pull the cab so I can get the frame to a welder to fix some cracks in it. Going to pull the engine too, so I can change the transmission from a 3-speed coliumn shift to a 4-speed floor shift. Also working on a header for the six (very, very slow progress).

Comment

Originally posted by chriseakin View Post
      Today cooked poached eggs for breakfast, burnt toast. Going on a cruise this afternoon for a club member's birthday- going to drive by his house in a convoy and honk!
      I retired in March and finally started getting some work done on my 57 IH pickup. Yesterday cut some patch panels for the bed, still have to trim them before welding. Need to replace some of the cross pieces underneath the floor because they look more like lace than steel. Getting ready to pull the cab so I can get the frame to a welder to fix some cracks in it. Going to pull the engine too, so I can change the transmission from a 3-speed coliumn shift to a 4-speed floor shift. Also working on a header for the six (very, very slow progress).
      Sounds like fun times..... except for the burnt toast! LMAO! Post up a pic of the '57 if ya get a chance. Sounds like that will be a cool ride.
      https://www.killbillet.com/forum/30s...the-30-chevyMy 1930 Chevy truck build link:

Comment

My '58 was getting jealous of the '30 so today I gave it a new key switch and cut some slots out of the dash/windshield trim so I can now actually use my defroster. (that only took about 5 years....)
        Hoping to snag some bucket seats for it tomorrow with plans of putting in a center console at some point. (Stimulus money slated for hot rod use only!)
        https://www.killbillet.com/forum/30s...the-30-chevyMy 1930 Chevy truck build link:

Comment

It was HOT today, so I didn't do anything except sit in the house and suck up the AC, this retired life is tough!
          Yesterday my wife and I took the 39 Dodge Pickup for a 100 mile ride, my son tagged along with his 57 Dodge wagon with a modern Hemi in it, and my grandson joined in with his 63 Chrysler. Of course I didn't take any pictures.
          Saturday we took the coupe for a 106 mile ride.
          It was a great weekend to go cruising, but having 2 hot rods to drive could get a bit expensive. Gene

Comment

My son's wagon has left the property, mostly. That means my driveway is open, can't be having that.
            6 months ago I bought a running 1996 Dakota 4x4 with a 318 and a rotted frame for $400. That Dakota only has 44,000 miles on it, and the drive train is fully functioning, but the frame and rear brake lines are rotted away. This Dakota is going to be a parts donor for my 49 Dodge pickup.
            When I bought the 49, it came with a shortened, sand blasted and primed Dakota 4x4 frame. The 49 is sitting on my yard with the the cab and all the other sheet metal bolted to that Dakota frame.

So the plan is to pull all the sheet metal off the 96 Dakota, then pull the 49 sheet metal off the shortened, sandblasted, and primed Dakota frame, then swap over the drive train. Everything will bolt up, so the theory is when I get done, and get the 49 sheet metal back onto the shortened, sandblasted, and primed frame, I should have a running, moving truck. Sounds simple enough, right?

On Monday I drove the 96 onto the driveway, to its nearly final resting place (the junk yard will get its remains). By mid afternoon, we (my son and I) had the box off the 96 and had it sitting on a roller frame I have here.

Tuesday was a down day, it was my grand daughter's birthday (my son's daughter). I did remove a few things from inside the cab.

Wednesday was a busy morning. My son and granddaughter came over and she pulled everything loose inside the cab that was held in place with a screw driver, while my son and I started disconnecting everything off the front sheet metal. It was really hot, and we were all moving pretty slow by mid afternoon so we called it a day.

Thursday my grand daughter stayed home, but my son and I got the front sheet metal off the truck and started loosening things to remove the cab. We had to quit around noon because we had to do a 2 hour one way trip to look at a truck my son needs (he did but it).

It rained most of Friday, then got real hot, so nothing got done on the truck. I did manage to get about 3/4 of the lawn mowed between the rain storms in the morning and the one in the early afternoon.

Today I got everything removed that holds the cab onto the frame off except two body mount bolts where the encased nut started to spin. I will have to cut those 2 bolts off Monday. It got to 90 degrees by 11 am today, I was done working on the truck. I did manage to finish mowing the lawn before I went and hid in the AC.

