47 Chevy AutoX Truck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 47 Chevy AutoX Truck

This build thread is for my low budget '47 Chevy truck designed to be a fun hot rod built for autocross. It is a father/son project that my Dad and I originally started around Christmas of 2008. The original build time was about 8 months. Since then on the project has evolved to make the truck faster in order to remain competitive.

The project started with some basic parts:

'47 Chevy with a good title - $50
    '84 S-10 - $200
    Chevy Truck Bed - $50
    Cragar Wheels - $300
    Edelbrock Aluminum Single Plane Intake, Edelbrock Aluminum Water Pump, Circle Track Headers, Circle Track Coil Over Shocks, Steering Wheel & G-Body Posi-Trac Differential - $300 Swap Meet Bargains
    Craigslist S-10 Drop Spindles - $75
    Glass - $100
    License - $25
    Tires - Free (Used some worn out tires donated by a friend to win some free tires at the Goodguy's Autocross)
    Headlights & Turn Signals - Free (Bought them with a gift certificate won as a door prize at a car show)
    305 Engine - Free (Took it out of a guy's truck and put in a 350 he had built for it)
    T5 Transmission & 7.5" 10 Bolt Rearend - Free (Came with the S-10)
    Neon Seats & Seat Belts - Free Took them out of a Neon we scrapped for a friend
    Most other small parts were either laying around the garage, donated by friends or relatives, or fabricated from scrap - ~$100

If you subtract the money we got from scrapping the left overs of the two trucks and some scarp we had been saving for a year or two $300 and the free tires and optima battery we won in the autocross with the hot rod $600, then we built it for very little money... Regardless of the calculations, the original "on the road and driving" build cost was not much if any beyond $1,000 out of pocket.

Attached Files
    Last edited by Hot Rod 47 Chevy; 02-21-2014, 08:25 AM.
    Tyler

There's nothing like building up an old automobile from scratch and wiping out one of these Detroit machines... That'll give you a set of emotions that will stay with you... Know what I mean? Those satisfactions are permanent...

Really cool!

Comment

nice

very nice truck c it can be done for less the n 3000 with friends and a little work well done

Comment

Build Pics?

Nice Looking truck!! Got any build pics?

Comment

What it's all about, Good job!!
          "It's not a rat rod, it's the best I can do!"

Comment

Build Pictures: Narrowing the Cab

My Dad and I actually built most of the frame using an '84 S-10 Extended Cab before we even bought the '47 Chevy, but I will post this part first because it was still early on in the project.

The truck was half buried in the ground in a gully on a farm. The owner had a good sized tractor and was able to help us pull it out and force it onto a trailer. The farmer had bought the truck and the title we received was issued in 1960.

A tree fell on the cab some time ago and left a good sized dent that we pushed out with the hydraulic ram from an engine hoist. All unnecessary parts were stripped out of the cab, which was not much because most things had been removed or destroyed during its tenure in a ditch. The passenger side has some old school lead repair, and some awesome lichen growth.

Based off the width of the S-10 frame, my Dad and I decided to cut 9 inches out of the center of the cab so it would fit snug on the frame. When we decided to build a rat rod we wanted an older, narrower cab, but we could not find one in our price range. However, the narrowed cab actually ended up looking somewhat like an older cab. The change was pretty dramatic, and the pictures do not do the chop true justice.

Attached Files
            Last edited by Hot Rod 47 Chevy; 02-21-2014, 08:26 AM.
            Tyler

There's nothing like building up an old automobile from scratch and wiping out one of these Detroit machines... That'll give you a set of emotions that will stay with you... Know what I mean? Those satisfactions are permanent...

Comment

Build Pictures Chopping the Top

Sadly, I do cannot find a good picture of the actual chopping, but here are the before and after pictures. The chop was about 3 inches. It is not as aggressive as some hot rods, but a more aggressive chop would not have been good for high performance driving.

Attached Files
              Tyler

Comment

Build Pictures Firewall & Floorboards

The firewall/cowl was chopped off, and a smooth smoother firewall was fabricated to maximize clearance. An inset was also added to accommodate the distributor since the engine is set back so far. A bulge was added on the driver's side to allow for a bit more room for the pedals. Then the floor and a tunnel were fabricated to maximize room. The back part of the floor was eventually covered up as well, but for some reason that was not done yet.

