No announcement yet.

48 willys.....project 4Low

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your frame would work fine with the mods you've done as long as you ditch the leafs and go with links and coils. It can be done on the cheap, probably less than 150 if your a good scrounger.

It's the motion and loading of the leafs that is going to cause you problems. without more bracing your frame is going to flex due to it's stress flowing from the perch down, back, up, back, down, back, up. Far from straight.

Comment

Hey FiveNDime, I'm knew here too. But I'm an old mechanical engineer, and would offer one suggestion for what you're doing. Maybe it is one of the things you haven't done yet. The front perch mount for the rear spring is mounted to solely the top flange of the frame rail. Normally they are mounted to the bottom so that all the force is spread through the bottom flange and the web, or side of the frame rail. I would box the inside of the frame below that vertical tube that has the front perch on it. Extend the plate a couple of inches in front of and behind the tube. If the rear perch is mounted similarly do the same. Otherwise love what you're doing. One of my future projects is an old Willys p/u that I recently got for free. Good luck with the build!

Comment

Been a while since I have had much time to do some good work to the rig. Spent a few months waiting on one part for the transfercase that is now in. Overdrive is done and in. Driveline for the rear is clearanced and installed, still have to do the front which is going to be tricky. I got my steering finihsed up minus bolting up the tie rod for good and setting the toe in. All thats really left is to notch the bed and install that. Finish getting my pinion angles right then welding those on. Some kind of electric fan setup. Shocks would be a good idea. I also have figured out a different set of tires for it since the frame is too low to the ground I need some taller tires lol. I wanted to go that route to begin with anyway. Oh, and started it up for the first time and it runs super rich so Its gonna have to go to a shop to get tuned once its done. Got a cool idea for the final exhaust too, I know the guy who ownes ETS (extreeme turbo systems) and we came up with a cool idea which you will have to see when its done. Got a sick idea for an exhaust tip that I have never seen before too, and that will have to wait as well lol. I'm glad to start the project moving forward again. Here are some pics of the current work.

Old school Warn Overdrive Unit.

Shifters huh. Yeah I got em, 4 to be exact lol.

Finished welded up steering. Steering itself is still not bolted on tight
        Last edited by FiveNdime; 10-30-2012, 08:10 PM.

Comment

Not sure of wahts up with my phone and its sizing deal. Sorry about that.

Comment

Any updates? Love the look :D

Comment

Iam doing a 48 right now myself and enjoyed your build, rock on man!!!

Comment

Looks Cool!

Comment

Cant believe I've never updated this thread. Not much has changed, put a ton of miles on it. Only issue I've had was my hood latch broke off while on a long trip. I had to remove the mechanical fan and put twin electrics on as well. It's got a little bump steer, but that's my only complaint other then I want to swap a V8 in it now.

Possibly going up for sale too. Trying to figure out a price.

Comment

Here is an updated photo. The wheels and tires Im running now area different then this photo though. I went back to the original 16" wheels and a 900-16 Mud Tire from Interco.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Haven't been on the sight for a while to see the progress. Looks great!

Comment

FiveNDime, Do you have a higher rez of that image? Would love to have something like this in the calendar this year. If you do please email admin@killbillet.com and I will see about getting it included. Looking good!

Comment

Originally posted by admin View Post
                          FiveNDime, Do you have a higher rez of that image? Would love to have something like this in the calendar this year. If you do please email admin@killbillet.com and I will see about getting it included. Looking good!
                          I'm honored to have you ask me! I just sent one via email, hopefully its a good enough one. If not I have a friend with a great digital camera that can take some I can send over. Let me know, hopefully im not to late on the deal! I've gotta get some new updated photos on here for everyone to see too.

Comment

Man, that is one cool truck. I’m glad you are putting miles on it.

Comment

Love your build. great work

Comment

Working...
                              X