No announcement yet.

What did you do today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Haven't touched the truck in a bit over 2 weeks. Do you realize how many new projects Beyer13 coulda found in that time???

Finally feeling like a humanoid yesterday I worked on the '30 for about an hour. One more small piece of riveted trim, and more studying of gauge placements. Kinda nice to start getting caught up with some of the cool projects you guys and gals are building.
    https://www.killbillet.com/forum/30s...the-30-chevyMy 1930 Chevy truck build link:

Comment

I didn't do anything rod related today. My hands and arms ache from all the body work.

My wife has been talking about new kitchen cabinets and counter top for several years (we have lived here for 19 years and the place is paid for), so today we made a trip to the kitchen remodel store with measurements in hand. It will probably be Monday before the guy emails me the scary numbers. This plan has been in the works for several years, she has been setting money aside for it all along. We just have no idea how much money we are talking about, maybe she has enough, maybe not. I'm really hoping the we have enough set aside so when the numbers come in, I can say yes. Gene

Comment

Still pluggin' away! Fabbed the upper toe board first then moved on to the floorpan.....

Done with the left side.....

Moving on to the right side which is far worse.....

The right side body brace is in the same condition as the other one as is the inner rocker.....

I had to remove so much structure I deemed it prudent to remove the door so all it's weight wouldn't twist the body. I threw together a door dolly made from 2x4s and some spare casters.
        It's the same height as the car sits so it's real easy to R&R by myself.

I noticed rust bleed through from the previous owners bodywork so I thought I'd better check that out. Good thing I did!

Booger welds!

Wow!

I'm disgusted now! That's all for today.

Last edited by 2.3Turbo_T; 02-15-2020, 11:38 AM.

Comment

Well, finally finished the floorboard installation and actually got around to creating a build thread. From now on, any updates will be there......

My '54 Customline build

Comment

last night/early this morning I watched the Rat City Rukkus Las Vegas 2019. Wish there was something similar down south....
            https://www.killbillet.com/forum/30s...the-30-chevyMy 1930 Chevy truck build link:

Comment

Got the sun visor finished and tied in a few days ago and then started the upper console panel mock up for gauge placement. (both of those posted in my build thread). Last night I pulled the axles getting ready for the new bolt pattern to be put in. The fun continues....
              Last edited by Old Stuff; 03-02-2020, 05:28 AM.

Comment

I had a fun day... I started out by fixing the furnace in my shop. The inside temp was down to 42 degrees with the thermostat set at 60! Took about an hour to get it going, it appears the furnace doesn't like me doing body work in the shop either. After I got it cleaned up, and going, it ran properly all day. I wonder if I'll have heat in the morning.
                Then I sanded the cowl cover smooth, I did that outside because I thought I was going to be able to maybe prime the car today, but that didn't happen either. I had a few spots on the front fenders I just couldn't leave go, and I had a couple spots on the cowl cover that needed a little more filler, so I did those places, and sanded them smooth inside the shop, it was really cold outside this morning, the weather guy said it was suppose to be warm today, he only missed his projected temp by 10 degrees, with a 15 mph wind out of the north!

Then I got my sanding done, backed the car out of the shop and blew the body dust off the outside and the inside. While the car was outside, I cleaned up the shop some. I did 2 rounds of sweeping, back to back, then pulled the car back in.

If I have heat tomorrow, I will tape off the glass, cover the wheels and cover the radiator. I'm going to cover all the stuff on the sides of the shop with paint covers. Tomorrow is prime and 400 on the DA day. Hopefully, Wednesday or Thursday will be paint day! Gene

Comment

Originally posted by Gene View Post
                  I had a fun day... I started out by fixing the furnace in my shop. The inside temp was down to 42 degrees with the thermostat set at 60! Took about an hour to get it going, it appears the furnace doesn't like me doing body work in the shop either. After I got it cleaned up, and going, it ran properly all day. I wonder if I'll have heat in the morning.
                  Then I sanded the cowl cover smooth, I did that outside because I thought I was going to be able to maybe prime the car today, but that didn't happen either. I had a few spots on the front fenders I just couldn't leave go, and I had a couple spots on the cowl cover that needed a little more filler, so I did those places, and sanded them smooth inside the shop, it was really cold outside this morning, the weather guy said it was suppose to be warm today, he only missed his projected temp by 10 degrees, with a 15 mph wind out of the north!

Then I got my sanding done, backed the car out of the shop and blew the body dust off the outside and the inside. While the car was outside, I cleaned up the shop some. I did 2 rounds of sweeping, back to back, then pulled the car back in.

If I have heat tomorrow, I will tape off the glass, cover the wheels and cover the radiator. I'm going to cover all the stuff on the sides of the shop with paint covers. Tomorrow is prime and 400 on the DA day. Hopefully, Wednesday or Thursday will be paint day! Gene
                  Excited for you Gene! Lot a days in the saddle getting to that point. Can't wait to see the new color!

