Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burnin#2
    replied
    Its warming up in these parts... snow almost gone, took my rat into town again today, just nice enough out.
    get in to town and just like last time I went in, local police are doing a traffic blitz... every coo car, ghost car out, pulling people over for EVERYTHING..... except me... I almost feel left out... I though for sure I'd get pulled over to at least make sure my paperwork was in order... but nope, law enforcement has been leaving me alone :)

Glad to hear theres some steady progress on your end. it will be a great accomplishment to get the cab bolted down for the last (hopefully) time 👍

Leave a comment:

• Old Stuff
    replied
    Still alive here. Been spending some time on my '58 with new (reman) steering gear box and a new steering column intermediate shaft. The fun with hot rods....

Today my new front springs for the '30 came in. No listings anywhere I could find for that specific application but digging around on the General Spring web site I discovered that the front leaf springs for '39-'46 Chevy truck are an exact match dimensional. Also got new shackles for that application but will have to do a bit of fab work I think for that. Pics and a write-up will hopefully follow sooner than later!

Hope all you folks are doing well.

Leave a comment:

• Old Stuff
    replied
    Well........... been spending a bit of time on the truck. ( But not NEAR enough!) Battery is mounted and am getting closer to skinning the bottom of the cab so I can bolt this puppy down for good. Pics and details coming soon. Time for another cup of coffee!

Leave a comment:

• Couper
    replied
    Geeeze bro I didn't pay attention to where you were from. Keep the heat going and stay safe my friend.

Leave a comment:

• Burnin#2
    replied
    Oh boy I've been hearing about what you guys have been through with regards to the weather.... 😬
    it was a long stretch of cold for us... but nothing were not really used to -45⁰c for a stretch...
    Glad you fared ok.

It will be handy as hek to have a complete vehicle donor.. many little things you will find that you will end up harvesting from it that get overlooked orherwise.

Keep on it man!
    Take care, stay warm and healthy.

Leave a comment:

• Old Stuff
    replied
    I think it was 3 days after the last freezing temperature of the winter storm that we were up in the 70's believe it or not. That's Texas weather for ya. With all the snow gone it was perfect weather to get back on stripping the freebie truck a friend gave me. (on the trailer in the above post picture.) This thing had a hard life LOL. The tranny is wasted, interior totally junk, and lots of other short-comings, but it is providing me some good usable stuff.

Keeper stuff- the rear end, drive shaft, all the tires are good, other misc. Gas and brake lines will find a home on the '30 along with some of the electrical components. I'll be pulling a good bit of the exhaust tubing (for the bends), the serpentine belt setup for my V-6, alternator, starter, pulleys, etc. Will part out a couple things then run it across the scales- which will let me buy more parts for the '30!

Leave a comment:

• Old Stuff
    replied
    Originally posted by Couper View Post
    I'm back at it full speed Old Stuff....glad I am! Warm.... that's a rarity these days! Have fun pal!
    Here's something rare- last week the Arctic Apocalypse came through the Texas. While it gets ridiculously cold up in the northern part of the state during the winter, down here in the Hill Country area we saw temps in the low single digits. MANY folks got caught with their pants down with busted pipes, running out of food, and struggling to keep warm. Rolling black-outs were the norm but weren't too terrible for us- we fared better than many.

The Old Stuff household was really pretty much fine and dandy in the grand scope of things- fire place with plenty of wood, oil lamps, gas grill, plenty of food and water to drink, and plenty of books to read and things to think about! First run of snow was 6" over night and I woke up to see how it got way up under the covered area and settled on the '30...

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_8272.PNG Views:	0 Size:	550.4 KB ID:	728900Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_8273.PNG Views:	0 Size:	489.3 KB ID:	728899Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_8263.JPG Views:	0 Size:	113.2 KB ID:	728901Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_8270.JPG Views:	0 Size:	156.7 KB ID:	728902

Last edited by Old Stuff; 02-24-2021, 03:57 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Couper
    replied
    I'm back at it full speed Old Stuff....glad I am! Warm.... that's a rarity these days! Have fun pal!

Leave a comment:

• Old Stuff
    replied
    Originally posted by Couper View Post
    Frame work is looking awesome Old Stuff. i can't wait to start on mine! Hope you are safe and healthy pal
    Appreciate that Mr. Couper. I bet you are chomping at the bit ready to roll again. I totally get the "hitting the wall" thing as that happens to me at times also. Distractions take many forms don't they?
    Mind lately have been a purchased 6 x 12 enclosed trailer that needed structural repairs and face lift along with scavenging/parting out a worn out '96 Chevy truck that a friend gave me. (A decent amount of which will end up on the '30 and other things for future projects.

You guys stay warm.

Leave a comment:

• Old Stuff
    replied
    Originally posted by Burnin#2 View Post
    That's awesome man!
    the bags look proper.
    Thanks much. Looking forward to it warming back up here so I can get back to work. (no closed in shop- uggggg....) The last few days haven't made it above freezing with wind blowing. Forecast a high of 25 today, teens tonight, and 8 in the morning. Nothing for many folks but insane for here, especially with the humidity.

Leave a comment:

• Couper
    replied
    Frame work is looking awesome Old Stuff. i can't wait to start on mine! Hope you are safe and healthy pal

Leave a comment:

• Couper
    replied
    Originally posted by Gene View Post
    It always seems we get to a point where we have to get something completed, or at least get the odds and ends finished, before we can get motivated to keep moving forward.

I've come to the conclusion that I need to break the full project into separate smaller projects, then get one almost completely finished before I move to the next small project. Just two things I won't do that with, one is body work, I don't have much problem skipping most of that until there is nothing else I can do. The second thing is those irritating things that have to be done before something else can be done. Getting a small project done gives me that thrill of success, which makes the next issue seem not so big anymore.

I don't think I could do these major projects without the small victories along the way. Gene
    Well said Gene.... I like to do the same. I have to complete small peices to keep me motivated. I totally hit the wall there for a while after doing the garage expansion and CCTV.... but I'm back at it hard again. Couper

Leave a comment:

• Burnin#2
    replied
    That's awesome man!
    the bags look proper.

Leave a comment:

• Gene
    replied
    It always seems we get to a point where we have to get something completed, or at least get the odds and ends finished, before we can get motivated to keep moving forward.

I've come to the conclusion that I need to break the full project into separate smaller projects, then get one almost completely finished before I move to the next small project. Just two things I won't do that with, one is body work, I don't have much problem skipping most of that until there is nothing else I can do. The second thing is those irritating things that have to be done before something else can be done. Getting a small project done gives me that thrill of success, which makes the next issue seem not so big anymore.

I don't think I could do these major projects without the small victories along the way. Gene

Leave a comment:

• Old Stuff
    replied
    Originally posted by Gene View Post
    Thank you for reposting the pictures. I think it looks good, should ride pretty good and be able to tow the trailer. Gene
    thanks Gene. Probably will work on finishing up the rear end next- a missing line to the driver wheel cylinder, a brake job, mounting the e-brake lines to the frame, and shocks. It would be very nice to have a whole "section" completed. (Subject to change LOL)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X