Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bubblie51
    replied
    Front end half way test fitted and pulled back apart. Stripped and start fixing the big dents. Hopefully it will be in prim this weekend.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Old Stuff
    replied
    progress- eating the elephant one bite at a time.

Leave a comment:

• bubblie51
    replied
    Knocked out the rust repair on the driver fender today since work sent us home a couple hours early due to the weather rolling in.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• bubblie51
    replied
    Originally posted by Gene View Post
    Looks good from here. Its good to see someone doing something.

Patching frames is a lot easier with the sheet metal out of the way. I did it for years under the sheet metal on customers cars and trucks, not much fun. Hopefully the new black paint isn't from a spray car.

I built a new bumper for my truck last spring, gave it 3 coats of Rustoleum semi gloss black. The paint has already pealed off the bumper in several places. Not what I wanted at all. Gene
    Yea itís from a can. It was a rust inhibitor primer from John Deere and then I used a flat black paint from John Deere. I do hazardous household waste disposal 2 Times a month for my job and you would be surprised of what kind of paints and garage items people throw away. I just used it a bunch of brand new stuff that they had us dispose of.

Leave a comment:

• Gene
    replied
    Looks good from here. Its good to see someone doing something.

Patching frames is a lot easier with the sheet metal out of the way. I did it for years under the sheet metal on customers cars and trucks, not much fun. Hopefully the new black paint isn't from a spray car.

I built a new bumper for my truck last spring, gave it 3 coats of Rustoleum semi gloss black. The paint has already pealed off the bumper in several places. Not what I wanted at all. Gene

Leave a comment:

• bubblie51
    replied
    Lots of plating and frame reinforcement the last couple weeks. Been slammed at work so I havenít had much time to work on the truck as much as I wanted.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• bubblie51
    replied
    Well I got it fired up and working on finishing my wiring and mounting the tank this week.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• bubblie51
    replied
    I probably had enough left over parts in my garage and 2 sheds to build this truck if I was going automatic. I mainly needed the pedals and column. But have a shed thatís full of random cars Iíve saved parts from.

Leave a comment:

• Gene
    replied
    I figured out a long time ago that I shouldn't get rid of a donor (or the remains of the original vehicle) until at least the new project was on the road. Its pretty amazing how many times you can run out to the pile and get something else you need. Sometimes after your driving the project, you think of something you wish you would have kept. I can see how some guys never get rid of anything, there is always that one part...

At some point, you just have to get rid of the 2 or 3 parts donors for that were for the last project though. You need the space for the next parts donor.

Leave a comment:

• bubblie51
    replied
    With mine the good part was that I have done this before with an S 10. I think I saved way more parts that I really needed to but I can always scrap them at a later time. Today I got the cab pretty much squared up in the front clip sitting on it so I can set it where I want for the wheels to line up.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Old Stuff
    replied
    I had a '96 donor that I pulled apart (to some degree) before I ran it across the scales. Just wasn't set up to keep it for the long term future scrounging. About 2 weeks after that I started thinking of other parts I wish I'd pulled, and continue to think about more. LOL.

Leave a comment:

• bubblie51
    replied
    Made some huge headway yesterday. Got my 91 Silverado stripped down and cab sitting on top of the frame. Itís always something when it came to the 91 pulled the bed to find I ripped the shock mount off the frame in the last couple weeks. Today Iíll be scrapping the old body of my 91 and picking up metal for the cab mounts and new gas tank cross braces.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• bubblie51
    replied
    Insulation and glove box came in yesterday and was able to start on the interior a little but not getting too deep on that til itís sitting on the frame which Iíll hopefully have ready Saturday
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• bubblie51
    replied
    Bondo ainít bad if the metal is clean underneath. But in my experience there shouldnít be a reason to have the 1/2Ē of bondo on the front of the fender. Passenger fender wasnít bad
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Gene
    replied
    I am anticipating getting back to the body work on my truck in the spring. I can't say I'm looking forward to it, I really don't like doing body work, but I'm too cheap to pay someone to do it. I did pound some of the lumps out of the truck fender, and I welded patches onto the bottom of both doors, patches on the bottom of both rear fenders, and a patch on the roof, before I brushed on some red oxide primmer. I'll probably spend some time trying to flatten it out a little more before the filler work starts, but I won't get carried away. This truck is my winter driver, and it will be driven on our salt covered roads. In a little more then 5 years, I'll probably be patching it up some more. Cut out the rust, weld on some patches, do a little hammer & dolly work, filler over the weld joints, and throw some more paint at it. Gene

Leave a comment:

Working...
X