No announcement yet.

Farm machinery thread [for fun]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hopefully the crank didn't get hurt when the rod departed. Any motors I've had with a rod sticking out has had a bad crankshaft. Years ago I tried the file and emery paper on a crank that had a spun rod bearing (never broke the rod) and it looked really good and smooth. I even plastic gauged the rod clearance when I got done and everything looked great, the bearing insert looked good in the rod, and it torqued good. The new rod bearing lasted about 30 seconds before it spun and the knock reappeared.
    I hope your cheap rebuild works out for you better then mine did for me. Gene

Comment

Thx gene.
      yea, I've never tried it, so I'm very curious how it will turn out.
      thing is with this tractor I can drop the pan and literally do an in frame rebuild of the engine without pulling the block.
      so it's easy enough to access the bearings.

in your case with a spun bearing, wouldn't that lead you to believe a problem with the rod, not holding the bearing shells correctly?
      My build thread:
      https://www.killbillet.com/forum/20s...at-is-it/page7

Comment

I suspect the 2nd failure was a combination of probably a missed bad spot on the crank and probably a damaged rod. This was a 440 in a 70 Charger RT I'd bought for $100. I bought the car to part out, and I figured it wasn't going to work, but for the cost of the single rod bearing and a little form-a-gasket it was worth a shot. Of course, this was done on my back, under the car, on the street, in front of my house, in town, and it was done after I got off work a 5:30 one evening.
        I made a small fortune parting that car out, and I was able to keep the 440 and the 4 speed. A few years later someone wanted that 440 much worse then I did so it went away as well. At the time i was buying cars to part out, that was how I funded my car addition.

I would assume the part hanging out of the block is a rod end. It probably had a spun bearing as well. The block patch will work out OK, but I would plan on at least getting the crank rod journals turned and a new piston and rod. Hopefully when the piston hit the head, it didn't bend any valves. Gene

Comment

Yep it is the rod end peeking out the hole...
          I really dont wanna pull the crank.
          Will most likely get a different rod, hope for the best. Usually diesel valves are flat with the piston so if they kissed usually damage does not occur there.
          we will see, it will be cheap... this time :]
          My build thread:

Comment

Be sure to post pictures when you get the pan off. I like to see destruction, um, as long as its not my stuff.... I had enough of that when I was young, I broke a lot of car parts. My motto back then was: "Nothing is indestructible, if you haven't broke it yet, your not trying hard enough!" Gene

Comment

Oh, I'm gonna take full advantage of our new site and, there WILL be pics!
              stay tuned.
              My build thread:

Comment

Working...
              X