Next week the temps are suppose to be at or near 90 everyday. I will probably go out and do something around every morning, but I don't do well in high heat and humidity. The hope for Monday is to move the cab to the rear of the frame and leave it sit there while we pull the drive train. Then maybe Tuesday we will get the 49 onto the driveway, right side of the 96, and pull all the sheet metal off of it. The frame under the 49 is pretty much a rolling frame that honestly I really didn't pay much attention to before I mounted the 49 metal. The condition of its axles and suspension is really unknown. The intension is to use as much of the 96's 44,000 mile chassis as possible, but it looks pretty crusty. There may be a couple of days determining which parts to use on those there is an option of choice. Things may also be delayed by some painting, the light grey primer probably isn't going to cut it. Logic says paint it before everything is in the way.
            Of course, there are no pictures. Gene

Comment

Gene, that sounds like a cool hot rod project. I'd love to see some pics!

Comment

Vig, I'll see if I can remember to take a few pictures tomorrow.

As far as the project goes, I did OK on Monday, I elected to set the cab off the donor truck on some cement blocks instead of on the back end of the frame. That was pretty much the accomplishments for Monday, it was in the 90s before noon and I spent the rest of the day in the AC. Today it was already over 80 before 9 am. I did manage to get some more stuff off the frame and out of my way, and I also managed to pull the front sheet metal off the 49 truck sitting in the side lot, before I called it a day. The front of my shop is shaded until around 10 am, and my shop generally stays fairly cool until it gets towards noon, then the sun is shinning inside the south facing garage door and it gets hot if the outside temp gets above 80-85. I have a fan set up in my shop I run when its hot. After 10 am, I do a little work out in the sun, then sit in front of the fan to cool of before I go back out in the sun and work some more. Its hard to get much done, but I'm old and retired, so how much gets done these days really depends on how I feel. Today I wrapped everything up by noon when it reached 93 degrees. I don't do well in the heat.

So, a little over view of my place. I have an oversized 2 stall garage I've been working out of the last 20 years. In the shop is welding equipment, a cherry picker engine hoist, an 80 gal air compressor, and an assortment of work benches, other tools, and equipment. I have basically an area about 14' wide and 20' long with an enclosed 8' ceiling with lights hanging down from it, to work with inside the shop. Outside is a 19' wide x 88' long smooth cement driveway (about 8 years old). The highest elevation on the driveway is about the mid point of its length, the street side has a gradual drop of about 5' towards the street, and the garage end has about a 2' drop until about 10' from the garage where it levels out, the water drains towards the grass on the west side of the drive. My house sits on the east side of the driveway (about 4' away from the edge) and on the west side of the driveway is a vacant lot that belongs to me. That lot has a grass covered area that about matches the level of the driveway that is 75' wide (east to west) and about 100' deep (north to south). I park my projects on the side lot, and the whole place is zoned business. The east/west street that my house is on the north side of, "T"s into a side street at the west side of my property, and the side street dead ends at the north west corner of my property. About midway to the back of my garage, my property drops in elevation 8', and then 20' beyond that it drops another 8'. There is another business property to the west of the side street, but that property does not drop off like mine, it has been built up and has a cement retaining wall at its edge. You would have to climb that retaining wall to gain access to that property to my west. There is another business building north of my vacant lot that is about 80' long (east to west) and 40' wide (north to south) that has access to that dead end side street. North of that building is a 10' drop off that ends at a set of railroad tracks. The north end of my property actually goes around the edges of that building and also ends at the rail road tracks. The east side of my property is about 60' east of my the east edge of my driveway. There are several houses east of me on this street, and across the street from me.

The dissembled donor truck is sitting on the west 1/2 of my driveway. There is about 10' from the garage door to the front of the donor. It pretty much is a rolling frame with the motor & trans still sitting on it. Behind it, is its extended cab, sitting on the cement blocks. To the west side, on the grass, is the pile of stuff that has been pulled off the donor truck. Also on the grass, and south of the pile of donor truck parts is my mule truck (with its box full of donor truck parts). To the west of this line is the 49 truck with the front clip pulled off. I just happen to have a rolling truck frame that I set the box off the donor truck on to, it is sitting facing east and west, about 20' west of the front end of the 49 chassis. Kind of gives you an idea what my layout looks like.

Tomorrows project is to get the 49 onto the driveway. I will have to hook a chain to it and pull it through the yard with the mule truck and get it onto the driveway. Once on the driveway, and I get the front end pointed towards the garage door, I will have to roll my cherry picker hoist out and lift the cab off the frame. Then I will have to pull that extra frame currently holding the donor truck's box back onto the driveway so I can set the 49 cab on top of it. Once the cab is on that frame, I will need to pull it back onto the grass and out of the way. Then I can pull the 49's box outer shell off the frame for the 49, and will probably end up putting in on the driveway behind the donor truck cab. Then I can pull the cherry picker back to the garage, then roll (push by hand) the 49's frame towards the garage. At this point I think I will probably put the 49 frame into the garage and paint it with a brush, before I start adding everything back on top of it. Probably next week I will pull it back out of the garage and start swapping parts from the donor frame to the 49 frame.

