My 1940 Dodge truck Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Old Stuff View Post
    Couper that is super! Couldn't be happier for you and am a bit jelous! LOL! BTW- those flames make a common modern truck look absolutely fantastic.

Now that you're done goofing off..... get back on that hot rod! LMAO!
    Hey Thanks Old Stuff! Nothing common about that bugger..... LOL I'm also a fiberglass junkie :)

Attached Files

Comment

• Nothing "common" what so ever! O...............M........................Gosh! That innocent looking side view of a cool flame job didn't begin to reveal things!
      https://www.killbillet.com/forum/30s...the-30-chevyMy 1930 Chevy truck build link:

Comment

• I'm really dragging this on.... but garage is done, dust curtains are in.... I cut the material and Rich from Richards Upholstery in West Milford sewed the hems & installed the grommets. Super job at a very reasonable price. I highly recommend him. The whole curtain job cost me 50% less than if I would have bought them from a curtain mfr I won't mention. I'm wiring the house inside & out for CCTV. Almost 800 feet of CAT6 run. Thanks for crimping the ends and testing the runs Rob Nichols. Getting ready for the Zombie Apocalypse! I have to sandblast the door and get going soon.
        Attached Files

Comment

• The dust curtains are really cool. Never thought about doing something like that but can see where that'd be totally useful. Don't forget to say "hi" to the hot rod! LOLHang in there Couper!
          https://www.killbillet.com/forum/30s...the-30-chevyMy 1930 Chevy truck build link:

Comment

• Hey Old Stuff....... boy things keep getting in the way. Went out last weekend to trouble shoot my 25 year old hot tub......Ive been patching it for years now.
            I went out with my meter and a long nose plyer to pull the flat blade terminals off the heater switch and as I grabbed the second blade, I tugged and pulled the switch right out of the heater. At first I thought I broke the switch, but that would have been too easy. I ripped the rotted side right off heater. It was stainless but rotted, go figure. Maybe 304 not and 316. At any rate I yelled a few choice cuss words that are my go to cuss words and ran for the saw-zall. Two hours later it looked like this. When out and bought a new one and had to fly it into its spot with a crane. New hot tub in place. If nothing else goes wrong.....I will mount my cameras and be back on the hot rod in another week or so....... Happy Thanksgiving! You too Gene!
            Attached Files

Comment

• That's a pretty serious hot tub replacement process! Was that how the 1st one got put there, or were the outside walls installed after the hot tub was already there? I suppose the room would be pretty useless without a hot tub, hopefully the new one lasts 25 years, and will make it worth the expense of changing it out. Gene

Comment

• Hey Gene! No....I built the walls around the first one. I actually built the walls so they could be moved. Built them on a 6x6 pressure treated base and lag bolted them togther and into the house, but that was 25 years ago. They sit on a gravel base that stays wet so the base of the removable wall has some rot. I figured if I try to move it..... it might go to sh*t and if I left it alone, it might last the rest of my lifetime. You can't see any of the rot..... it's below grade and the rest of the wall / siding is perfect. So, 850 for a crane or 500 or so to rebuild the wall, more work for me..... I picked the later. I'm tired pal. :o(

There's no way I could live without a hot tub.....I use it every night before bed. Rain, snow it doesn't matter I'm in it. I'm a bad sleeper and it helps me relax. Sometimes I wake up up in the middle of the night and I'm back in it. Yes I'm a weird duck!

Have a great Thanksgiving!

Bob

Comment

• Merry christmas guys!

Comment

• Merry Christmas to you and your family as well. I do hope the New Year brings a better year for everyone as well. Gene

Comment

• Thank you Gene. Yes.....I'm with you on the better year for all. Best to you pal!

Comment

• Hey Guys. Hope you are all well.....all good here. I'm ack to having some fun... I'm on the driver side door. Finished the chop of the door frame, repairing some rot on the side and bottom of the door box, reinforced the hinge support and patch on the bottom skin. Few pics
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Little patch work on the side of the door box. Once I opened it up I found the rot went thru to the hinge support. I sliced a piece of pipe and fit it into that recess. The support was pretty rotted so the weld isn't pretty but it's solid now. Patch is in-place and I'll finish it up tomorrow.
                          Attached Files

Comment

• Hey guys....it just occurred to me that some of my writing here is like I'm talking to guys who don't know anything.....LOL. I have a Facebook page for my build and many of my friends who follow it are car guys but not fab guys so I'm addressing them (dummys haha) so no disrespect for you guys....or Gene that walking encyclopedia :)

Some progress from the last week....I cut out the rest of the floor and fabbed up the new door sill. I needed to tie in the sill which is 1/8" 1.5 x 1.5 square tubing bent to follow the curve of the door. In the rear it is welded to the rear length of angle iron that runs across the back of the cab and then to the front to a piece of angle that runs on a 45 degree or so angle under the area between the firewall and door hinges. Confused? HaHa Next step is to fab the rocker skirt to match the one you can see on the passenger side
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Little more for the week...I have to fab the hinge pins for this door yet so I have the cart ahead of the horse. The temporary pins are pretty tight so I'm ok. I'm fitting the door to the opening to get the lines right. This requires grinding back the area of the pinch weld where it's to tight / close and welding up the edge where the gap is too big. In grinding back the edge pinch weld wants to separate so it has to be seal welded, then finish ground. Some pictures for your enjoyment.
                              Attached Files

Comment

• Welding the edges of the door skin and door housing is a pita. I'm way to lazy to do a lot of that, so I tend to not be to concerned about things like door gaps. Details were not ever my strong suit. My junk was always in really bad shape before I came into ownership, just getting the doors to close was a huge deal most of the time. I was always more concerned about building great drivers then worrying about the fine details, but I'm getting better at the details.

I suppose knowing I have less then stellar body skills probably had a large impact on the lack of concerns about things like door gaps. Perfect door gaps and crappy body work and runs in the paint just don't match up very well.

Its the kind of thing that really makes me appreciate the guys like you that take the time to do this stuff right! Gene

Comment

Working...
                                X