Is this engine too big??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this engine too big??

I have the opportunity to buy this engine for scrap price...
    it's from the 50's it is a Clevland engine
    V16 configuration
    2 stroke diesel. Click image for larger version

Name:	20201109_182640.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	2.69 MB
ID:	728322Click image for larger version

Name:	20201109_182656.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	2.22 MB
ID:	728323
    one of 2 gensets that powered a pulp mill in Hinton Alberta.
    it's in line to be cut up and scrapped.... I dont know if I can let that happen to a piece of history like that.....
    I want to preserve it and get it running.
    *might have to pay $300.00............
    My build thread:
    https://www.killbillet.com/forum/20s...at-is-it/page7

Gunna have to be a pretty stout front end on the rat rod your going to put that one in. Might be pretty hard to see around too, that one may have to be a rear engine rat.
    Kind of hard to judge the actual size of it from the pictures, but I'm guessing its 20' long, and probably around 10' from the ground to the top of the thing?

I must say, you come up with some pretty BIG stuff!

I used to work in factory maintenance for 3 different factories. If it was maintained like those factories maintained things, I wouldn't have any problems seeing that go to scrap. They run stuff like this until it won't run, then they cobble it together for as cheap as possible, then run it until it won't run again. Then they repeat the process until they can't get it to run at all. Things get really bad when they think the company is about to close up.

Of course, we want to see the video when you get it running. Gene

Comment

A rat locomotive! Build it! Though the farm work may slow down a little bit.... LOL

If I was the die-hard diesel guy like you, and had the equipment to haul it and the room to put it, (big smile) it's a no-brainer for $300 because it's freaking cool. Upside is that if you are successful in getting it rebuilt (not betting against you on that!) you'd have one heck of a back-up generator for your farm!

What's the approx size?
      https://www.killbillet.com/forum/30s...the-30-chevyMy 1930 Chevy truck build link:

Comment

I cant imagine what the cost of rebuilding something like this, that's not an option.

gene is right it's about 9' tall and probably 15+ feet long.
        Weighs possibly 40,000 lbs
        if I got it, I'd be happy as long as it would run.
        I would put it on wheels to take to the local fair and our tractor show.
        I would ditch the generator section, that thing is 8' around!

the pulp mill they came from converted into burning their own waste to create power... so it's not that it ran till the end... hard to say what the condition of it is...
        maybe I should pull a inspection panel and look at the cylinder walls......
        Last edited by Burnin#2; 11-13-2020, 11:02 PM.
        My build thread:

Comment

Can you imagine that sitting out in the middle of nowhere? All by itself? That would trip out some people. I still think it's freaking cool looking regardless of it running or not.
          https://www.killbillet.com/forum/30s...the-30-chevyMy 1930 Chevy truck build link:

Comment

40,000 lbs!!!!
            Back in my younger days working in factory maintenance, we had a 15,000 fork lift. Moving and lifting stuff at or near its capacity was nerve racking enough, I was the designated fork truck driver.
            These days, I have trouble dealing with anything that comes near the capacity of my Harbor Freight floor jack, which is suppose to be rated at 6,000 lbs (that I wouldn't trust at that weight)! Gene

Comment

It's a rough estimate of weight.. and I cant find much info on this engine.
              I wish I could find someone who operated/maintained one like it.
              in looking at the huge radiators thatvarthat are with it a tag says "oil radiator".... so did these things use oil of some kind in stead of water based coolant??
              apparently someone was going to use this as a gate sign but never came to get it...
              cool directions to give.
              "Yea drive down the road on the right hand side you'll see a big engine.... yea, it a REALLY BIG engine... turn there, my house is on the right. 😁👍
              My build thread:

Comment

I wonder if you could google search the engine manufacturer and get some sort of an repair/maintenance book covering the engine. Back in the day, most of those big companies were pretty good at providing repair manuals for their equipment. A lot of businesses got upgraded equipment from the government at the beginning of WWII if the business was deemed essential for the war effort.

As far as the oil cooling, some factories were really good at making use of everything.
                Using oil to cool the engine could have a lot of advantages in the cold weather. You don't have to be concerned about it freezing when the engine might be shut down for weekends or something. Unless it got really hot, the oil should do a pretty good job of cooling the motor, and you eliminate all the corrosion issues related to water cooling. Another side effect is you can pump the hot coolant oil through piping through radiators in an office or some other confined area and have free heat in the winters without a combustion concern. Gene

Comment

Working...
                X