Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First build - International - Gonna be different...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First build - International - Gonna be different...

This past weekend I brought home the start of my first rat project. It's a '47? International KS5 cab and front end.

It's got some heavy rust here and there, but should work fine for this. Here's my dilemma - I've looked at a lot of pictures over the last year, and while they all look great I want to do something very different "just because"...

So - here are some of the major components I have in mind. I have no budget for this, so gotta stay on the thrifty side:
    Engine - it's an International truck, so going with an International (Navistar) engine - either a 6.9 or 7.3 pre-powerstroke depending which I find a deal on. Not a horsepower monster, but plenty for fun and I like black smoke...

Tranny - already have a Ford E4OD that mates to that engine. Even better, I have Baumann Engineering stand alone programmable computer to control it.

Rear end - already have a Ford 10.25" from a 90's F250 with less than 100k on it. Also have the driveshaft to connect this tranny and rear.

Wheels and tires - I want a tall look, and already have a set of the 8 Lug F250 wheels. With a standard truck 235-85-16 in highway rib you get a big sidewall tire that resembles older tires. Might go dual in back - haven't decided.

Front end - again staying cheap I'm thinking it would be easy to use a Ford twin I beam from the same era truck. Yeah - it's not very good geometry, but would be easy to implement.

Ok, now for the part where I want to stray from the norm. I want to put the cab right up at the front of the chassis, with the engine behind the cab. I like cabovers, and want to build along those lines. I'm just trying to decide if I can get a decent look without it ending up too long. Here is a line drawing of the side view for a 120" wb that I think would be long enough to squeeze the driveline into:

Did I mention the plans for the cab? I want to build a COE style nose using the original grill, a chuck of the hood, and some extra sheet metal. It would go forward from the front of the cab about 16". I want to do a small chop on the cab, mostly on the front to rake the roof a bit. I also want to cut a lot off the bottom of the cab since it's about rotted off anyway. The idea is to then cut out the firewall, making the seating more car-like with your legs going forward into the nose. And, as shown on the drawing I want the front wheels to be back further than normal so that the front of the tires are jsut behind the tip of the nose.

I really need to get a better grip on using photo editors to help visualize all this. I might have to shorten it up with the engine in the bed and some kind of wacky driveline to make it work and have the correct proportions.

u r sick.....but....WOW, gotta love the idea, hope it works out. I love the old grills, u gotta fer sure put it up front.
    Marriage is like a card game,. It starts off with two hearts and a diamond and ends with a club and a spade.

Comment

awesome idea, think you should have the motor in the bed. bolt up the trans, short a** drive shaft, dually rear. slick

Comment

Ok, I am about useless with photo editting software, but here is a feeble stab at the concept for the cab:

Comment

Marv's interpretation is magnitudes better:

The wheels he used are taller than I'd planned, but I'm kinda liking them. The rest dead on...

Comment

hehe that' is RADDD

Comment

Awesome rat

Marc done an excellent job on the photo shop!! That is an awesome build your creating. Different from everyone and that's what's best about it!! I'm on my first build, a 36 ford pickup. I'm trying to make it a little different but also trying to keep it kinda simple. Hard for a married 25 year old poor boy to get crazy on this stuff! I do work at a scrap metal yard part time so that's helping me find some treasures.good luck on this build. I will be following this one!

Comment

Awesome to see someone building a old IHC. Those grills are one of a kind.

Comment

So, aside from the IHC, it's gonna be like this one:

Comment

There are definitely similarities, but I am going for a rather different look. He still has the typical wheels forward stretched front end look of most rats, where I'm hanging the nose out past the wheels. I'm also taking very different chassis approaches, and modifying the cab more. Mine is going to have a very chopped cab - cutting 12 inches off the bottom of the cab, and making it a car like seating position. But yes, I am getting inspiration from that one and really like it... Hadn't seen the muddy pic before, btw!

Comment

Dude I love it crazy idea, keep everyone posted good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by bdmridgeback View Post

So, aside from the IHC, it's gonna be like this one:

********so...how are you going to steer it ???...I hope that you can rig a power steering unit ti work...If not, you must be one strong m%$#@&*r !!!

Comment

this is a really cool idea. hope to see more progress pics on it. would you put the intake below the top of the cab or have it peaking up above for a kinda "guess what i've got behind my back" type idea?

Comment

looks like those big wheels you wanna use might scrub the cab.

kool layout. can't wait to see it!
                            Bodyman, painter, frame guy.. basically I hit sh*t with hammers..

Comment

awesome idea, keep the pics comin

Comment

Working...
                              X