1948 Chevy going fenderless!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1948 Chevy going fenderless!!!!

I know what you all are thinking! They look so good with the fenders on! And I like them too, but I want something different and I'm going to make this IT!

I Bought this truck 5 years ago for $15.00 at an estate auction, it had a wrecker bed on it and was homely looking. So I removed the wrecker bed and started cutting. I chopped it 3 1/2" and started on the frame. Work got crazy and my project found new life on blocks behind the shop. It's now 2009 and I am finally at a place where I can get working on it. And by God I want this to be a rat so I will start with the pictures I have of it sitting behind the shop and will get some more of it getting the attention it deserves inside the shop ready to be a daiily driver in the works.

By the way I sold the wrecker boom and winch that was from back in the 50's to a guy in southeeast Kansas that is building a "TOWMATER" truck. When he sends me pics I will show them to you all.

2 of the pics below are the actual truck, the other 2 I was messing around looking at chopping it more. Let me know what you think of the cab chopped more or like it is?

Thanks,
    Attached Files
    Owner of: Watkins Restorations
    Building custom parts for Rat Rods and Hot Rods, Suicide Hinges, tooling for DIY bolt pattern changes and one off custom parts!!

looks bully bro ! love it
    chop top and drop it! flat black and bag it! pin stipe and pipe it!

Comment

More Updates from a good weekend of work!

Well I started to modify the cab as I have been looking to do. As everyone knows the cabs just look a little out of place fenderless so I have turned to the inspiration of Thom Taylor and one of his truckster drawings. I'm not going to build to his drawing but rather use it as a guidline for some of the modifications I want to make to my truck to make it a "ONE OF A KIND". I hope you all enjoy the pictures and keep checking in as I will be setting the cab on the frame today to start work on mocking up the suspension so I can get the rest of the bodywork done.
      Attached Files
      Building custom parts for Rat Rods and Hot Rods, Suicide Hinges, tooling for DIY bolt pattern changes and one off custom parts!!

Comment

Yea keep the pics coming. Would like to see the conversion for future projects.
        ALWAYS A DOLLAR SHORT THAN A DAY LATE

Comment

Update

Here are some more pictures I took today in trying to get the set up figured out. I am deciding now as to what I will do with the frame. Use the stock frame and modify to work or go all out tube chassis. It wont be an open top roadster when done but at this stage it has to be!!
          Attached Files

Comment

looks good keep it up
            JUST DO IT!!!!

Comment

it looks good narrowed, cannot wait to see it with the roof

Comment

Update Info

Well after long consideration i've decided to re-work the original frame from the back of the cab forward. I am going to run an underslung rear clip, kind of a hold over from my race car building days.
                Anyway I have some more pictures of where the frame is at right now, I will be going to pick up the metal for the rear clip Monday night after work. I'm trying to get it to a rolling chassis ASAP so I can have the winter to get the bodywork all done! And when the snow melts I'll be crusin' long low and BADASS!!!!

When I mocked up the frame and looked at the front and rear to get it looking proportional my wheels base comes out to be 147". If anything it may be pulled back a bit, Not sure right now tho!! Tell me your input on a 147" wheels base!!

I need all of the feedback I can get as I progress through this build!! Thanks for checking my build out! And here are some more pictures.

Thanks,
                Attached Files

Comment

i dig what your doin and i like where you going with the frame, i did something similar to my 1947 frame
                  The regulator of funk!

Comment

here is a pic

Attached Files
                    The regulator of funk!

Comment

Update

Well it's been a few days but I will have some more pictures posted tomorrow. I spent today getting the main chassis welded together and starting on boxing the frame. Things are starting to fall in place with the build.

Keep up the work on the 47' you have!!

Thanks,

Comment

Updated Pics

I told you I would get some pics of the progress on the ride, so here are the pictures of what I got done before I ran out of welding gas!! @&*#^^$% It makes me so mad when I get in a mode and start to work and then don't check the bottle of welding gas to see where I'm at.

Anyway enjoy the progress pictures!!
                        Attached Files

Comment

Lookin good. Like the underslung rearend. looks like you have built a cage or two.
                          JUST DO IT!!!!

Comment

Sometimes it's hard to not let the racecar building bleed over into other projects.

Glad you all like it so far! Thanks for the support!!!!!!!!

Comment

yeh, I know what you mean. Mine is nothing but a racing rat. Its what i like. I am all about handling and speed. oh yeh gotta look kool 2.
                              JUST DO IT!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X