Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"abomination" cheap, fun, Faux ratty rod (build in progress)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "abomination" cheap, fun, Faux ratty rod (build in progress)

okay so the initial build of this is fairly easily gonna stay under the $3K mark (canadian 3K too.. so like $4.50 US ) .. later on it'll probably get a different motor, better built trans, air ride and 4 link.... but NO SHINEY PAINT!

I call it my Faux rod as nothing on it will be older then 1970 ... however the end look will be late 30's 5window coupe with a back seat. How? vw bug parts :D

as of this post, I am only about 3 weeks officially Into the project. I spend about the last year lining up some deals and parts (and well... college)

the concept

started with a free S10 ..friend bought for a song cause it's got a pretty nasty knock and all he wanted was the body panels. We now believe that the knock is a grenaded flexplate or converter. So we struck a deal I remove the body parts, I get to keep whats left (ie chassis/mechanicals, and whats left of the cab)

I've got a really old house that used to have a car port in the basement, due to changes in laws and insurance I can't keep a running vehicle in there... so

off comes the box and out comes the fuel tank, and other fluids

Then shoved it into my little work space

Off come the panels my friend and I made the deal for

then out comes the first round with the sawzall

Shortly after my bug chunks arrived!.. cut up body shells of a 70 std beetle, and a 70 super beetle... I am currently still awaiting a back 'half' cut of a 73 super beetle which will have the decent B pillars, and rockers/lower door sills I need

Then a little testing to make sure my thoughts on being able to keep the important parts of the stock S10 firewall and floor .. it will just clear the master cylinder (I may have to move the fusebox, no biggie) .. and it just clears the heatercore/inner heater box (I will have to modify the blower fans intake/position, and the box... again not a huge deal)

couple of deals that popped up I couldn't resist ... brand new engine hoist, and a welder :D (I'm not counting these in my project total $ )

And now to the current stage ... rough cutting the floor away to fit where the front of the new body is going to sit ... the rest of the body will be built from this.

the real fun is going to be seeing if I can incorporate/hide the front cab mount into the body... the rear cab mount should tuck into the b pillar area nicely

it'll be the equiv of a 2ish inch body drop or channel

Once this section is positioned where I want it ... the 'cab' gets stripped of all its insides, and taken off the chassis, engine/trans removed to be gone through/freshened/modded. the rest of the body will be built inside... and the chassis goes back outside for clean, coat, some repairs...etc

$ tally to date : $350 for vw bug body parts, $0 for S10

Watching!!!!
    Clutter is the evidence of life!

https://www.minterfab.com/

Comment

I wish I had more to update... head colds been kicking my butt on my days off... add into that the point in the build of "this goes here, which moves this here, wait, this has to be here, which puts that there.... damnit"

so once the initial placement is sorted.... all the s10 peices have been picked up ... and the last bug peice is dropped off ... things should move much faster

Comment

okay little more progress... don't have the rear section I need with the good b pillars and rockers yet... so can only go so far...

doesn't 'look' like much ... but fairly substantial mock and fabrication wise, everything is built off this placement

but heres how much you have to cut out of s10 floor pan to fit a bug body if you were wondering

heres the front A pillar section all trimmed and tacked into it's new home ... the drivers door can be seen off to the side in the background with a grumpy hinge so it didn't get to be mounted for mock up

and heres shot showing how far set back the front section is from the stock firewall, also shows how much of a cowl it's going to have.

I won't be cutting the firewall to shape till I have the rear section/rockers in place and some bracing.

Comment

project is not dead! ... I am still awaiting the last 'chunk of bug' (the one with good B pillars/rockers ) ... took the first actual vacation from work I ever have, with the family for 5 days over last weekend.

so While awaiting the body chunk, I still move on to ripping the engine and trans out this weekend and start on the freshen up/rebuild/foolishly spending time and money on a 2.hate v6 (it might make 175ish hp at the flywheel woohoo!! )

Comment

Originally posted by RecklessCreation View Post
            project is not dead! ... I am still awaiting the last 'chunk of bug' (the one with good B pillars/rockers ) ... took the first actual vacation from work I ever have, with the family for 5 days over last weekend.

so While awaiting the body chunk, I still move on to ripping the engine and trans out this weekend and start on the freshen up/rebuild/foolishly spending time and money on a 2.hate v6 (it might make 175ish hp at the flywheel woohoo!! )

Why yes that V6 only has 175 hp, compared to the maxed out VW bug motor at 95 or 100 HP?

How about a little history? In 1954, the most powerful motor in the world was in a production car, it was a 1954 Chrysler New Yorker with a 331 Hemi sporting a 4 barrel carb, it made a whopping 195 hp. Something that was unheard of in automobile production. That was the real beginning of the horse power wars! By the mid 60s, it wasn't unusual to get 1 hp per cubic inch of displacement with displacement reaching into the 426-428 CI range. It took until the mid 80s to reach 2 hp per cubic inch, but those were no production cars, they were flat out drag cars.

Production hp started escalating again in the early 2005 when Ford stepped up the output of the Mustang. The last few years have seen another jump in production HP, now exceeding 700 hp, and nearing 800 hp.

The V6 motors of the mid 90s puts out as much hp as the mid 300 cubic inch V8s did through most of the 60s, and the current V6 motors put out as much hp as most of the famed late 60s muscle cars did. 175 HP is not something to be looked down upon, it was a very respectable hp output of its time, and isn't too far out of the normal range for today's basic commuter cars. Gene

Comment

oh I'm aware ... and this thing should be 2600lb range. so with the bumped up 2.8 it should be enough to have some fun doing the shakedowns and stuff.

what alot of people don't realize either is the generic SBC they keep telling me I should be installing ... is 175-200hp ... weighs 150ish lbs more... and puts 150+lbs 6-8 inchs further forward then the v6 I am running atm

if I like the way the car feels after the build ... I'll be building another v6 for it ... way more raunchy 300+hp ;) anything more then 300hp for this particular build will be wasted

my comment about the 2.8 itself was that it's generally considered one of the more horrible engine choices of the v6 options .. stock it's like 140hp ... without a TON of work... 175-180hp is it's 'street' limit (N/A ofcourse, a simple turbo can throw that to 300hp pretty easy...etc)

anyways... I had a dope moment over the weekend... I went to start pulling the engine, completely forgot I don't have any chains..etc for said engine lifting. so snagged some from work for arrival of paycheck this weekend... so with any luck ... engine pulling will happen... if I'm really lucky the big body bit that's holding me up will arrive too!

Comment

Working...
              X