Comment

I may have been pretty optimistic, given how this has gone so far...
                    I did get the car in primer, I got that finished about 8pm tonight.
                    Several years ago I bought a cheap Harbor Freight paint gun. That one worked pretty well for the price invested, I probably painted the last 3 rides with that gun, but I knew it was getting bad. A few months ago, I bought another cheap Harbor Freight paint gun. Today was the 1st chance I got to use it. Lets just say the experience wasn't nearly as good as it was with the 1st gun.
                    I started out cleaning the gun (I've experienced the condition they send them here in before). Upon reassembly I noticed the trigger lever was pretty slow in returning. I took it apart and cleaned it again, and it seemed to loosen up more every time I pulled the trigger, so I thought I was going to be OK. I got the gun dialled in, and loaded it up with primer, and it didn't work! I wasn't getting any primer out of the gun, and the trigger was hanging open a long time after I released it. I had to recruit something to dump the primer into while I took the gun apart again. The new gun only came with a 1.4 needle, and it was suggested to me I needed a 2.0 needle. My old gun had a 2.0 needle, so I hijacked it. I ended up removing the rubber "O" ring on the trigger plunger. I put it back together, and it seemed to work OK, so I loaded up the primer again, and nothing! Still no primer coming out of the gun, no matter what I did. So there is a filter in the bottom of the cup, of course you need to take the cup off to remove the filter. Emptied the primer out of the cup and removed the filter, then reassembled and loaded up the primer again. This time I managed to get about a 3" long fan, but the primer in the cup is starting to get a bit thick. I started on the roof and sprayed out that cup of primer. It doesn't cover very well with only a 3" long fan. No kind of adjustments seemed to help at all.
                    When the cup was empty, I put a little thinner in the cup and sprayed it onto a piece of cardboard I had there. That helped a lot, but still not a long enough fan to get good coverage, but good enough to put the 1st coat on the car. I cleaned up and went in to eat.
                    After supper, things went a little better. I'm sure the clean gun helped, and probably the fresh restired primer didn't hurt either. The gun does have a few problems. One big one it I've found the air pressure lock doesn't really lock. I'm running a regulator with a gage and a water trap on the gun inlet, so I had (or thought I had) the gun pressure regulator locked fully open. The reality was that as I used the guy, the gun regulator was slowly cutting off the air supply. I also noticed the fan lock doesn't really lock either, it would move every time I twisted my wrist. Once I figured out I had these two problems, the primer job went a lot better. The car is definitely covered with primer now. Its pretty thick, and its pretty rough. It will be interesting to see how the 400 cuts that stuff in the morning. I do have some 380 and some 220 for the DA, I might have to start with one of those before the 400, but I'll stick a piece of 400 on the DA to see how it will work 1st.
                    As for the paint gun, I think I'm going to see how much of the stuff on this new gun will work on my old gun. If that doesn't work, I might haul this back to HF.

it just occurred to me that the last time this car was in one color of primer was 2012, and that white primer was brushed on! Gene
                    Last edited by Gene; 03-03-2020, 10:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gene View Post
                      I ...............

it just occurred to me that the last time this car was in one color of primer was 2012, and that white primer was brushed on! Gene
                      See.... as we get older the changes and adventures don't go away... LOL! Getting closer Gene! You must celebrate when done with a new Rat Fink coffee mug or tee shirt. LOL

Comment

Yesterday I took my axles and drums to a very good friend of mine that I've known since the late 70's. He's a fabricator with his own shop and drives a killer looking '66 Chevy flat bed rat- 230 with turbo and 5-speed. T'was 3 1/2 hours away but well worth the trip. Always fun spending time with an old friend.

The plan was to change the bolt pattern to match the front but upon getting started he discovered that 1 axle was bad (and no doubt the bearing as well) and the other not really great for a road trip to see Burnin#2 LOL. (Why I assumed and didn't clean/look at the bearing ride surface I have no clue. Humbled again.... LOL.) Figured that since I was already there, we'd go ahead and drill them both, along with the drums, and at least get me in the rolling category (and lite test driving) for the truck. I'll pick up some new axles in the future before the hard test and tune begins. Since no motor and trans yet I've got plenty of time to save up a few more bucks and keep working on the '30.

Were I to find, in the mean time, a 1.5 ton Isuzu diesel I might solve a multitude of things in one fell swoop... Big cheesy grin. (where's them emojis! LOL)

Comment

Back on the seed cleaning plant......
                          heres some progress pics....
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	20200308_175855.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	2.92 MB
ID:	726268Click image for larger version

Name:	20200308_175844.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	2.84 MB
ID:	726269Click image for larger version

Name:	20200303_141604.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	2.21 MB
ID:	726272Click image for larger version

Name:	20200308_183038.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	3.48 MB
ID:	726270
                          I'm making conveyors to move the grain and screenings around....
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	20200310_212930.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	2.89 MB
ID:	726271
                          My build thread:
                          https://www.killbillet.com/forum/20s...at-is-it/page7

Comment

Well... a couple of days ago technically- but I got new shoes for my '30 and it's now a roller! Will post some pics later this evening. (Proud cheesy grin here)

Comment

Just went back and re-read (again) the thread that BareRose started a couple years ago- What is a rat rood to you: https://www.killbillet.com/forum/rat...rat-rod-to-you . Still just as good as it was LOL. Sure would like to see some of those folks jumping on the forum more and showing some builds.

Me- yesterday spent some time laying on the floorboard looking under the dash and how I would support some flexing, and thinking further about windshield glass install with the frame I fabbed. Good times...

Comment

Well, they lifted the 'shelter in place' order on Sunday so today I pulled the roadster out of hibernation and took it out for a 60 mile ride. Temps in the mid 80's and the wine country is just stunning in the spring! Car ran great but I noticed a whine coming from the upper intake. Maybe a vacuum leak. I'll check into it tomorrow. The '54 is coming along. I just added electric power steering and power brakes to it. I'll have to update the build thread soon.

Comment

Working...
                                X