New under 3000 member

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New under 3000 member

Hi. I am a highschooler i love rats and everything about them. I am planning on starting a new rat rod build this coming fall i am aquiring parts until then, i as of now have a 1969 352 v8 5.8 with a 3 on the tree transmission and i am getting a ford rear end soon and hopfully the front suspension off my friends rat that he wants to upgrade i want to make a sedan kind of rat but instead of just the front buckets and the rear bench seat i want the front buckets and two rear bench seats so its kind of gking to be a long rat and i want to fabricate the whole body as well as the frame because i can aquire all the metal for free. Any advice will be helpful especially from rat vets. Thanks!

Safety, safety, saftey! Don't skimp just to make it under $3000!
    Clutter is the evidence of life!

https://www.minterfab.com/

Comment

Safety, safety, saftey! Don't skimp just to make it under $3000! X2!

Plus, if you are going to all the work to build something, make sure you are proud of it and like it. There are a lot of cars out there that someone put a lot of time and $ into just to end up with something really ugly.

Comment

3K is a tough job for an experienced builder with lots of equipment, skills, and a pile of stuff laying around.

Don't get discouraged if you can't keep the build under that 3K number. 10 years ago, 3K was pretty easy, these days, that number should probably be inflation adjusted to 5K to be realistic.

The new truck I'm building will be built on the cheap side, I've been building these things for years. Just the replacement front brake pads, rotors and calipers on my modern chassis are over $200, then I have rear brakes, brake lines and hoses, and a master, I suspect I'm going to have nearly 1K in just brake replacement parts, and I'm not driving this thing with old brakes. The cost of all the little stuff just before your ready to drive it adds up to more then all the big stuff does. Gene

Comment

Originally posted by Choppy jake View Post
          Hi. I am a highschooler i love rats and everything about them. I am planning on starting a new rat rod build this coming fall i am aquiring parts until then, i as of now have a 1969 352 v8 5.8 with a 3 on the tree transmission and i am getting a ford rear end soon and hopfully the front suspension off my friends rat that he wants to upgrade i want to make a sedan kind of rat but instead of just the front buckets and the rear bench seat i want the front buckets and two rear bench seats so its kind of gking to be a long rat and i want to fabricate the whole body as well as the frame because i can aquire all the metal for free. Any advice will be helpful especially from rat vets. Thanks!
          Hope you haven't lost intrest buddy, and best of luck to you.
          As for doing this, we (me and my dad) set this goal for our 1st one when dad closed his shop and finally retired. He had a towing/automotive buisness and we ran the monster truck "Thumper" for 20+ years. Gave us access to lots and lots of parts we gathered and rats nested since the 70's. We built the frame, set the rear-end and front end SB Chev and TH350 in no time flat, and where going to home build the body from sheet metal. Whent to Harbour Feight and bought a multi-break/shear, and english wheel. set everything up, and said screw it. A guy stopped by and offered to trade a TOTALLY rusted out 72 VW Bug (with title!) for an old 4 wheeler trailer (we where going to just scrap). We cut the hell out to of that Bug, Chopped the nose completely off, took 4"s out off the bottom (that mother nature allready did most of), and made it look kinda like a late 40's open wheel, mini sedan setting on that Z frame. That old 4 wheeler trailer I got for free, just to get it out of my neighbors field, so really the body didn't cost anything but a lot of cut-off wheels, and sawsall blades to make it look less like a VW bug, and more like a 40 Ford sedan.
          Point is...... if we would've stuck to our original plan of making a C cab out of flat stock, we'd still be making it, of going through the lenghthy paper-work to get it titled. Instead we took something nasty, and made it into something totally different. * (have you really looked at the body lines on a GEO Metro or PT Cruiser, call me crazy, but I see potential in that if you can just come up with the right front end and fenders, making a clasic dash is easier than the whole car)
          Something to consider in your quest.
          Either way you go...... good luck, and have fun doing it.

Comment

Working...
          X