Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

getting the old coupe ready for another 7 years!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Gene.... Yes Easter was very odd here as well. Just us and no family....we'll have to have a do-over when this **** blows over. Glad to see you are busy at work on the ride and making good progress. What year is that Dakota frame your using? I did tell you I have a Dakota didn't I?

Comment

That's awesome Gene. The amount of time spent on these things would not be understood by anyone but those that do/have done it. The door adventure you had makes me think about mine that I am not really looking forward to- but part of what makes us smile when it's done. Keep enjoying!
      https://www.killbillet.com/forum/30s...the-30-chevyMy 1930 Chevy truck build link:

Comment

Yes your right...I don't know if you've seen any of my other rides but I'm always having guys at shows asking me how much to build a box or paint something. You couldn't even begin to explain it.

Comment

Before I retired in Oct 2018, I did a lot of rust repair on different vehicles for 15 years. Lots of floors, frames, and suspension mounting points. I'd get people that would call me and want to know how much it would cost to fix something rusted away on their car or truck. many wanted me to give them a "ballpark" price based on their description. I'd tell them they had to bring the vehicle to me to look at it before I would even give them any number. A few told me they didn't have a way to get it to me and wanted me to go to their place and look at it to give them a price. I told them that if they couldn't get it to me, it probably couldn't be fixed within their budget. I learned very early that if I give someone an estimate and find a bigger problem once I got into it. things didn't work out so well. I started giving estimates based on the thought that everything was bad and would be a worse case scenario, then I'd tell them if it wasn't as bad as I thought it was, it might not cost as much. I also made it clear that if I got into it and found out it was worse then I thought, I would stop and call them with new numbers, and if they decided not to go forward, they would only owe me for the time it took to find out, and that price was agreed to before hand. I did a lot of explaining on how cars were constructed back then. I think most people had a grasp of what I was dealing with before I did anything on their car. Often times the repairs I made would just buy the person a little more tie before they would have to replace the vehicle. I was pretty good at determining how much time those repairs would buy them before that place, or more likely, the next bad place would present a problem, and most people really liked that. I had a very high % of repeat, or word of mouth recommendations from my customers.

I have a few pictures for you guys.
          This afternoon I got the seat and shoulder belt bolted to the floor and the door post and I cleaned up the threads for the center belt bolts. The rear bumper, side bars and wheels were suppose to be painted today.
          Sometime within the last 4 days, I got a booboo on one of the numbers on the passenger door. My friend came by today and touched that back up. The number looks great, but it pretty well ended a lot of what I was planning to do today, because I can't make any dust in the shop until tomorrow morning. So I did what any of us would have done, I updated the "to do" list. That list is getting pretty small! Gene

Comment

Couper, The Dakota frame under the coupe is a 1990, that was the last year for the factory 5 bolt wheels.
            The Dakota frame under my 39 Dodge pickup is a 91, but I used the earlier 5 bolt rotors on it, and the rear axle is from a 70s Dodge pickup.
            The 4x4 frame under my next project (a 49 Dodge pickup) is from a 92 Dakota 4x4 and it is keeping the 6 bolt wheels.

Wasn't the frame you have from a 97 or newer Dakota? Gene

Comment

I like the clean simple functionality of the doors. Especially the handles- my kind of styling! Can't wait to see the wheels on it.
              https://www.killbillet.com/forum/30s...the-30-chevyMy 1930 Chevy truck build link:

Comment

The coupe has left the shop!
                My wife and I jumped in it late this afternoon to run a few errands. We put about 16 miles on it because I gad to get back home and clean up the shop. While we were out and about, we stopped by my sister's house and I took a few pictures of the car out in the sun.

After I got the shop cleaned up, the car went back into the shop. Its suppose to snow here tonight! I still have a few odds & ends to do, but the car is ready for the nice weather to return here.
                Just in time too, tomorrow I have to go to my buddies shop and work on making door frames and installing them on that 55 Rolls Royce I put on a Chevy Colorado frame a couple years ago. There hasn't been much of anything done to it since the last time I worked on it, my friend wants it out of his shop. then the last week of the month my son and I will be attacking the Ramcharger that on the Hemi Durango chassis. Gene

Comment

Man that looks super and makes me feel proud and happy for you Gene. Enjoy!

