• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1955 Dodge Fargo

Oh I forgot to say some stuff about the costs
    Well the cost the truck cab 300.00
    materials at this time maybe 50.00
    Hope to find a dakota truck for under 800.00

Keep replying on your original post, or the build will get scattered around and we will miss a lot of it. If its on the same post, we can go back and review to refresh our memories on what you have done. Gene

Comment

Hi guys well I have been doing some work on my fargo and getting ready to cut the floor out next week. I did make a video on the tools I'll be using to cut the and firewall
      here the video is. Oh I did find a donor chassis and cheap that will be shown after christmas

Comment

Hi guys I'v done more work on my Fargo and I cut the floor out in prep for the floor swap here is my video

Comment

Two things.
          1) Don't open and close those doors any more then you have to. With out the bracing of the floor, and with no additional lower cab bracing, that cab will flex and move every time the doors are opened. Then when you weld it onto your Dakota floor, it may not still be straight or square.

2) The 55 should be 6 volts yet, I believe Dodge changed to 12 volts in 56. The windshield wiper motor will work wonderfully (even if its 6 volts) on a 12 volt system as long as you don't run them on max speed. If the wiper motor is indeed a 6 volt, it will run very fast on 12 volts. If you still have the original heater, the blower motor on it will work the same way as the wiper motor. Gene

Comment

Thanks for the heads up Gene.

Comment

Hi guys I want your input here what is a better way to post here pictures and a link to my videos or just pictures?

Comment

Originally posted by Gene View Post
                Two things.
                1) Don't open and close those doors any more then you have to. With out the bracing of the floor, and with no additional lower cab bracing, that cab will flex and move every time the doors are opened. Then when you weld it onto your Dakota floor, it may not still be straight or square.

2) The 55 should be 6 volts yet, I believe Dodge changed to 12 volts in 56. The windshield wiper motor will work wonderfully (even if its 6 volts) on a 12 volt system as long as you don't run them on max speed. If the wiper motor is indeed a 6 volt, it will run very fast on 12 volts. If you still have the original heater, the blower motor on it will work the same way as the wiper motor. Gene
                Last year I bought a '57 1 1/2 ton Dodge for the cab and front clip (hoping it had the Hemi - it didn't) that was already converted to 12 volt and a 70's 318 in it. Everything works as you said, and I've done quite a few conversions to this as well (6v Starters actually work better on 12v)...... but those old Dodges ran on Pos Ground as well.
                Messes with the gas guage when you "Runt" it, and makes it work backwards (empty is full, full is empty). I usually run an aftermarket 12v guage pack to eliminate all this headache.
                Other that that, everything else works fine (of corse you have to cange all the lights, alternator, condenser, coil etc etc etc).
                And oh yeah..... x-bracing the cab, or tack welding the doors shut will save you days/weeks/months of trying to get everything to fit right after you are done with the floor. Made that mistake once. and it was enough to never do that again.

Comment

Working...
                X