My neighbours get to see two trucks tore completely apart an scattered around my yard until I can start putting it back together. I'll bet they will love me... This won't be the 1st time that has happened, and probably won't be the last time.

After1 0r 2 more installments on this topic, look for the 49 Dodge truck build coming soon. Gene

Comment

Picture day!
                  Pic 1) This is the rusted out frame of the 96 Dakota. Under the blue tarp is a 44,000 mile 318 Magnum with its auto trans.
                  Pic 2) This is the 49 cab, actually sitting back on its original frame, for now. The black box is off the 96 Dakota, I will be using the floor and the box front panel along with the original box sides from the 49. The yellow paint was something I had laying around when I needed to protect the new bottom 6" of the door. I've looked at the yellow long enough I know for sure the truck won't be painted yellow!
                  Pic 3) The inside of the 49 cab.
                  Pic 4) The front sheet metal for the 49. The truck takes up a lot more ground when its not together.
                  Pic 5) This is the future frame for the 49. It has been shortened to the correct length, it was sandblasted, and then primed with a light grey/white primer. I'm going to clean it up a little and paint it semi gloss black. You also get a glimpse of the inside of the shop, my cherry picker fits in the whole in front of the air compressor.
                  Pic 6) This is a side view of the future 49 frames' front end.
                  I also have pictures from the outside of my place, but I need to resize them, if I can figure that out. Gene

Comment

More pictures.
                    My place.
                    Pic 1) Side lot, as seen from the corner of the side street that dead ends, and the street in front of my house that T's onto the street that dead ends. This is the current view everyone sees that comes around that corner.
                    Pic 2) The end of my driveway, as seen from the street in front of my house. It seems everyone that drives by here looks at my side lot all the time...
                    Pic 3) This would be the view from the end of the dead end street.
                    Pic 4) Same place, looking straight east at my garage. Notice how much the elevation drops off. There is a chain link gate on the left side of the picture, under the garage there is a basement garage, but the only access is through that gate. Those pine trees you see in the background are at the eastern edge of my property.
                    Pic 5) This would be a picture of my driveway and the side of my house. The parts leaning against the house are from the 57 wagon we stripped out last week. The line going across the driveway are 10' apart, and from the grass to the rocks at the other edge of the drive is 19' across.
                    Pic 6) Parts and pieces that should have been in the last post. The bed liner came out of the 96 bed and has fenders and stuff in it. Then forward from that is the 49 box sides, sitting upside down (it was the only way I could get it off the frame by myself). Forward of it is my mule Dakota. To the right of the mule is the 49 sitting on its original frame. The building behind the 49 is actually across both streets, it is a restaurant that had a small fire just before the virus hit, and they haven't done anything with it yet. The little patch of blacktop you see where the 49 front clip would have been is actually the corner of the two streets that edge my property. The picture is deceiving, The two pint trees in front of the 49 are actually 75' to the west of the driveway, and the front tree is nearly 100' from where the picture was taken. If you look past the two pine trees, you can see how the ground is dropping and you can see the beginning of the retaining wall that supports the parking lot of the business across the dead end side street from me.
                    Pic 7) This is about the best picture I have of the 49 more or less together, sitting on the future Dakota frame. It still looked like this Wed afternoon. Gene

Comment

Gene- the Dodge Whisperer. LOL! Never seen a yard so full of vehicles that looked so kept up. You would be the best kind of neighbor!

Comment

Thanks Old Stuff, this place is the only business property on the entire length of the street. I try to keep things up for the neighbours. We had an older couple that lived on the east side of us that sold their house and moved a couple years ago. Our city has a thing they call "The nicest places in town" and they hand out 5 little signs each year that they post on places they think are the best kept places in town. That older couple that lived next door to us won one of those 5 signs almost every year of the 15 we have lived here. When the people next door are winning one of the 5 nicest places in town awards, a guy feels pretty obligated to try to keep his place up.

Most of those pictures were taken last night about 6 pm. today we spent part of the morning mowing and trimming. It takes a little over an hour to mow this .6 acer with a 46" zero turn mower. Gene

Comment

Have family in town so it's been non stop drinking. To my surprise I woke up feeling great so went and washed and waxed the wife's truck(which got new tires the day before!) Swam in the pool with the kids and burned a bunch of fireworks!! It was a good day
                          and this truck is wwwwaaayyyyy to new for killbillet but hey I love em all!