Comment

Looks great! Congratulations. I've really enjoyed following your progress.

Comment

Gene, The car looks awesome pal. You did an awesome job! You must feel like a million bucks driving it around! The big question now is......what are you going to do with all the extra time you have on your hands? I have an extra room if you'd like to visit :o) Stay well and stay away from that dam virus pal.

Comment

Couper, Not to worry, my son is keeping me plenty busy. Besides that, your doing a great job on your truck, I'd probably just be in the way, and slow you down with all the bs sessions we would probably have.

My son has this 91 Dodge Ramcharger body he decided to put on a 2004 Hemi Durango chassis. This thing has been an ongoing project for almost 2 years now. He brings it to my place and we work on it for a couple weeks, then it sits here in the way for a month, before he drags it back home. Its about due to leave here again. Probably in the fall he will want to bring it back for another round. Finally its getting pretty close to where he can finish it at his place.

A few months ago my son bought a place out in the country. He has a 57 Dodge wagon with a modern Hemi in it, but that car came with a parts car that has been here for almost 7 years. Since he has moved to the country, I have suggested maybe it was time to take his parts car to his place. Well, he decided we needed to take it apart and get rid of the chassis, but he also decided we needed to take it apart at my house because I have equipment here to unbolt stuff and cut other parts off. The chassis left here this afternoon, but there is still a pile of parts he wants to keep sitting on my driveway. The story of its disassembly is in the general section here, even has pictures.

When ever I get my driveway back, I have my 49 Dodge pickup to work on. It is sitting on a sandblasted and primed 92 Dakota 4x4 chassis. 3 or 4 months ago I bought a 96 318 Dakota 4x4 truck with 44,000 miles on it with a rotted out frame. That drive train is going into the 49. Currently the 96 Dakota with the rotted frame runs and drives and has been my mule to move stuff around the yard. The plan is to move the entire drive train, wiring and steering (and anything else I can use) to the frame that is under the 49, it will all bolt in. I'm going to dissemble both trucks to swap the parts, then re-assemble the 49 and make it a running and driving yard truck. The 49 will still need all the glass and an entire interior, and some body work (Yee-haa! You know I love doing that). I have a lower garage I can park the 49 in once it can move under its own power, where it can sit until I have the funding to buy the glass, weather stripping, redo the brakes, buy tires, and all the other odds and ends. I figure the drive train swap will take most of the rest of the summer (I move pretty slow these days, and being hot makes it worse). That lower garage will at least allow me to get it out of the weather until I can finish it, but it has to be able to move under its own power to get there. Then once the snow flies, its stuck there until the weather breaks. There is a 16' chain link fence gate that has to swing 90 degrees to get through, and any snow will stop the gate movement. If the gate was left open, access to the lower garage is blocked.

Pictures:
                        1st picture: This is the 49 Dodge pickup on the Dakota 4x4 chassis. At one time in its lif, it was laid over on the passenger side and damaged the door and the edge of the roof. I've done some metal repair the roof and the door, and the yellow paint was something I had handy to protect the bare metal a little.
                        2nd picture: The poor wagon in particle disassembly, but the Dakota in the back ground is the drive train donor.
                        3rd picture: This would be the Ramcharger project. It runs and moves under its own power. We need to finish modifying the joining of the dashes so he can get the windshield installed. Then front and rear bumpers are all I need to help with.
                        Gene

Comment

I'd enjoy some of those BS sessions with you! Gee wiz yes you sure do have a lot to keep you busy! The truck and the Ramcharger are cool. The wagon looks like a real project. Make sure you take some time to relax too pal. Talk soon

Comment

respect. All is love for the car. You did a good job.

Comment

Working...
                            X