Attached Files
                Tyler

Comment

Build Pictures Cab & Truck Bed

Extra metal on the back of the cab was trimmed off and the cab was channeled to fit down over the frame. The bottom of the cab was very rusty so some of metal was cut off of the doors and firewall area. On the doors some patch panels were added, but it was less than the removed material so technically this cab has been chopped in every direction. Our '47 Chevy was a flatbed so we picked up a period correct bed for $50 without a tailgate. I cut the bed apart and it was sized to fit the proportions of our build. The skin of the S-10 tailgate was reused since I couldn't find an older tailgate for cheap.

Attached Files
                  Last edited by Hot Rod 47 Chevy; 02-21-2014, 08:27 AM.
                  Tyler

Comment

Build Pictures Grille, Front Bumper, Interior

The grille and front bumper are narrowed versions of the original '47 grille and bumper. The headlights and turn signals are universal street rod parts that I purchased with a gift certificate that I won as a door prize at a car show. The original seats are from a Dodge Neon that was scrapped for a family member. The steering rod is the original rod out of the '47 Chevy. The pedals and shifter were in the S-10. The steering wheel is from a swap meet. The Goodguy's show in September of 2009 was a time crunch so a crude dash cover was used. Since then a new dash has been fabricated. Plastic side windows were also added when it started to get cold. I actually drove the hot rod today, and it was only 32 degrees outside! It was a bit chilly without a heater but not too bad. The last picture is how the hot rod looked when it went to Goodguy's in September 2009. That was about 8 months after my Dad and I started the project. There are so many significant and minor tweaks that I could probably write a book about it. If anyone is interested in a detail let me know, and I will do my best to explain it. I hope to inspire some people or give them some ideas.

Attached Files
                    Last edited by Hot Rod 47 Chevy; 02-21-2014, 08:27 AM.
                    Tyler

Comment

Man that thing is TITS!!!! I like the look of that ALOT!!!!..... wonderful job!!
                      DEEZ NUTZ.......... Ya know.... A lil crazy!!!!!

RAT RODS - Putting smiles on peoples faces all over the world!

Comment

75$

tHIS SHOWS IT DEFF CAN STILL BE DONE, GREAT BUILD FOR SURE! GREAT STANCE AND LOVE WHAT YALL DID WITH THE CAB!
                        1956 Dodge pickup, and 1931 Ford Tudor w/440 Mopar

Outkasts CC
                        Northside of Houston Tx.

Comment

Build Pictures Frame & Suspension

The chassis started as stripped down '84 S-10 Extended Cab frame. The extended cab length turned out to be excellent because it allowed us to shorten the frame but keep the middle section of the frame with flat frame rails. The wheelbase was loosely based off my'82 Z28 Camaro. The entire frame was boxed in too.

The lower control arms were stock style pieces modified to clear the wide 15 inch wheels, and both the upper and lower control arms were boxed in for strength. The front uses generic two inch S-10 drop spindles. Originally, custom sway bar links made from a modified Lincoln Towncar were used. Custom bushings were machined for the suspension using a lathe and Derlin stock.

Engine mounts were made to mount the engine further back and lower down on the lower control arm brace. The truck body was built around the engine. The brace that held the carrier bearing for the drive shaft became the transmission cross member. Oddly enough one half of the original S-10 two piece drive shaft was just the right length.

The rear end is the stock style S-10 unit with a factory style Posi-Trac unit out of a G-Body. The original coilovers came from of swap meet and were off of a dirt track car. The coilovers were less than ideal, but at first they worked okay. The rear sway bar was from a 2nd gen Trans Am and modified to fit. The sway bar arms are made from the spikes off of a John Deere 60 front loader. Originally the sway bar links were from a Ford F-550, but some custom adjustable links were made to save weight and allow for adjustment. The custom triangulated ladder bars pivot from a single spherical bearing and attach to the rear of the transmission cross member. There is a custom brace and panhard bar loosely based off of a 3rd gen Camaro design. Spare 3rd gen Camaro rotors and calipers on the rear with custom cut brackets. The axle had to be machined a small amount to accommodate the rotors.

The original fuel tank was made from a 30 gallon hydraulic reservoir cut in half to hold 15 gallons. We originally ran E-85 in the hot rod. I ran out of gas once so a float type gas gauge was eventually added.

Attached Files
                          Last edited by Hot Rod 47 Chevy; 02-21-2014, 08:28 AM.
                          Tyler

Comment

Best 75 bucks you ever spent. Sick truck.

Comment

Who cares what some people think as long as you had fun building it and you enjoy driving it!! BTW I think your truck looks pretty sweet.

Comment

Working...
                              X