Comment

My wife and I took the 39 Dodge over to the Vintage Torquefest in Dubuque on Fri. and Sat. along with a few things for the swap meet. The independent front suspension without fenders make it not in line with their rules, but since we were in the swap meet, they let us in. We got a great swap space where we could watch the cars and the people come in. We got there early, so all the cars had to drive right past us. It got pretty hot, but we had an easy-up, a cooler, and a couple chairs. The place we got had a nice breeze blowing most of the day. We didn't sell a thing, but we exposed the truck to a lot of people (its for sale). All in all, it was a fun day.
                            Today we didn't do anything.
                            Tomorrow will be another day on the 49, maybe I will get the frame ready to paint, or maybe not. Its suppose to be in the 90s with high humidity all week here. Gene

Comment

Stopped by the local Home Depot this morning to grab some supplies to go make some grocery money. I come out and see a killer '64 Dodge A100. This ride was amazing with the curved windows in the corners- and is his daily driver! Ended up talking with the guy about 30 minutes (of course) making me late. Worth every minute of it!

Comment

Those A100 pickups are pretty cool, you don't see many out in the wild any more. As far as being late because of talking to someone about a cool ride, my wife tells me men talk way more then women do, but I don't believe her.....

It was a really nice morning today, we started out with mid 70s and very low humidity. I got a lot of stuff done. The last 3 days I've been slowly painting the frame that is going under the 49 Dodge. I'm painting it with a brush, and its been so hot the paint inside the can starts setting up and I had to stop. Tuesday I did the rear frame section, inside and outside the "C" channel. Wednesday I painted the front section. this paint I'm using is an old can of semi gloss black that is probably more then 10 years old. Its the old stuff that takes 6-8 hours to dry under normal conditions, and even longer with the high humidity we have had all week. This can of paint is also the stuff where you throw the brush away after your done with it for the day because you will never get clean enough it won't be rock solid the next day. Thursday I did a few touch ups then made a list of what I still needed to pull off the 96 frame, and most importantly, what order the parts had to come off.

Looking at both frames, I realized the "new" frame is missing a bolt in cross member that supports the fuel tank. Fortunately, that cross member is still basically intact on the 96 frame, but its really crusty looking. To remove that cross member, I will need to drop the fuel tank (it had to happen sometime because I'm using that tank). One minor problem is I suspect that tank is nearly full of gas, and its a 16 gal tank. I did cut the fuel lines with a tubing cutter and smashed both ends closed without dumping a lot of fuel on the driveway that might cause a problem later. To add to the excitement, there are skid plates under everything on the 96's frame, including the fuel tank, that skid plate is held up with 4 bolts, 2 screw into the frame rail, and the center 2 use the same studs the hold the gas tank straps. To my surprise, the 2 bolts in the frame rail came out with my impact gun. The center two had 4" of nasty rusted threaded rods that the nuts would have to spin off of. I put my trusty floor jack under the skid plate, in case stuff went wrong. The forward most nut actually unscrewed all the way off. Yea, that surprised me too! The 2nd one screwed right off to, but it screwed out of the cross member with both the skid plate and the fuel tank strap still bolted together. I got my sawzall out and cut the skid plate bracket, being thankful there wasn't a bunch of gas laying on the driveway under the two line I cut earlier. Then I removed the floor jack and pulled the skip plate out from under the frame. Then I put the floor jack under the fuel tank and started loosening the one remaining fuel tank strap. I incorrectly expected that nut holding the tank strap would also spin loose like the skid plate nut did. When it spun out of the cross member and the tank dropped towards the side, there was no longer any doubt the tank was full, or nearly full. It slid right off the jack and landed on the driveway in one easy motion. Fortunately I managed to get my arm out from under the tank and strap with a minor scrape on my arm. All I had to do then was drag the tank out from under the frame, and lift one end at a time up onto my creeper. Once on the creeper I rolled it into the shop.

Once the fuel tank was out of the way I cut off the 8 bolts that held the cross member I needed to the frame. Then I cut a notch out of the frame to remove the cross member. I'm not sure how I'm going to install it onto the "new" frame, but I'm pretty sure I won't install it the same way I removed it from the old frame. With the cross member out of the frame I proceeded to descale it with a needle scaler on an impact gun. It cleaned up pretty good, I'm going to paint this cross member with a spray can, then figure out how I'm going to get it into place. The only other things I did today was removed both driveshafts, and I ordered new motor & trans mounts, and new brake hoses. Tomorrow morning I hope to have the motor & trans sitting on the ground. I and also going to pull and use the power steering box off the 96 because it ha such low miles on it, and I know its all closed up until I separate it tomorrow. I have no idea what condition the steering box is in that is on the "new" frame. Gene

Comment

Working...
                                X